CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I agree with Nick Saban Somewhat (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205251)

GregoryHouse 03-21-2014 06:41 PM

I agree with Nick Saban Somewhat

http://tracking.si.com/2014/03/21/ni...n-nfl-combine/
Quote:

Alabama coach Nick Saban has an idea on how the NFL could reduce the record number of college underclassmen declaring for the draft — and it involves big changes for the NFL Combine.

Saban told SiriusXM NFL radio host Phil Savage the NFL should allow underclassmen to perform at its annual predraft scouting combine prior to deciding whether to turn pro early. Saban, whose resume includes stops as an NFL assistant coach and a term as head coach of the Dolphins, said the opportunity would provide a reality check for many underclassmen who give up their college eligibility too soon.

A record 98 underclassmen have declared for this year’s NFL draft. Saban believes the league could also reverse that trend by limiting NFL Combine invitations to players evaluated to be third-round picks or higher.
“The way it’s going right now, I don’t think the NFL really wants all these guys coming out for the draft. They know they can develop better in college if they stay and play more, unless they’re going to be high draft picks,” Saban said. “It’s difficult for them to develop players the way they practice now, so if a player’s not a high pick, it’s much more difficult for them to develop as an NFL player. I even made the point that if we’re not going to do something like (an underclassman combine), maybe if a guy doesn’t have at least a top-three-round grade, you don’t even invite him to the combine.”
Saban’s third-round prospect cutoff would reduce the more than 300 players who participated in this year’s combine by about two thirds — a number the four-time national championship coach believes is more realistic for underclassmen with delusions of NFL grandeur.
I don't think they should reduce the amount of players they invite to the NFL combine but I totally agree that the players should be able to participate in a "mini" combine to get an more thorough evaluation comparing straight measurements against their peers. The underclassmen who participate in the mini combine could then have the option of continuing with their eligibility.

Spurrier_Superior_One 03-21-2014 06:49 PM

Re: I agree with Nick Saban Somewhat

Saban is right on this, give them a chance to have enough information at hand so they can make an informed decision. As long as they retain amateur status as defined by the NCAA this is a great idea.

rioninusc 03-21-2014 07:07 PM

Great Idea Saban. I disagree with the third round and up only though. I think it should be who they would normally invite that were underclassmen to this pre-combine. Might even add in a couple of border players that potentially can go higher. Now get them graded, and scored at the pre- combine. If they are potential top 3 round pick then let them go to the normal combine that would be called the Final combine, or Combine. Of course the pre-combine should be underclassmen only.

Acockolypse Now 03-21-2014 07:50 PM

It could save some guys from making decisions based off of nothing more than what some agent's runner has told them.

roosterdude21 03-21-2014 08:07 PM

Agreed

CockyCody 03-22-2014 10:04 AM

Looks like Nick Satan may have got this one right!:wink:

HeadCockFan 03-22-2014 10:37 AM

Saban is Napoleon. That is all.

justalilcocky 03-22-2014 10:42 AM

I think the NBA used to do this as well..they have a pre-draft camp in Chicago and underclassmen were allowed to play in it before they had to declare. I think it would be a good idea for the NFL too.

sandstorm2001 03-22-2014 11:42 AM

They could have NFL teams meet and have a "draft" for the combine. 2 rounds, and the only players you choose are those that have college eligibility remaining but who are eligible for the draft. Teams have the option of not selecting anyone. That means only 64 underclass man will get invites to the combine. This is not a draft to place players on teams, just one for NFL to teams select which players they would like to see at the combine who are underclass an. The NFL would still extend as many invitations as it would like to graduating players.

Also this "draft" would be anonymous. The list of players selected is released in alphabetical order and it doesn't say which teams picked them.

35-21 03-22-2014 01:37 PM

Saban may be on to something here.

I have always thought that the system that is in place is kind of inefficient. Why not let the colleges have their pro days (adjust spring practice restrictions) from late February through March, then send out grades and combine invites based on that (holding the combine the first week of May)?

catdaddy66 03-22-2014 02:14 PM

It's a great idea in theory. Practically speaking, how would these players afford their training before the combine at the elite camps as they do now. That's expensive sh$t and would require the $ an agent or endorsement would give.

That's the only negative I see. I personally agree with the sentiment though.

yazoo 03-22-2014 03:19 PM

The problem is travel costs. I don't think players, who are still technically amateurs, would be allowed to receive room, food, and travel costs for the trip. Saban's idea would work well for Alabama, where there are lots of wealthy boosters who know how to get money to their team's players. I don't think South Carolina's players, who try to comply with the NCAA rules, would be able to take advantage of the early camp idea as easily as 'Bamas.

sandstorm2001 03-22-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35-21 (Post 4118788)
Saban may be on to something here.

I have always thought that the system that is in place is kind of inefficient. Why not let the colleges have their pro days (adjust spring practice restrictions) from late February through March, then send out grades and combine invites based on that (holding the combine the first week of May)?

Who decides who gets the invites? The league or the teams? Would this require every NFL team to have a scout present for EVERY pro day?

Quote:

Originally Posted by catdaddy66 (Post 4118804)
It's a great idea in theory. Practically speaking, how would these players afford their traing before he combine at the elite camps as they do now. That's expensive sh$t and would require the $ an agent or endorsement would give.

That's the only negative I see. I personally agree with the sentiment though.

Could play into recruiting with college programs hiring conditioning coaches that specialize in preparing for this sort of thing so the kids don't have to get the money to go to one of those camps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazoo (Post 4118853)
The problem is travel costs. I don't think players, who are still technically amateurs, would be allowed to receive room, food, and travel costs for the trip. Saban's idea would work well for Alabama, where there are lots of wealthy boosters who know how to get money to their team's players. I don't think South Carolina's players, who try to comply with the NCAA rules, would be able to take advantage of the early camp idea as easily as 'Bamas.

You don't know any more about what goes on behind the scenes at Bama than you do what goes on behind the scenes at Carolina. I would be surprised if either of us are squeaky clean.

My solution for this would be allowing the schools some kind of travel budget to take their players that get invited to the combine up there for the day or two they are competing, the same way schools are able to take their kids on bowl trips, etc. The kids somehow get to awards ceremonies and the ESPYs and trips to be interviewed on ESPN, etc. I don't really see how this would be any different.

sandstorm2001 03-22-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 (Post 4118730)
They could have NFL teams meet and have a "draft" for the combine. 2 rounds, and the only players you choose are those that have college eligibility remaining but who are eligible for the draft. Teams have the option of not selecting anyone. That means only 64 underclass man will get invites to the combine. This is not a draft to place players on teams, just one for NFL to teams select which players they would like to see at the combine who are underclass an. The NFL would still extend as many invitations as it would like to graduating players.

Also this "draft" would be anonymous. The list of players selected is released in alphabetical order and it doesn't say which teams picked them.

Other people are giving timelines for things, so I just wanted to add that this "draft" would take place following the end of the regular season, before the deadline to declare for the draft. It would give players a really good idea of how they are perceived by the NFL prior to making the decision to stay or go. You can still leave early if you aren't selected for a combine invite, you'll just have to keep in mind that you won't have that opportunity to increase your stock, and you're already in the third round of a draft that doesn't even include upperclassman.