CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   What about starting Crowe (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205257)

5150harley 03-21-2014 10:27 PM

What about starting Crowe

As the opening pitcher of series to come?

He's got some game time under his belt now.

GamecockStud 03-21-2014 11:09 PM

Re: What about starting Crowe

I think we give Montgomery at least one more Friday start, probably two. It appears from what I've read/seen/heard, he's trying too hard to get his velocity up and his placement is suffering. If he can tame it back down and focus more on his control, he may reassert himself as the starter.

Crowe has already earned a starting role in the weekend rotation as a freshman. I don't think moving him to the friday slot in the 3rd conference series is necessary at this time. If anything, they'd put Wynkoop there, one would think

GamecockInHell 03-22-2014 01:08 PM

Montgomery seems to have problems getting his pitches down as well as locating inside and out. His curve has started to begin at the head and fall about belt high instead of starting belt high and dropping to the knees. He just doesn't seem right. I hope Beal can come in and pitch well. I think maybe we should switch Wyncoop and Montgomery to take a little pressure off Monty and see how it works. And I think next year Crowe is out Friday night guy.

rosstheboss 03-22-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockStud (Post 4118568)
I think we give Montgomery at least one more Friday start, probably two. It appears from what I've read/seen/heard, he's trying too hard to get his velocity up and his placement is suffering. If he can tame it back down and focus more on his control, he may reassert himself as the starter.

Crowe has already earned a starting role in the weekend rotation as a freshman. I don't think moving him to the friday slot in the 3rd conference series is necessary at this time. If anything, they'd put Wynkoop there, one would think

Haven't seen this really mentioned anywhere but it is obvious Monty is throwing a little harder this year. Probably because that's what scouts and "advisors" want to see. However, when at his best he threw very similar to Roth just without the changing of arm slots. I will say last night the 2 errors in the first seemed to really get him rattled and we were down 10-1 before he could settle in. Hope he is just starting slow and will get it going, but another poor start and we have to shift the rotation around. Can't keep falling behind in weekend series. Need a big start from Jack today.

Gamecockfanatic4 03-25-2014 02:50 AM

Its a rest issue with Crowe going from a weeks rest to 5 days rest would be a challenge I'm sure Myers would have him on a tight pitch count too

ReadR00ster 03-25-2014 03:19 AM

Don't see any reason to change the rotation. Verlander had a shaky year last year too and he got it together. He personally think he is trying to hard to throw to exact spots and the batters are either ready for it or he is just missing the spots. I think he should work a little faster and go after these guys more on first and second pitches, get ahead and on 2-2, 3-2 counts go after them again. We have a good BP, he doesn't have to save his arm trying nibble with a bunch of off-speed junk like Roth used to do for us.

KLUCAS 03-25-2014 07:38 AM

Personally, I wouldn't move Crowe from Sunday no matter how much Gumby struggles on Friday Night. Winning on Sunday in the SEC is so vital, and so underappreciated. I completely understand you don't want to be behind the 8 ball in every series, but flipping Wynkoop to Fri night would be my first option. Koop hasn't been dominant, but other than Ole Miss he's pitched pretty well IMO.

Crowe is our ace in the whole, and by throwing him on Sunday we're almost guaranteed to have an advantage on the mound because the opposition is throwing their legitimate 3rd guy....when we're throwing one of our best.

However, come postseason we could definitely shake things up. We've been very spoiled in the fact that since Monte made one of his first starts two years ago vs TN at home he's been REALLY good for the most part. From his FR year throwing lights out in an elemination game in the CWS, to last years dominant performance in Chapel Hill he's obviously got that "it" factor on the big stage.

If we hit the ball/play good d, we should be tough to beat any night no matter a less than steller performance on the mound from one of our starters.

GabbieM 03-25-2014 01:29 PM

I'm going with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for Crowe. His Sunday starts are comfortable to him currently and trying to change up with the SEC series might be a bad idea.

On the other hand.. I want to see more of Reed Scott. Hopefully he gets some time in these mid week games. Guy shut Ole Miss down and held them at 4 runs to let us win the Sat game. Really looked good out there on the big stage. I feel like if he can always be lock down like that, he could be a sick start or closer depending on how you look at it.

catdaddy66 03-25-2014 02:15 PM

Coach Holbrook said that Monty is struggling with his bread-n-butter pitch, the change up. When he commands that pitch he is elite. When he struggles with it, he is average. I know he and coach Meyers will get it straightened out soon enough...