CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   8 or 9 SEC games? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205305)

Carolinafan8908 03-24-2014 02:00 PM

8 or 9 SEC games?
 
I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's thoughts on whether or not to stay with 8 SEC games, or move to 9. Coach Spurrier supports those who wish to stay with an 8 game system. Playing two teams from the West, one permanent, one rotating annually. I have the up most respect for Coach Spurrier, but I support a 9 game SEC schedule. I think it would make the season that much more exciting. Also, speaking as a season ticket holder, it gives one the chance to see more SEC stadiums in a shorter amount of time. Those against 9 games don't like the idea of having 4 home SEC games and 5 away SEC games. But everyone in the SEC would have that burden to bear, not just Our Gamecocks! I think it would be for the good of our University and our conference! In 1992 when the SEC expanded to 12 teams and we joined, every SEC coach was against the SEC Title Game. They said it would water down the sport or keep a team out of the National Championship Game. Since the SEC title game was created, 10 teams from the SEC have won National Championships. So they were WRONG. It made college football even better. And has become the 2nd biggest and 2nd most important game in college football only behind the National Championship Game. I think a 9th SEC game like the creation of the SEC title game in 1992 will only enhance the greatness of the SEC!

HUGEGARNETCOCK 03-24-2014 02:31 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolinafan8908 (Post 4120277)
I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's thoughts on whether or not to stay with 8 SEC games, or move to 9. Coach Spurrier supports those who wish to stay with an 8 game system. Playing two teams from the West, one permanent, one rotating annually. I have the up most respect for Coach Spurrier, but I support a 9 game SEC schedule. I think it would make the season that much more exciting. Also, speaking as a season ticket holder, it gives one the chance to see more SEC stadiums in a shorter amount of time. Those against 9 games don't like the idea of having 4 home SEC games and 5 away SEC games. But everyone in the SEC would have that burden to bear, not just Our Gamecocks! I think it would be for the good of our University and our conference! In 1992 when the SEC expanded to 12 teams and we joined, every SEC coach was against the SEC Title Game. They said it would water down the sport or keep a team out of the National Championship Game. Since the SEC title game was created, 10 teams from the SEC have won National Championships. So they were WRONG. It made college football even better. And has become the 2nd biggest and 2nd most important game in college football only behind the National Championship Game. I think a 9th SEC game like the creation of the SEC title game in 1992 will only enhance the greatness of the SEC!

I have often thought about this as well. However I would rather see SEC schools schedule GOOD out of conference games instead of schools such as Wofford , SC State etc. . I would like to have the chance to see us play a Oregon, Southern Cal. or a Michigan knowing that in the next couple of years we will be seeing our Western Division counterparts in conference play. I vote to keep the 8 game conference schedule. But I do see your point.

CockyCody 03-24-2014 02:50 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
I believe that the only reason we play the likes of Wofford, SC State, etc is because it is mandated by the State Legislature. I think it is their way of helping those schools out with a big pay out. I may be wrong but if I am, I am sure someone else will let us know.:wink:

HUGEGARNETCOCK 03-24-2014 02:52 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyCody (Post 4120312)
I believe that the only reason we play the likes of Wofford, SC State, etc is because it is mandated by the State Legislature. I think it is their way of helping those schools out with a big pay out. I may be wrong but if I am, I am sure someone else will let us know.:wink:

It may very well be. I have always heard there was something to that nature for us to play Klimpsun but have never heard of it for the smaller schools.

HUGEGARNETCOCK 03-24-2014 02:56 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
We have played UAB and Florida Atlantic in the past 5 years or so (probably others as well) that I would like see us not schedule. I do not like to pay for those tickets as a season ticket holder I would much rather see a good match-up.

treyno2722 03-24-2014 02:59 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
I won't comment on the 8 or 9 SEC games but I never liked it when they went to 12 games. There are so many terrible games in college football now. You would have to look a long time to find 5 interesting match-ups on any given week before conference play begins. With college football being the cash cow that it is, they will never go back to 11 games.

MWard 03-24-2014 03:09 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
I like the option for having 9 SEC games. Our players still have the same odds of getting hurt against a Coastal Carolina or Mississippi State. Miss St might have a better shot at beating us than Coastal, but we shouldn't let competition scare us. Also, we do a good job of selling tickets for FCS and OCC games, but the SEC games will bring us more money (part of the new SEC Network deal.)

MisterClowney 03-24-2014 03:14 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
I want 11 SEC games. SEC SEC SEC!

Spur's Addiction 03-24-2014 03:44 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyCody (Post 4120312)
I believe that the only reason we play the likes of Wofford, SC State, etc is because it is mandated by the State Legislature. I think it is their way of helping those schools out with a big pay out. I may be wrong but if I am, I am sure someone else will let us know.:wink:

I doubt it. This has been said bout the Carolina -Clem game. But I have never seen proof. This takes it a step further. The games against wofford and Furman and the like started while Hyman was AD. He said it was good to keep some of the money in state at the smaller school. I don' think there was ever a law involved.

Spur's Addiction 03-24-2014 03:46 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
And I would prefer to 9 SEC games.

Thenardier 03-24-2014 03:48 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
I say 9 games so Auburn moves into the SEC East! WOOO

rioninusc 03-24-2014 06:56 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4120352)
I say 9 games so Auburn moves into the SEC East! WOOO

Are we going to go with two permanent division rivals?, because that is the only way this works. No way BAMA gives up UT each year if AU moves over. The only way this happens is if UT is traded for AU. Although I wouldn't mind if BAMA would be the only school in the conference with two perm rivals :P Wouldn't have to face them as much:). I think it's best to get two more schools and break into 4 divisions. Put BAMA, AU, UGA, and UT in one division when that happens the problem is solved.

JaxcockFL 03-24-2014 07:26 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
There are a lot of great matchups that are not played each year. 9 would have more good games, and some not so good games too.

This coming year Bama - Sc, LSU - SC, Bama - UGA, UF-Auburn, UGA-LSU, are among the games that won't be played this year.

scfanz 03-24-2014 09:17 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
9 SEC games. Hell, that's why we got in the SEC, to play the best teams in the best conference.

SterlingBrooks 03-24-2014 11:11 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
The more the better, we haven't been able to win the East much with 8.

uscsandstorm85 03-25-2014 01:56 AM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
Some people just do not want to give up UAB or ECU for Alabama or LSU.

Harry Cock 03-25-2014 02:24 AM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
When the playoffs expand I'm all for 9 games

Woody7687 03-25-2014 02:33 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
I dont want another SEC school I want a big school out of conference. Like Southern Cal, Oregon, Texas, etc.

uscgamecocks88 03-25-2014 03:15 PM

Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody7687 (Post 4120840)
I dont want another SEC school I want a big school out of conference. Like Southern Cal, Oregon, Texas, etc.

This. I'd rather play Texas than Coastal. Plus it would help with SOS especially with the playoffs


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.