CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Florida/FSU Basebrawl (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205349)

Metalrush24 03-26-2014 03:13 AM

Florida/FSU Basebrawl

http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver...ston%20jpg.jpg

Heisman winner, Winston, seen here trying to get in on the action.

And somehow the social media is making it out to be either Winston's fault, or that he was beat up during it. Neither of which seems to be the case, but by some of the posts you would think he led an army into the stadium like Xerxes in the movie '300'.

JerseyBird 03-26-2014 06:30 AM

Re: Florida/FSU Basebrawl

Was waiting for them to all start hopping on one leg :thumbsup:

reddot8481 03-26-2014 06:49 AM

Runner should have been called out, clearly veers into the field of play to force the collision and break up the play. Though noles still lost.

markymark550 03-26-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddot8481 (Post 4121423)
Runner should have been called out, clearly veers into the field of play to force the collision and break up the play. Though noles still lost.

Looked like he was still in the basepath to me. He didn't interfere with the pitcher's ability to field the ball (took 2 steps after the ball hit the glove) and would have collided with the pitcher even if he stayed completely in the middle of the basepath. After the pitcher missed the fielding attempt, any collision becomes obstruction by the pitcher. Umpire made the right call in ruling him safe imo.

Travelin 03-26-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4121471)
Looked like he was still in the basepath to me. He didn't interfere with the pitcher's ability to field the ball (took 2 steps after the ball hit the glove) and would have collided with the pitcher even if he stayed completely in the middle of the basepath. After the pitcher missed the fielding attempt, any collision becomes obstruction by the pitcher. Umpire made the right call in ruling him safe imo.

Spot on. My disdain for both programs doesn't get in the way of what the right call was. The runner did the right thing. He knocked them squarely on their ass. Defender dropped the ball and runner is...SAFE!!! Only if someone would have shoved a bat down Jameis' throat and that would have been the play of the year!

I hope we ruin both of those teams seasons.

2000grad 03-26-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

http://www.baseball-rules.com/FAQs.htm#OBS

uscGRAD04 03-26-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddot8481 (Post 4121423)

This.

Looks like the step or two before contact he veered toward picture. He was intentionally trying to run pitcher over IMO.

ScottK 03-26-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4121488)

"A fielder's "attempt to field" a batted ball ends immediately upon missing or deflecting the ball and such fielder must, in effect, disappear or risk obstruction."

Although it was just luck on the hitter's part that the pitcher missed the ball because he was going to run into him regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USCBatgirl21 03-26-2014 10:04 AM

What about the ball hitting the foot of the baserunner? Shouldn't he be out in that case? Or does it matter since the pitcher had already touched the ball?

And yes, he does take a couple steps inside the baseline. RARELY do you see guys do that, unless they are trying "shenanigans".

markymark550 03-26-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4121514)
What about the ball hitting the foot of the baserunner? Shouldn't he be out in that case? Or does it matter since the pitcher had already touched the ball?

And yes, he does take a couple steps inside the baseline. RARELY do you see guys do that, unless they are trying "shenanigans".

The pitcher deflecting the ball negates the rule about runners touching the batted ball. The ball is still live though and the defense, if able, can still attempt to get the out.

USCBatgirl21 03-26-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4121519)
The pitcher deflecting the ball negates the rule about runners touching the batted ball. The ball is still live though and the defense, if able, can still attempt to get the out.

Thank you. I didn't feel like searching through my rule book this morning.

markymark550 03-26-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4121523)
Thank you. I didn't feel like searching through my rule book this morning.

No problem.

I will say that after reading the rules, with the language used and how they're written, I could understand how umpires could be confused on some of the more trivial plays. Some of it was just confusing. Although, a lot of it boils down to interpretation and human error in making a decision on a play like this.

Roosterboy 03-26-2014 11:12 AM

Tough call for the ump...runner did swerve to the left into the field of play slightly, but could argue he was trying to go around the pitcher because the thought the ball would carry further foul.

Here is my question...what is 5 doing? if it wasn't for his lazy ass not playing his position, the fight probably wouldn't have happened.

Doesn't bother me a bit though...not a big fan of either school.

lake-cityCOCK89 03-26-2014 11:41 AM

Umpire here.....

runner should be called out and ejected. There is a 3 foot running lane on the first base line in fair territory for a reason.

Typical FSU and UF teams.

ReadR00ster 03-26-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

He clearly went after the fielder and he clearly interfered with his ability to field the ball, but I think he was still in the base path should allow you to to be able to take a cheap shot at the player when you could go around him and still be in the base path.

ReadR00ster 03-26-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottK (Post 4121512)
"A fielder's "attempt to field" a batted ball ends immediately upon missing or deflecting the ball and such fielder must, in effect, disappear or risk obstruction."

Although it was just luck on the hitter's part that the pitcher missed the ball because he was going to run into him regardless.

It wasn't luck. the FSU player saw where that ball was and decided since he was a lot bigger was going to truck him.

ReadR00ster 03-26-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottK (Post 4121512)

I don't know if I would call it "obstruction" though since it was intentional and he went out of his to do it. I think it was a cheap shot and he should have been ejected.

2000grad 03-26-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 (Post 4121591)
Umpire here.....

runner should be called out and ejected. There is a 3 foot running lane on the first base line in fair territory for a reason.

Typical FSU and UF teams.

I thought there was a section stating "If a tag is attempted." I didn't see a tag attempted, but I might need to watch it again.

Also, if the ball is "muffed", then the runner has no obligation to try and get out of the way according to the rulebook

markymark550 03-26-2014 12:53 PM

The runner didn't interfere with the ability to field the ball. The ball hit the pitcher's glove and bounced away. Took 2 steps for the runner to get to the pitcher after he missed the ball. If the pitcher fielded it cleanly, it would have been a simple tag out. Interference by the runner would have been if he trucked the fielder before the ball even got there.

After the pitcher missed the ball, the runner didn't have any responsibility to avoid the pitcher. I guess going out of the basepath could have been called, but that wasn't so egregious that an umpire would see it in live action. It's not like he was 10 feet out of the basepath like you'll occasionally see when someone tries to break up a double play.

2000grad 03-26-2014 12:58 PM

8-4.2

A fielder is not protected, except from intentional contact if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location;

This is from the NFHS (yeah, I know it is not NCAA) and could give some context for the argument