CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Passing Gamecock (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205393)

Darth Visor 03-27-2014 08:05 PM

Passing Gamecock

CockyTalk Nation,

Not a frequent poster but visit the site very often. Just wanted to spread some news that my grandfather passed away yesterday at the age of 78. He went to college at Clemson and cheered for the Tigers until they fired Danny Ford and decided he wasn't going to give his allegiance to a team that would do that to their national title winning coach.

Anyways, he began cheering for Carolina in 1990 and went through many of the tough seasons you all experienced. He got me HOOKED on Carolina football when I was 12 years old, which would be back in 2002. My first game I really ever remember was the 2003 Vandy game which I attended. From 2004-2008 before I left for college I probably watched every game with him in his garage except a handful. He would always entertain me with his in game nuances he had: Crossing his fingers for good luck, saying "kangaroo kangaroo" on kickoffs and punts to ensure our ball carrier held on, and calling a fumble a "Salipaticus" play, a.k.a. the shittiest play in football. We attended Spurrier's first game at South Carolina in 2005 and watched our Gamecocks get the victory over UCF. He was a true fan and would always get teary eyed when his Gamecocks found victory.

My grandfather was like my best friend and my mentor. We could sit and talk about South Carolina football for hours among hours, just in anticipation of kickoff. I'm 23 now and my first season ever having season tickets was last year. I am getting them again this year and it will be a special year for me knowing he is looking down on Williams Brice and cheering on his Gamecocks.

"C'mon Cocks Fight Damnit Fight!" -Papa

johnnyb 03-27-2014 09:01 PM

Re: Passing Gamecock

Sorry for your loss

catdaddy66 03-27-2014 09:43 PM

Remember those games! My father traveled to all the games and I watched our first bowl win vs West Virginia in the 1995 CarQuest bowl with him. Sports matters, and those moments are why. Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Cockypantherfan 03-27-2014 09:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your grandfather passing, but at least you have tons of good memories with him. Hopefully he will cheer us on to a magical season this year.

taylorssc 03-27-2014 10:00 PM

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Thanks for sharing, it brings back good memories of my grandfather.

OldPat 03-27-2014 10:05 PM

DV, Gamecock Heaven: +1.

rrsandersjr 03-27-2014 10:09 PM

Your story is one of happy memories...too many times I hear of people who wished they had spent more time with a loved one. May God bless you and your family and cherish the memories!

roosterdude21 03-27-2014 10:28 PM

My condolences

CockyFanForLife 03-28-2014 10:47 AM

Wonderful memories for a lifetime! Sports do bond us together. I am very sorry for your loss.

Jethro Beaver 03-28-2014 11:33 AM

My Sympathy for your loss, Sir. KANGAROO, KANGAROO!!! (LOVE THAT btw) May have to use that in honor of your Papa, if you don't mind. Can you share his name with us?

HUGEGARNETCOCK 03-28-2014 11:46 AM

Great memories! Keep them close to your heart! I miss my Poppa and Granny all the time . One day we will all be back together.

Darth Visor 03-28-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethro Beaver (Post 4122968)
My Sympathy for your loss, Sir. KANGAROO, KANGAROO!!! (LOVE THAT btw) May have to use that in honor of your Papa, if you don't mind. Can you share his name with us?

Jack L. Phillips Sr.

scfanz 03-28-2014 02:40 PM

Sorry for our loss, but consider yourself lucky that you have so many happy memories with your grandfather.