CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Eats (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Places To Eat In Beufort (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205413)

Roosterdog 03-28-2014 12:39 PM

Places To Eat In Beufort

Anyone know where the best places to eat are in Beaufort?

Metalrush24 03-28-2014 12:50 PM

Re: Places To Eat In Beufort

What type of food are you looking for?

Roosterdog 03-28-2014 12:57 PM

Looking for some good seafood or bbq.

Mt. Lattimore 03-28-2014 01:14 PM

http://www.sweetgrassdataw.com/

Metalrush24 03-28-2014 01:19 PM

Seafood:
Dockside is regarded as one of the good ones (I've never been), they have two locations- one on Lady's Island and one in Port Royal(which is supposed to be better).

Gilligan's Seafood, a chain based out of Charleston (I think), is also there and has pretty good food.

If you're heading anywhere near Hunting Island, you should definitely go by The Shrimp Shack. Its would be my most recommended if you want local seafood in a local setting ( it is literally a shack) then this is where I would go. It brings in the shrimp directly from their boats which dock on the opposite side of the road. They also have really good shrimpburgers.

As far as BBQ goes, I'm not sure... I can't say I've been to a BBQ specific place in BFT because a lot of the cuisine is seafood based. I asked my girlfriend, who is from Beaufort, and she didn't know of any either.

ultimatetailgater 03-28-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalrush24 (Post 4123045)
Seafood:
Dockside is regarded as one of the good ones (I've never been), they have two locations- one on Lady's Island and one in Port Royal(which is supposed to be better).

Gilligan's Seafood, a chain based out of Charleston (I think), is also there and has pretty good food.

If you're heading anywhere near Hunting Island, you should definitely go by The Shrimp Shack. Its would be my most recommended if you want local seafood in a local setting ( it is literally a shack) then this is where I would go. It brings in the shrimp directly from their boats which dock on the opposite side of the road. They also have really good shrimpburgers.

As far as BBQ goes, I'm not sure... I can't say I've been to a BBQ specific place in BFT because a lot of the cuisine is seafood based. I asked my girlfriend, who is from Beaufort, and she didn't know of any either.

Another vote for the shrimp shack, doesn't get any fresher.

Cock Kool-Aid 03-29-2014 09:07 AM

I had some good cheap sandwich/burger type food at a joint in downtown Beaufort on the waterfront. It was in a historic looking former drug store or something if I recall. Called something apothecary I believe.

cocky0 03-29-2014 10:30 AM

I'll vouch for Dockside, but you better get there early. That parking lot fills up fast.

Cocky chick 03-29-2014 10:50 AM

The Shrimp Shack is all you need to know. Don't be put off by its appearance. Those shrimp burgers are well worth it. Dockside is fine, but it's big and super crowded pretty much all the time. Johnson Creek Tavern on Harbor Island also has great seafood, but check before you go if you are wanting lobster - they don't serve it every night, but it's fantastic.

lencho30 03-29-2014 11:50 AM

Seafood - Dockside. It does get crowded early though.

BBQ - I want to say there was a Dukes BBQ down from the Dodge dealership off Robert Smalls Parkway. I haven't ever eaten at that one and not sure which days it is open.

cockyness11 03-29-2014 12:27 PM

JCT (Johnson Creek Tavern) is really good if you are heading out to Hunting island.. Shrimp Shack's Shrimp burger is classic as well and all you can eat shrimp buckets at Steamers.. If you aren't in the mood for seafood then Upper Crust has awseome pizza and italian food and Alvin Ords deli sandwichs are the best.. The owner goes in at 3 o'clock in the morning to bake fresh bread every day at Alvin Ords

cockyness11 03-29-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lencho30 (Post 4123666)
Seafood - Dockside. It does get crowded early though.

BBQ - I want to say there was a Dukes BBQ down from the Dodge dealership off Robert Smalls Parkway. I haven't ever eaten at that one and not sure which days it is open.

They closed it down a couple mths ago... The stupidest thing I ever seen because they were making some money there...

warriorchief 04-30-2014 02:35 AM

hate I missed this thread, but yes... Shrimp Shack ftmfw

PageUSC 07-21-2014 01:47 PM

Another vote for the Shrimp Shack. A guy I work with's wife run the place. It's great!

Also LT's is some very good southern cooking. That's Devin Taylor's dad's place. Little place right as you cross over the bridge from DT to Lady's island

HUGEGARNETCOCK 07-21-2014 02:22 PM

I am headed down Friday and I am ready for Steamers. Then Shrimp Shack or JCT !

CockyFanForLife 07-21-2014 02:27 PM

Shrimp Shack and Johnson Creek!!!

gamecock88 07-23-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyFanForLife (Post 4206291)
Shrimp Shack and Johnson Creek!!!

Agree with both and the posts about Dockside. Skip boondocks. Nasty place.

SC Sandlapper 07-23-2014 03:50 PM

If this question were posed when I was a kid growing up in Beaufort, the list of places to eat would be very short: The Jarvista, Joe's Spaghetti House, Village Inn Pizza Parlor, Maryland Fried Chicken.

HUGEGARNETCOCK 07-23-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper (Post 4207760)
If this question were posed when I was a kid growing up in Beaufort, the list of places to eat would be very short: The Jarvista, Joe's Spaghetti House, Village Inn Pizza Parlor, Maryland Fried Chicken.

I remember Maryland Fried Chicken but Steamers has been around for 30 years at least

SC Sandlapper 07-23-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK (Post 4207762)
I remember Maryland Fried Chicken but Steamers has been around for 30 years at least

I've eaten my weight in seafood there (which is a lot of seafood), but it wasn't around in the 60's and 70's.