CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Archery...anybody? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205416)

Gaichon 03-28-2014 02:22 PM

Archery...anybody?

Never really taken the time to get into archery, but we've got a nice range close-by and I'm going to go check it out real soon. Other than bowhunting, I've never known anyone who did it for "sport" per say. Any thoughts?

USCBatgirl21 03-28-2014 02:24 PM

Re: Archery...anybody?

My cousin did it for sport in HS when he couldn't play baseball any longer. And now he only hunts with his bow. He's an archery technician at the new Cabela's in North Augusta.

Little Man wants to get into archery - for sport and hunting. He got his first bow for Christmas.

jccgogamecocks 03-28-2014 03:34 PM

I shoot my bow mainly because I live in city limits and cant shoot my guns in my yard. I love shooting it and have taken a few deer with it as well. It is very relaxing to go out and let a few fly. The most fun is the beginning when your pattern starts to shrink and you start being able to consistently hit the same area.

stiffolcock 03-28-2014 04:06 PM

i used to hunt exclusively with a bow. i really enjoyed shooting at all times of year though. bowfishing for those alligator gar down that direction is fun i hear. we had "man day" a few weeks ago and "bow-golf" happened, that was a ton of fun. sadly, i did better than my regular golf......

stiffolcock 03-28-2014 04:08 PM

i might add though, it can become insanely expensive hobby. go the purist rout and keep it simple (long bow, recurve, make your own arrows, simple arrowheads)

jccgogamecocks 03-28-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffolcock (Post 4123156)
i might add though, it can become insanely expensive hobby. go the purist rout and keep it simple (long bow, recurve, make your own arrows, simple arrowheads)

No doubt, my hunting arrows cost right at 40 bucks a peice . 11$ arrow 13$ alluminok 16$broadhead. Adds up quick and is why I only have 3 arrows for hunting.

stiffolcock 03-28-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jccgogamecocks (Post 4123170)
No doubt, my hunting arrows cost right at 40 bucks a peice . 11$ arrow 13$ alluminok 16$broadhead. Adds up quick and is why I only have 3 arrows for hunting.

back when i was hunting, carbon arrows just became widespread..... yeah i spent the money. it is also amazing how they vanish never to be found again when the flight path is too shallow in grass or leaves..... used muzzy 4 blade, we didnt know what alluminoks were.... thank god.....

CockRoche 03-28-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaichon (Post 4123094)
Never really taken the time to get into archery, but we've got a nice range close-by and I'm going to go check it out real soon. Other than bowhunting, I've never known anyone who did it for "sport" per say. Any thoughts?

If you get interested in buying, buy used, maybe on archerytalk.com classifieds. You'll just have to google on finding your draw length, etc.

Gaichon 03-28-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jccgogamecocks (Post 4123138)
I shoot my bow mainly because I live in city limits and cant shoot my guns in my yard. I love shooting it and have taken a few deer with it as well. It is very relaxing to go out and let a few fly. The most fun is the beginning when your pattern starts to shrink and you start being able to consistently hit the same area.

Kind of what I'm feeling. I live in the 'burbs and grew up being able to just shoot - figure I can scratch the itch this way or just go down the road to an official "range".

Thanks for the info so far, y'all.