CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Stargazing (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205507)

Cockypantherfan 03-31-2014 11:10 AM

Stargazing

There is a cool article from Yahoo about some great stargazing spots in the world.

http://travel.yahoo.com/photos/the-t...703-slideshow/

So it got me thinking... I love to look up at the night sky and marvel at all of the other planets, stars, etc. out in the universe. Living right on the cusp of downtown Houston I do not have that opportunity any longer. Do any of y'all have great spots where you live or have you been to places where you get really awesome views of the night sky?

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise this summer so I am pumped that I should be able to see some good night skies soon.

Spur's Addiction 03-31-2014 12:08 PM

Re: Stargazing

Best I have seen is out west in like Utah and Arizona out camping away from all the city lights and low humidity.

JaxcockFL 03-31-2014 12:49 PM

Back yard is the best I can do. I have a 6" reflector. My favorite are the nebulas in Orion's belt. Incredible. If anyone has some binoculars, you can still see them at the sword.

d20636 03-31-2014 03:43 PM

NTC (Ft Irwin CA) had some good views and very low light pollution. Edisto Beach between May 1 and Oct 31 was amazing as the lights are required to be off for the loggerhead turtles...

Don't think anything compared to the desert SSW of Kuwait tho' - I could see so many stars it was hard to make out some constellations/asterisms!

warriorchief 03-31-2014 03:51 PM

Place a couple of miles below Caesar's Head called Bald Rock. Just a massive, flat, open rock face on the side of the mountain. You can see lights from Greenville, Easley, Pickens, Seneca, pretty much all over the place in the distance as you look off the side. We always go on a clear night because the view of the stars is perfect. Last time we went was for a meteor shower, and it was phenomenal.

Thenardier 03-31-2014 04:06 PM

Some classmates and I from my GG class had a graduation trip to Ibiza. Stayed at a remote villa. Last night we were there there was a very are meteor shower. Some of us took pillows and blankets up to the roof and just watched the show for hours.

rioninusc 03-31-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4125135)
There is a cool article from Yahoo about some great stargazing spots in the world.

http://travel.yahoo.com/photos/the-t...703-slideshow/

So it got me thinking... I love to look up at the night sky and marvel at all of the other planets, stars, etc. out in the universe. Living right on the cusp of downtown Houston I do not have that opportunity any longer. Do any of y'all have great spots where you live or have you been to places where you get really awesome views of the night sky?

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise this summer so I am pumped that I should be able to see some good night skies soon.

Summer night and Alaska doesn't exist. Went there on a vacation myself a few years back it stays daylight almost 24 hours a day.

Thenardier 03-31-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4125631)
Summer night and Alaska doesn't exist. Went there on a vacation myself a few years back it stays daylight almost 24 hours a day.

Yeah, it's the land of the midnight sun. Your cabin will probably have a very thick drape that you use to block your window when you want to sleep

rioninusc 03-31-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4125635)
Yeah, it's the land of the midnight sun. Your cabin will probably have a very thick drape that you use to block your window when you want to sleep

After the cruise my family did a bus tour, and yeah the drapes were black and about 1-2 inches thick. They were called blackout curtains, they worked very well.

He does have the option to star gaze if he goes during the end of the summer, and on the night before getting to Alaska, and coming back from Alaska. I think out on the pacific ocean, and at the top end of the ship where you can lay on one of those foldout chairs that women sun in. Perfect for star gazers if there is no clouds.

Cockypantherfan 03-31-2014 11:31 PM

Well, my bubble just burst.

scargamecocks87 04-01-2014 10:05 AM

There's a really old grave yard in Burrell's Ford in the blue ridge mountains out past Walhalla. There's a giant field next to it near the top of the mountain and it was ridiculous the amount of starts you can see from there. Also if you put your boat in a lot the pole yard on 17 near georgetown and you can go inland orout towards the delta aand you won't be disappointed. You can also see some of the best sunrises there you'll ever see. I duck hunt out there and see many and have yet to come across any sunrise remotely close to it.

ColaCock 04-01-2014 11:05 AM

I watch Jupiter pass directly across my porch every night. Also use the SkyView app to find other constellations and planets I can't easily spot.

Went to the planetarium and observatory in St. Pete and got to see Jupiter up close (and moons) along with Venus and the moon.

Thenardier 04-01-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4125766)
I watch Jupiter pass directly across my porch every night. Also use the SkyView app to find other constellations and planets I can't easily spot.

Went to the planetarium and observatory in St. Pete and got to see Jupiter up close (and moons) along with Venus and the moon.

All you need is a mirror to see Uranus.

Cockypantherfan 04-01-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4125766)

I absolutely love going to planetariums and looking at different kinds of constellations and stars. About 5 months ago I went to Kennedy Space Center in Houston and that was a fun experience. Lots of good info to learn about space and cool, interactive exhibits.

trapper82 04-01-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4125768)
All you need is a mirror to see Uranus.

This is especially true for certain people.