CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Rumor: Gregg Marshall Possible Tennessee Target (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205521)

davidmc467 03-31-2014 04:57 PM

Rumor: Gregg Marshall Possible Tennessee Target

So, it's in the rumor stages right now. But, it looks like Marquette is going hard after Cuonzo Martin, and Tennessee looks like they won't match the offer. If Martin does go to Marquette, it's circulating around that Gregg Marshall would be a top target to be HC at Tennessee.

How would you all feel about that? I know he was the guy most wanted when we hired Darrin Horn AND when we hired Frank Martin.

Random sports site with tweet and what not "rumorizing" Gregg Marshall

USCBatgirl21 03-31-2014 05:04 PM

Re: Rumor: Gregg Marshall Possible Tennessee Target

Oh jeez...as if it's not bad enough listening to folks whine with him coaching in the MVC, can you imagine if he were in the SEC????

Kickerspl80 03-31-2014 05:14 PM

If they arent shelling out the bucks for Martin, are they going to shell it out for MArshall? Maybe a stupid question, but I remember seeing somewhere where they were like hundreds of millions of dollars in debt...I believe the highest of any college

markymark550 03-31-2014 05:28 PM

Tennessee passed him over once already. I know he really, really wanted the UT job when they hired Buzz Peterson. Don't know if that will come into play or not for Marshall if UT does offer him the job. I think it will take at least $2.5M for any school to lure Marshall away from Wichita State. It'll be interesting to see if UT wants to pony up that kind of dough.

2000grad 03-31-2014 05:39 PM

What could Marshall do at a football school?

USCfootball 03-31-2014 05:50 PM

I think Cuonzo is just looking for leverage. He was on hotseat last year I'd bet he just wants his contract padded for assurance.

Acockolypse Now 03-31-2014 05:53 PM

God I hope not.

raptorcox 03-31-2014 07:09 PM

Gregg won't cheat.. well as obvious as previous UT coaches

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Kickerspl80 03-31-2014 08:12 PM

Werent there like 50 signature from booster members voting for firing him, and then he ended up leading Tenn to an awesome tourney and theyre kinda biting their tongues a little bit. Help me get my facts straight people

Kickerspl80 03-31-2014 08:13 PM

if I were Martin Id leave in a heartbeat. Especially if Tenn is showing their uniterest in matching Marquettes offer

taylorssc 03-31-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 (Post 4125540)
Werent there like 50 signature from booster members voting for firing him, and then he ended up leading Tenn to an awesome tourney and theyre kinda biting their tongues a little bit. Help me get my facts straight people

i think that was prior to pearl getting the new job.

must've stunk for martin to have the ex-coach that everybody wants back hanging around town. pearls approval rating is something like 98% in knoxville.

Kickerspl80 03-31-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorssc (Post 4125555)
i think that was prior to pearl getting the new job.

must've stunk for martin to have the ex-coach that everybody wants back hanging around town. pearls approval rating is something like 98% in knoxville.

Makes sense.

My biggest hope is that Pearl hires Vince Alexander as his ass coach. Alexander has done a HELL of a job here at USCA and he deserves his shot

CockyandProud 03-31-2014 08:49 PM

Marshall has no desire to leave Wichita St. Carolina was his dream job, but once he went to Wichita State, all that changed. He doesn't have to compete with football, so basketball is king. He is absolutely happy there. Obviously, money talks, but it will take several million a year to lure him away.

taylorssc 03-31-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 (Post 4125560)
Makes sense.

My biggest hope is that Pearl hires Vince Alexander as his ass coach. Alexander has done a HELL of a job here at USCA and he deserves his shot

i don't know if collegiate athletics is ready for any more ass coaches.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...ing-8-boys.jpg

mpilot0705 03-31-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4125413)
Oh jeez...as if it's not bad enough listening to folks whine with him coaching in the MVC, can you imagine if he were in the SEC????

Not whining but can you honestly tell me there is any doubt in your mind that he would have been better than keeping Odom that last year or hiring Horn? The jury is still out on Martin so I don't even bother comparing hiring Martin over Marshall.

markymark550 04-01-2014 08:00 AM

Martin has taken his name out of consideration for the Marquette job.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10707907

3MTA3 04-01-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpilot0705 (Post 4125622)
Not whining but can you honestly tell me there is any doubt in your mind that he would have been better than keeping Odom that last year or hiring Horn? The jury is still out on Martin so I don't even bother comparing hiring Martin over Marshall.

It's still whining.

Complaining when there's not a damn thing that can be done to correct whatever it is you're complaining about is most definitely whining.

USCBatgirl21 04-01-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4125706)
It's still whining.

Complaining when there's not a damn thing that can be done to correct whatever it is you're complaining about is most definitely whining.

EXACTLY!!!!

I can be tired of the incessant whining regardless of how I feel about him as a coach.

StretfordEnd 04-01-2014 10:43 AM

Many up here want Martin gone. I can't say I blame them. Dude may turn out to be a good coach, though.

Ericvol2096 04-01-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 (Post 4125540)

There was literally 36,000+ signatures on a petition in mid Feb to have Bruce replace him.

We have the dumbest fanbase in the history of mankind.