CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Gator bowl gets new name (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205649)

uscgamecocks88 04-04-2014 10:30 AM

Gator bowl gets new name

http://m.news.wjct.org/?utm_referrer...1#mobile/12490

Not sure about this. Shows how nowadays it's money > tradition

ZenUSC 04-04-2014 11:01 AM

Re: Gator bowl gets new name

Sounds good to me but Notre Dame doesn't play football in the ACC. Maybe they will get some advantage though. What would you think of a Gamecock vs ND Gator Bowl?

Acockolypse Now 04-04-2014 11:03 AM

I would think that would mean we didn't make the SEC Championship.

markymark550 04-04-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4128307)
Sounds good to me but Notre Dame doesn't play football in the ACC. Maybe they will get some advantage though. What would you think of a Gamecock vs ND Gator Bowl?

Technically they're still independent for football. For all practical purposes they are an ACC football team though because of that scheduling/bowl deal they have.

funktavious 04-04-2014 11:42 AM

Geez, I wish they'd leave the names of Bowl games alone. If they want to call it the Taxslayer Gator Bowl, fine but Taxslayer Bowl sounds so generic and it doesn't sound like a very big bowl either. It doesn't sound any better than the Papa John's Bowl or the CARQUEST Bowl.

FanofCarolina1 04-04-2014 12:25 PM

Looks like Jacksonville is stuck with that for the next 6 years, hopefully after that the name will be changed back to the Gator Bowl, you know, because of the 70 year tradition and all.

3MTA3 04-04-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 (Post 4128289)
http://m.news.wjct.org/?utm_referrer...1#mobile/12490

Not sure about this. Shows how nowadays it's money > tradition

money has always been more important than tradition, its just that the naming rights to these bowls havent always been worth so much.

TaterHater1984 04-04-2014 01:03 PM

It annoys me so much how traditional bowls change names so much. What's wrong with calling it the Gator Bowl *sponsored by TaxSlayer.com*? I get the newer ones that have been named after companies for their whole existence, but this is stupid. Same thing with the Peach Bowl.

Roosterboy 04-04-2014 02:10 PM

I'll miss seeing the name Gator Bowl...but bowl names have been irrelevant now for nearly 10 years...the only ones I don't see changing are the Orange, Rose and Sugar...but you never know, a sponsor could come along and say, "No more Orange Bowl...it is now the Little Debbie Bowl."

Spur's Addiction 04-04-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaterHater1984 (Post 4128423)
It annoys me so much how traditional bowls change names so much. What's wrong with calling it the Gator Bowl *sponsored by TaxSlayer.com*? I get the newer ones that have been named after companies for their whole existence, but this is stupid. Same thing with the Peach Bowl.

this

trapper82 04-04-2014 03:03 PM

Horrible. I refuse to patronize businesses that do this.

Except Chick Fil A.

uscjeremynca 04-04-2014 03:14 PM

The biggest change may be the date change. Now you don't have 3 bowls being played featuring SEC teams at the same time.

GH 04-04-2014 04:04 PM

I will still call it the gator bowl.

Also, I am glad they did not create yet another bowl just to name it the taxpayer.com bowl.

I wish they would get rid of some of the bowls or have these bowl require 7 wins.

taylorssc 04-04-2014 04:15 PM

i dont blame them, cash in while they can. i'll still call it the gator bowl.

uscgamecocks88 04-04-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4128561)
I will still call it the gator bowl.

Also, I am glad they did not create yet another bowl just to name it the taxpayer.com bowl.

I wish they would get rid of some of the bowls or have these bowl require 7 wins.

I think bowls should require 6 instead of 7. 6-6 is barely a winning season.

JerseyBird 04-04-2014 05:38 PM

So for everyone up in arms over this, how about our win in the Citrus Bowl :football::clap::woo:?

JaxcockFL 04-04-2014 06:09 PM

It's where it's all going. Outback Bowl Chick-fil-a bowl, Capital one bowl. It does suck, but the conferences have made it clear that it is all about payouts, so money rules.

Everyone in Jacksonville is going to refer to it as the Gator bowl too.

Spurrier_Superior_One 04-04-2014 07:07 PM

It's still the Gator Bowl, it's still the Peach Bowl, it's still the Citrus Bowl, and any other bowl who had it's original name taken over by corporate sponsors.

Gamecockfanatic4 04-05-2014 02:32 AM

I'm more mad about them moving the game to Jan 2nd than them changing the name, less football on new years now

ccured 04-05-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4128741)
It's still the Gator Bowl, it's still the Peach Bowl, it's still the Citrus Bowl, and any other bowl who had it's original name taken over by corporate sponsors.

So it's the tangerine bowl not the citrus bowl, right? I mean it was the tangerine bowl for 35 years and then the citrus bowl for 19 years. What about that tradition. Damn community activist backroom dealings to get the name changed because of the Florida Citrus Coalition to push their product. Damn capital one. But I do wish they would have left it the taxslayer.com gator bowl like it has been for the last few years.