CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   South Carolina Is Really, Really Good (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205662)

uscgmck 04-04-2014 03:03 PM

South Carolina Is Really, Really Good

This is from the numb-nuts at CFN but read on you may be surprised.

Rich Cirminiello: Steve Spurrier likes to say that winning is contagious. South Carolina is covered in the stuff these days.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1390848.html

Goofyboy 04-04-2014 03:44 PM

Re: South Carolina Is Really, Really Good

Pretty rosy view, but I think possible if the players want it enough. Any team needs some breaks to get through a stellar season, but these guys can make and take advantge of some breaks if they play every down as if the season depends on it. I think the biggest step forward will need to be from the linebackers. Last season they looked good at the end mainly based on being so bad at the beginning. If they (the LB's) develop some stopping power, diagnosing skill, and better pass coverage, the DL can play "assignment" ball without having to cover for missed tackles and assignments behind them. On offense, I think we can take better advantage of Davis's considerable ability because of having some really good relief/ change of pace and maybe 2 deep in quality linemen. Florida and Tennessee are very likely to be better, but I think Georgia has too much to correct on defense to get to the top. We'll see.

USCfootball 04-04-2014 03:45 PM

11 wins is definately doable. It will be determined by the offensive line being able to push up front and the RB's coming through when needed.

If the OL falters like they did end of year in 2013, I really don't think Dylan and the WR's can consistently win in obvious passing downs. With a consistent push up front and play action passing, I think the SEC-E is very achievable.

Acockolypse Now 04-04-2014 03:55 PM

To me it will all hinge on the defense. Offensively we should be able to get close to last year's production, although I think losing Ellington will hurt more than people realize.

If we can get a solid rotation from the D-line and the secondary can grow up quickly we should be fine.

sunbeam 04-04-2014 03:56 PM

Kind of forgetting about Missouri. Mauk did pretty well when Franklin was out, and I don't think they lose too much on offense. No idea about the defense (know they lose Sams and one or two more). But I kind of expect them to do just fine on offense this year.

Florida is kind of a mystery. I really expect this to be Muschamp's last season there, but we'll see. If they get any kind of offensive production they could win the east. Might take some luck, but they have the defense to do it, that's for sure.

ZenUSC 04-04-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunbeam (Post 4128554)

Florida is kind of a mystery. I really expect this to be Muschamp's last season there, but we'll see. If they get any kind of offensive production they could win the east. Might take some luck, but they have the defense to do it, that's for sure.

Agreed. I like your choice of word. Florida might be college football's mystery team of 2014. They were tough until QB probs ruined the offense which eventually demoralized the defense. Plus they cant fire Muschamp because he still has 25 years on his contract. Or has that changed? If Florida settles their QB issues(and they will) they will be the typical Florida and the Swamp will be the Swamp again.

Coondog 04-04-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4128553)
To me it will all hinge on the defense. Offensively we should be able to get close to last year's production, although I think losing Ellington will hurt more than people realize.

If we can get a solid rotation from the D-line and the secondary can grow up quickly we should be fine.

Every year we lose someone at the WR position that makes us feel that way but someone always seems to step up and become "THAT GUY". Alshon left and Ace stepped up and then Bruce. I look to see Shaq Roland as the next guy stepping up along with Nick Jones and Pharoh Cooper. Our Offense has a real good chance of being the best Spurrier has fielded here.

ZenUSC 04-04-2014 04:35 PM

Plus last year we didn't have Ellington early because of a nagging hamstring. Not having him isn't new.
Shaq will get lots of national attn. this year. Heck he might do too well and go pro.

CoverTwo 04-04-2014 04:39 PM

Outcomes of @UF and @Auburn is going to determine the season for USC.

Tough, tough games.

Emery 04-04-2014 05:25 PM

We won many close games thanks to a mobile qb who was able to hide a lot of OL issues. I'm not as confident that we will actually be better on offense. I like to hope the additional focus on a more traditional style running game and pro style pass may help, but still would be shocked with anything from a 7 to 11 win season.

Gamecock in TX 04-04-2014 05:30 PM

[quote=sunbeam;4128554]Kind of forgetting about Missouri. Mauk did pretty well when Franklin was out, and I don't think they lose too much on offense. No idea about the defense (know they lose Sams and one or two more). But I kind of expect them to do just fine on offense this year.

Missouri loses a lot, but I think they will be competitive in the East. On offense, they lose the left side of OL, best RB, and two very good WRs. Mauk was ok and he will get better, but he started 4 games (3 against teams with losing records) , and barely completed 50% of his passes, which is not very good considering the WRs they had last year. He was 10-25 against us on his home field (for comparison Dylan was 15-27 that game in less than 3 quarters).

On defense, they lose both DEs, their best LB and leading tackler, and 3/4 from the secondary. That will be their biggest question in terms of how they respond.

I agree, they should be ok on offense, but I don't think as good as they were this year with new OL and losing Washington (WR). Florida is a huge mystery, I don't know what to think about them.

Gamecock in TX 04-04-2014 05:31 PM

Missouri loses a lot, but I think they will be competitive in the East. On offense, they lose the left side of OL, best RB, and two very good WRs. Mauk was ok and he will get better, but he started 4 games (3 against teams with losing records) , and barely completed 50% of his passes, which is not very good considering the WRs they had last year. He was 10-25 against us on his home field (for comparison Dylan was 15-27 that game in less than 3 quarters).

On defense, they lose both DEs, their best LB and leading tackler, and 3/4 from the secondary. That will be their biggest question in terms of how they respond.

I agree, they should be ok on offense, but I don't think as good as they were this year with new OL and losing Washington (WR). Florida is a huge mystery, I don't know what to think about them.[/quote]

Roosterboy 04-04-2014 06:06 PM

Double digit wins is certainly doable.
I feel good for wins against ECU, Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou, Furman, UT and South Bama.
I think we will be favored to beat UGA, TAMU and Clemson

The only games I'm uncertain about are Auburn and Florida.
I think we lose to Auburn because we just don't play well against them, or in Auburn.
UF is a question mark. New offensive coordinator and it is in the swamp...plus their D will be good again.

Right now, I see 10 wins...with two tossups.

gamecock88 04-04-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4128553)

Spot on. DL play and secondary are key to this season. DL will need to play very well for another 11 or more win season. Tons of losses to overcome and I believe we've become somewhat spoiled. I see 9-10 wins this season. Hoping for more.

FearThethumbandDJ 04-04-2014 06:17 PM

He mentioned Dante Sawyer as a potential impact player........

USCremedy 04-04-2014 11:16 PM

No mention of Bruce as a star we need to replace, dude came up with a lot of clutch catches that probably kept the Loss column from being a higher number than 2.

Regalcock 04-04-2014 11:39 PM

I think the whole season is a mystery mostly.

How good will Tennessee be? Who knows? We have our own question marks.

It's certainly going to be interesting.

ReadR00ster 04-04-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emery (Post 4128606)
We won many close games thanks to a mobile qb who was able to hide a lot of OL issues. I'm not as confident that we will actually be better on offense. I like to hope the additional focus on a more traditional style running game and pro style pass may help, but still would be shocked with anything from a 7 to 11 win season.

I think you make a good point, but I would say that Thompson can also make up for a lot of our OL issues by being a guy that gets the ball out of his hand on time. Also, the OL issues should be less. We will have a very veteran bunch this year.

uscgamecocks88 04-05-2014 12:03 AM

11-1 with a loss to Auburn.

I think we beat Florida but it will be an ugly game.

InletCock1989 04-05-2014 09:22 AM

No Shaw or Ellington is going to hurt us Big Time!