CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Mickey Rooney passes away at the age of 93 (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205702)

Metalrush24 04-07-2014 12:53 AM

Mickey Rooney passes away at the age of 93

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/mi...93-1201153308/

Sad day, he was certainly a legend.

brat 04-07-2014 01:09 AM

Re: Mickey Rooney passes away at the age of 93

The only two people left from pre WWII film days (the Golden Era of Movies) are Maureen O'Hara and Olivia DeHaviland.

The Yancey 04-07-2014 01:43 AM

I met him 20 years ago when we were catching planes in Orlando. He was really, really short. He was also very friendly and funny as hell. Seemed like a nice guy.

TheUSCMike 04-07-2014 09:33 AM

He was a mufti-talented man

usc90grad 04-07-2014 09:39 AM

He seemed like a great guy.

Comedian John Pinette died this weekend too.

USCBatgirl21 04-07-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat (Post 4129780)
The only two people left from pre WWII film days (the Golden Era of Movies) are Maureen O'Hara and Olivia DeHaviland.

I'll be honest...I'll cry when we lose Katie McLintock(!) and Mellie Wilkes.

It is truly sad that we are losing the last of the Golden Era slowly.

brat 04-07-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4129850)
I'll be honest...I'll cry when we lose Katie McLintock(!) and Mellie Wilkes.

It is truly sad that we are losing the last of the Golden Era slowly.

Me, too. Best actors and actresses, better stories, more multitalented stars, and very little or no reliance on special effects.

Always had a crush on Maureen. Beautiful lady and love her brogue.

Acockolypse Now 04-07-2014 11:44 AM

Hey kids... let's put on a show!

RIP Mickey.

USCBatgirl21 04-07-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat (Post 4129875)
Me, too. Best actors and actresses, better stories, more multitalented stars, and very little or no reliance on special effects.

She is my favorite from that era by far. The chemistry between her and Duke was awesome! While she's more remembered for Katie McLintock(!), I loved her in The Quiet Man as well. McLintock! is just tied for my favorite Duke movie ever.

spareparts 04-07-2014 12:04 PM

I met him at a book signing in 1990. He was upset because I didn't have the book to sign that was being released, and gave me a look. But when he saw what I brought, an old movie still from about 1939 or so, his eyes bugged out and he went "wow" and signed the movie still and told me all about the people in the picture. It made his day. He was definitely a cool guy.

Plus, he had like 15 wives in his lifetime, so he was pretty badass.

brat 04-07-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4129904)
She is my favorite from that era by far. The chemistry between her and Duke was awesome! While she's more remembered for Katie McLintock(!), I loved her in The Quiet Man as well. McLintock! is just tied for my favorite Duke movie ever.

Agree with all you say. Had a great role in "How Green Was My Valley" Best Picture of 1941. That movie will give you a few shots to the gut, but well worth it. Superb cast and acting all the way around.

Tony 04-07-2014 02:08 PM

Boys Town. Classic.

cockymac 04-07-2014 02:18 PM

What? John Pinette died? He was great. Now that's sad.

myrtsmom 04-07-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4129904)

Maureen O'Hara has always been one of my favorites as well. To me, she can simply be defined as a classic beauty. Absolutely loved her in one of my all-time favorite movies - the original Parent Trap.

GH 04-07-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat (Post 4129875)

I disagree

SwampFox 04-07-2014 08:09 PM

Now that Mickey Rooney and Sid Caesar have passed on, none of the principal cast members are still with us from It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

3MTA3 04-07-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4130217)
I disagree

Same here.

These people were talented, but to paint their era as the "Golden Era of Movies" is something I had never heard of until today.

brat 04-07-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4130264)
Same here.

These people were talented, but to paint their era as the "Golden Era of Movies" is something I had never heard of until today.

That is referred to as when everything was run by the studios. MGM, for instance produced one film a week, 52 weeks a year, year after year.

Their stars were trained in many ways to help keep up a "star image", a certain class, if you will. Where they went in public or who they were seen with were often selected for them.

This was when almost all stars were under contracts to a certain studio and their films were selected for them, with rare exception of a star, now and then, convincing the studios heads to let them play a role they really wanted, even if it mean being loaned to another studio to do it.

It was almost a factory type atmosphere. They had armies of workers in every field to draw from to get the best product they could...screenwriters, directors, musicians, on and on, cranked them out.

It was all a mirage, but the image constructed helped sell tickets and that was the bottom line.

3MTA3 04-07-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat (Post 4130358)
That is referred to as when everything was run by the studios. MGM, for instance produced one film a week, 52 weeks a year, year after year.

Their stars were trained in many ways to help keep up a "star image", a certain class, if you will. Where they went in public or who they were seen with were often selected for them.

This was when almost all stars were under contracts to a certain studio and their films were selected for them, with rare exception of a star, now and then, convincing the studios heads to let them play a role they really wanted, even if it mean being loaned to another studio to do it.

It was almost a factory type atmosphere. They had armies of workers in every field to draw from to get the best product they could...screenwriters, directors, musicians, on and on, cranked them out.

It was all a mirage, but the image constructed helped sell tickets and that was the bottom line.

Hmm that is an interesting justification for referring to it as the "Golden Age"

GH 04-07-2014 11:16 PM

Mickey was born the same year Babe Ruth was traded to the Yankees

-same year prohibition started

- Women's suffrage passed into law with the 19th amendment

I never heard this before but....September 16 – The Wall Street bombing: A bomb in a horse wagon explodes in front of the J. P. Morgan building in New York City, killing 38 and injuring 400.