CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: (Semi Finals) MOTLEY CREW (#2) vs DEF LEPPARD (#3) (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205703)

Spurticus 04-07-2014 07:14 AM

BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: (Semi Finals) MOTLEY CREW (#2) vs DEF LEPPARD (#3)

ROUND THREE (Semi Finals)

Vote for your favorite band between these two:

Seed #2: MOTLEY CRUE

Seed #3: DEF LEPPARD

JerseyBird 04-07-2014 07:19 AM

Re: BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: (Semi Finals) MOTLEY CREW (#2) vs DEF LEPPARD (#3)

Gotta go with the Crue on this one :rock:

Spurticus 04-07-2014 07:29 AM

Re: BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: (Semi Finals) MOTLEY CREW (#2) vs DEF LEPPARD (#3)

I liked both of these bands to some degree. Always loved Def Leppard's
music (all of it), and loved the early Motley Crue stuff more than their
latter era music. Tough vote for me if I go by way of "priority" and the
way I had them listed on my nominations rankings.

I had Motley Crue on the list somewhere just below mid ways, However...
even though I think Def Leppard was the better of these two bands because
of their music over their careers, I had a tough time trying to decide if
I THOUGHT Def Leppard actually fit my personal idea of a "Hair Band".
I finally opted to leave them off my nominations list for the fact I viewed
them more of a R&B Rock type band (could have gone either way there).

Had I choose to put DL on the list, I probably would have had them ranked
in my Top three choices. Since the decision was tough for me, I'm going
to vote for Def Leppard here. They are (to me) a band that walked the
line between the image of "Hair Metal" and R&B rock, and if it's that close
then I'll go with it. As a HAIR BAND, IMO, there's no contest here. Even
Though Motley Crue's music and live shows around the time they did
Shout At The Devil was Phenomenal in this particular genre, overall they
were just not that impressive to me personally. Def Leppard wrote some
good music throughout their entire career and was just a much more
refined act for my personal taste.

Close, but Def Leppard wins here IMO

JerseyBird 04-07-2014 07:39 AM

Agreed on DL "walking the line" - my first thought was that DL didn't fit the Hair Metal category so this was a really easy choice, but in thinking about it you could make an argument for them fitting the type. Still, I've said all along that MC is the band that best defines Hair Metal and my choice to win the whole thing, so I give my vote to the Crue with no qualms.

And again, music-wise DL was far better, but to me Hair Metal is more about the image than the music so that only peripherally factors into any of my votes \m/

Spur's Addiction 04-07-2014 08:16 AM

Def Leppard - One of the best bands in the 80's. Always liked them more the Crew.

And look at that Mullet! Tell me a mullet is does not qualify as a hair band!

Regalcock 04-07-2014 09:08 AM

I agree with all that has been said here. Shout at the devil was epic. After that it was just pretty good and then they started dressing like poison.

DL get my vote.

SanAntonioCock 04-07-2014 10:42 AM

I poured some sugar on Def Leppard.

Gaichon 04-07-2014 12:30 PM

Toughest decision so far for me, but ultimately went with DL.

ACPhilson 04-07-2014 12:58 PM

I had to go with The Cre. Liked both bands, but early Cre was awesome. DL's music started sounding all the same from album to album.

Acockolypse Now 04-07-2014 01:20 PM

Crue.

Legalman72 04-07-2014 01:35 PM

I went with the Crue. Nothing against DL, and I really liked their early stuff, but they became a tad homogenized/over-produced/corporate sounding.

Again, if you have not read THE DIRT, do. If not, you're missing out!

uscjeremynca 04-07-2014 01:43 PM

I said I wouldn't vote any more after the Cinderella debacle. So I'll keep to that. However, DL is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Crue in terms of the quality of music. Crue may be the epitome of a hair band though. I would do with my fave here in DL because I never liked Crue.

Transmaniacon 04-07-2014 01:50 PM

I have pretty mixed feelings about both bands, and I could probably make a case for either band depending on what exactly I want to reward with my vote. Cre arguably had the more compelling theatrical impression (first 2 albums, at least) while DL was more ambitious and interesting musically. At this stage in the tournament, I'm more inclined to reward musical artistry than theatrics, so DL gets my vote.

smoovecock 04-07-2014 01:56 PM

Crue...:woo:

GamecockInHell 04-07-2014 06:26 PM

The Crue for me. DL has some really good songs but after a while they all start sounding the same.

Legalman72 04-08-2014 06:03 AM

Let's keep this match-up alive. I think a lot of people on CT never visit the Water Cooler and don't click "New Posts" to see items such as this thread.

lencho30 04-08-2014 08:53 AM

Wow! My vote just put the Crue up by 1!

Spurticus 04-08-2014 10:03 PM

Good Matchup in this one !

My favorite Def Leppard songs:

Hysteria is my favorite song by them... Hell of a song to have playing when
your feeling romantic

Love the way this song starts out with a light intro the EXPLODES

Spurticus 04-08-2014 10:21 PM

Songs that got me Hooked on Motley Crue for a while

Spurticus 04-11-2014 09:42 AM

MOTLEY CRUE wins by one vote, and will move on to the finals to met
the winner of the Guns n Roses vs Bon Jovi matchup.

The voting for that match will be posted Monday Morning around 6:am.