CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Gender Neutral Basketball (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205711)

uscgmck 04-07-2014 02:15 PM

Gender Neutral Basketball
 
http://www.my9nj.com/story/25181667/...e-garden-state

Spur's Addiction 04-07-2014 02:50 PM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Interesting concept. I doubt it will lead to huge success for the league like the guy seems to indicate.

kingoftheroost 04-07-2014 05:37 PM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
I've always hated segregating sports based on gender. Women who play sports want to compete against the best, just like men, no matter the gender, so why not let them do it?

It would be really interesting to see some matchups of the top male and female athletes in certain sports, like tennis. I realize there are mixed doubles competitions, but that's not quite what I mean. Imagine the top female and male players squaring off in a singles match! And I don't mean some ridiculous match like Billie Jean King and Bobbie Riggs, either. Riggs was a long, long way from being a top player when the two faced off.

robgusc76 04-07-2014 05:46 PM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Its called Intramurals.

RudeCock 04-07-2014 07:28 PM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Not interested. I don't think there is much that a woman can do that some man out there can't do better, might have to be a gay man on some things but there will be a guy who can do it better. We can't have babies, they can do that better. Super sexist I know.

Sports is just too big of a gap that I don't think it would interest me.

DJCatfish 04-07-2014 11:03 PM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4130144)
I've always hated segregating sports based on gender. Women who play sports want to compete against the best, just like men, no matter the gender, so why not let them do it?

It would be really interesting to see some matchups of the top male and female athletes in certain sports, like tennis. I realize there are mixed doubles competitions, but that's not quite what I mean. Imagine the top female and male players squaring off in a singles match! And I don't mean some ridiculous match like Billie Jean King and Bobbie Riggs, either. Riggs was a long, long way from being a top player when the two faced off.

Are sports segregated by rule? I thought there was no prohibition in the NFL, NBA, etc. against women playing, there just hasn't been a woman capable of making a roster as of yet.

In golf, Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie have both played PGA events within the last 6 or 7 years.

Point being, I agree with your sentiment, I just don't think it's factually true that someone "won't let them do it."

kingoftheroost 04-08-2014 12:21 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4130357)
Are sports segregated by rule? I thought there was no prohibition in the NFL, NBA, etc. against women playing, there just hasn't been a woman capable of making a roster as of yet.

In golf, Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie have both played PGA events within the last 6 or 7 years.

Point being, I agree with your sentiment, I just don't think it's factually true that someone "won't let them do it."

I don't know if there is a "rule" per se, but the mere fact organizations such as the LPGA and WNBA exist suggests quite a few people feel it is necessary to separate the genders.

I also don't understand why, once competition gets to a certain level, males play baseball and females play softball. Let the genders compete with each other.

At the risk of seeming a bit sexist, I sometimes wonder if the segregation is because SOME women are "afraid" of putting their athletic prowess against men on a level playing field. For example, would the fastest women sprinters not want to compete against the fastest men sprinters just because the times have been historically faster for the men? According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the fastest women's 200 meters run outdoors was 21.34 seconds. Several male sprinters tied at 19.86 seconds...the 24th fastest time for men.

In my opinion, not having all the best athletes, regardless of gender, compete against each other and then to give awards to both genders is similar to participation trophies. In other words, in the example of the 200 meter sprint, it's sort of like the women wouldn't have won anything, so they had to have their own event.

Cocks and Canes 04-08-2014 03:30 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RudeCock (Post 4130223)
Not interested. I don't think there is much that a woman can do that some man out there can't do better, might have to be a gay man on some things but there will be a guy who can do it better. We can't have babies, they can do that better. Super sexist I know.

Sports is just too big of a gap that I don't think it would interest me.

lol wow

Spurticus 04-08-2014 06:28 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4130357)
Are sports segregated by rule? I thought there was no prohibition in the NFL, NBA, etc. against women playing, there just hasn't been a woman capable of making a roster as of yet.

In golf, Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie have both played PGA events within the last 6 or 7 years.

Point being, I agree with your sentiment, I just don't think it's factually true that someone "won't let them do it."

You are correct.
There's no segregation in college or pro sports, and there have been
MANY incidents where women have tried to break into men's sports in both
college and pro football and baseball, but they never made it to Letter
participants in College, or gotten onto a season roster in baseball. The
women who tried to make a college football roster have done so as
Kickers. The issue with this is that Kickers are required to be safety
defenders on kickoff teams. How would you view the outcome of a
female equivalent of Spencer Lanning going one on one with a someone
like Ace Sanders / Bruce Ellington with a full head of steam ? ..... That's
why there has never been a female place Kicker that made a college
roster. If it came down to two players vying for a kicking position on a
team, the coach is going to take that into consideration.

There was a serious attempt at a women trying to make an NFL roster
as a kicker just a few years ago. I say serious, because she took it
serious. I think the team that gave her the tryout was just using it as a
PR Stunt knowing what the outcome would be. I can't remember the team
she got an invite to camp from, but I remember seeing her YouTube
video that someone posted here. She was built as a female with a "LEGIT"
shot at making it to the NFL. .... the video was proof that it was
not only going to happen that year, but it will NEVER happen in the history
of the sport.

I remember back a decade or so ago, hearing about a couple of women
who wanted to tryout for a college baseball team, after having put up
some good numbers in a women's baseball team. There's a reason you
won't find their stats anywhere in college baseball websites. ... They
never made it past winter drills because they couldn't compete on a
men's team at that level of play, and decided not to take the "experiment"
any further than winter drills.

As someone mentioned earlier..... we all remember the attempts of
Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie to play in a PGA event a few years
ago. Both were women at the top of their games at the time they decided
to give the men's tourney a try. Neither made the cut for the final two
rounds.

There may be some sports where women might be able to compete with
men and make a run at winning but it hasn't happened so far, and I
seriously doubt it ever will. HOWEVER, in spite all the feminist opinions, and
the "All Inclusive" sports media commentators who think it's entirely
possible for women to compete in several men's sports and contend for
victory there, I have a word I use for those people .................. they're
WRONG. Won't happen. Never has, Never will, .... Never

ccured 04-08-2014 07:06 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurticus (Post 4130427)
You are correct.
There's no segregation in college or pro sports, and there have been
MANY incidents where women have tried to break into men's sports in both
college and pro football and baseball, but they never made it to Letter
participants in College, or gotten onto a season roster in baseball. The
women who tried to make a college football roster have done so as
Kickers. The issue with this is that Kickers are required to be safety
defenders on kickoff teams. How would you view the outcome of a
female equivalent of Spencer Lanning going one on one with a someone
like Ace Sanders / Bruce Ellington with a full head of steam ? ..... That's
why there has never been a female place Kicker that made a college
roster. If it came down to two players vying for a kicking position on a
team, the coach is going to take that into consideration.

There was a serious attempt at a women trying to make an NFL roster
as a kicker just a few years ago. I say serious, because she took it
serious. I think the team that gave her the tryout was just using it as a
PR Stunt knowing what the outcome would be. I can't remember the team
she got an invite to camp from, but I remember seeing her YouTube
video that someone posted here. She was built as a female with a "LEGIT"
shot at making it to the NFL. .... the video was proof that it was
not only going to happen that year, but it will NEVER happen in the history
of the sport.

I remember back a decade or so ago, hearing about a couple of women
who wanted to tryout for a college baseball team, after having put up
some good numbers in a women's baseball team. There's a reason you
won't find their stats anywhere in college baseball websites. ... They
never made it past winter drills because they couldn't compete on a
men's team at that level of play, and decided not to take the "experiment"
any further than winter drills.

As someone mentioned earlier..... we all remember the attempts of
Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie to play in a PGA event a few years
ago. Both were women at the top of their games at the time they decided
to give the men's tourney a try. Neither made the cut for the final two
rounds.

There may be some sports where women might be able to compete with
men and make a run at winning but it hasn't happened so far, and I
seriously doubt it ever will. HOWEVER, in spite all the feminist opinions, and
the "All Inclusive" sports media commentators who think it's entirely
possible for women to compete in several men's sports and contend for
victory there, I have a word I use for those people .................. they're
WRONG. Won't happen. Never has, Never will, .... Never

There have been female college place kickers. Not many 5 or so at mostly 1_aa or division 3 schools but I know ow for a fact that the University of New Mexico had a girl score in a bowl game. I would think that would get her a letter. She transferred there from Colorado where it didn't go over so well with buffalo players. Can't recall her name though. Most colleges employ fg kickers and kick off specialists

palmettosc 04-08-2014 09:35 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4130428)
There have been female college place kickers. Not many 5 or so at mostly 1_aa or division 3 schools but I know ow for a fact that the University of New Mexico had a girl score in a bowl game. I would think that would get her a letter. She transferred there from Colorado where it didn't go over so well with buffalo players. Can't recall her name though. Most colleges employ fg kickers and kick off specialists

Didn't go over well? Why even bring that up? WTF man.

Spurticus 04-08-2014 10:29 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4130428)
There have been female college place kickers. Not many 5 or so at mostly 1_aa or division 3 schools but I know ow for a fact that the University of New Mexico had a girl score in a bowl game. I would think that would get her a letter. She transferred there from Colorado where it didn't go over so well with buffalo players. Can't recall her name though. Most colleges employ fg kickers and kick off specialists

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmettosc (Post 4130495)
Didn't go over well? Why even bring that up? WTF man.


Cutting through the PC stuff and getting to the point.
There will be teams from the West that will put a female on the roster
simply to show they are a "diverse" university and aren't biased or
prejudice, but it's all PR crap. They'll put a female (as in the example above)
in a VERY protected role, and whenever it is possible, get her in a game and
let them show "they're as good as any man at that position" (sarcasm injected there).
Having them listed as Kickers but never intending to let them do kickoffs,
FGs of any medium / longer distance, or actually do Kickoff duties, and try
to be a safety on the Kickoff team etc..... She kicked a PAT late in a Bowl
game. She was used as a PR Gimmick for the university.

I know I sound biased in my posts here, but there's nothing further from the
truth in that. I'm all for any female playing sports, and I have no issues with
any woman who wants to cross over and TRY to make a men's team or
compete with men head to head in ANY SPORT. .... What I do have an issue
with is the PC media, and particular programs who want to use that as a
beacon of light shined on them (the programs) to show they are "cutting
edge" and open minded, while all the time knowing it's a short term deal,
and they'll milk the attention from it that is GUARANTEED To come. They
also know that the female(s) will be gone shortly while adding nothing of any
significance to the contest or program. I absolutely despise the media
"sharks" that gather for the feeding frenzy around an event where a girl / woman
decides to prove they can compete with the men on their level. It's usually
a week long media event where they talk about all the great things ______
have accomplished on their level, and how they expect her to make a good
showing. It's usually the lead story every single frickin' day leading up to
the event, Then they interrupt shows to bring updates on the females
start, process, and end of the contest, and then the results are the leading
story in all sports outlets for a couple of days afterward, dissecting and
discussing her game. .... and 99.9% of the time, it's near the bottom of
whatever game/tournament/contest they entered.

They talked for three days after Sorenstam didn't make the cut of the PGA
event she entered, but decided that because she finished ahead of 16 male
golfers, it was an AWESOME accomplishment. Same was said for Michelle
Wie when she attempted it. ....... Three or four female Stock Car drivers have
actually run races on the circuit over a few decades, and all have gotten
some attention when it happened, but a few years back when NASCAR went
Corporate and PC on the Sports world (got rid of Winston and Busch as
the primary sponsors because they wanted to make it more "Family Oriented".
They tried to bring in Minorities as participants and owners and it Flopped.
They eventually Paid the Top Female Driver in the world to Join NASCAR,
set her up with all the best crews, equipment, owners, and reported on her
entry into the sport for months. Darrell Walltrip proclaimed her "The Face
Of NASCAR" before she even ran one race on the circuit. ..... she finished
6th in her first race and hasn't broke the top 20 in any other race in the past
2 plus seasons, yet she's still being booked and promoted as One of the
STARS of the Sport.

If a female who participates in any male dominated sport actually achieves
something of consequence (like a win), I'll have absolutely no problem
with the media attention, accolades or discussions the media / sports talk
people want to heap on them.....They would surely deserve it.... But making
them out to be Phenoms simply because they're "There" ..... It's all PC
BS and I don't like the Circus it creates.

palmettosc 04-08-2014 10:51 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Is it really being PC to be offended by someone referring to rape as "Didn't go over well?"

ccured 04-08-2014 11:13 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
I honestly forgot she said she was molested and raped. Is it fair to assume her side if the story when nothing came of it? No charges or dismissal of players that I know of

palmettosc 04-08-2014 11:23 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4130582)
I honestly forgot she said she was molested and raped. Is it fair to assume her side if the story when nothing came of it? No charges or dismissal of players that I know of

I think with the multitude of other accusations and the suspension and forced resignation of the coach at the time it is fair to assume something unseemly happened.

Regalcock 04-08-2014 11:30 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4130144)
I've always hated segregating sports based on gender. Women who play sports want to compete against the best, just like men, no matter the gender, so why not let them do it?

It would be really interesting to see some matchups of the top male and female athletes in certain sports, like tennis. I realize there are mixed doubles competitions, but that's not quite what I mean. Imagine the top female and male players squaring off in a singles match! And I don't mean some ridiculous match like Billie Jean King and Bobbie Riggs, either. Riggs was a long, long way from being a top player when the two faced off.

I played tennis in college and still play today. I could not win a game against Serena Williams but trust me she would not beat any man in the top 200 in the world or even come close.

Men are much faster and stronger than women and shots that would be a winners normally for the girls would be tracked down easily by any top level man and ripped by them.

carolinafan53186 04-08-2014 11:59 AM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Oh yeah put lebron in a wnba game and see what happens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Flameout12 04-08-2014 12:03 PM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regalcock (Post 4130613)
Men are much faster and stronger than women and shots that would be a winners normally for the girls would be tracked down easily by any top level man and ripped by them.

Yup...look at basketball. Men are just too physical and the elite are just heads above the best female athletes.

Flameout12 04-08-2014 12:04 PM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinafan53186 (Post 4130638)
Oh yeah put lebron in a wnba game and see what happens

He wouldn't take it serious....would be worried he'd hurt one of them... and probably would. Then everyone would complain and gripe.

Heather_Swart 04-08-2014 12:28 PM

Re: Gender Neutral Basketball
 
Please visit http://www.mgbainc.com and check out the news and media links as well.

If you have a few moments, Youtube MGBA and watch the 4th quarter of an MGBA game in NJ. These women have skills.

The New York Times: "A coed Vision of Professional Basketball" - Harvey Aarton

JET Magazine: "Courting Changes....the NBA and WNBA will have to make room for the MGBA" -LaSheika Hunter

WomenScope News Magazine: "This is fantastic! A mixed gender basketball league sounds promising and quite frankly, long overdue...." - Janet Davis-Leak


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.