CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How a USC degree is viewed in the job market (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205750)

GamecockNeal 04-09-2014 01:15 AM

How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Very cool. This is from the New York Times. It was done by an HR group in Paris. They surveyed tons of top companies, worldwide. This is the list they developed of 150 colleges and universities.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20....html?ref=asia

JerseyBird 04-09-2014 01:19 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
You're only unhireable if you don't get hired

Kaka 04-09-2014 01:45 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.

Sir Cuss 04-09-2014 07:18 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4131147)
No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.

No offense, but you have no room to talk with regards to the concept of being educated. You graduated from a college (not USC) and still don't know how to write a sentence. I'm going to assume you didn't get that job. Sometimes it's the dumb dude who gets the interview because of his connections.

Woody7687 04-09-2014 09:39 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Cuss (Post 4131161)
No offense, but you have no room to talk with regards to the concept of being educated. You graduated from a college (not USC) and still don't know how to write a sentence. I'm going to assume you didn't get that job. Sometimes it's the dumb dude who gets the interview because of his connections.



BURN!!!!

I Bleed Garnet 04-09-2014 09:41 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Cuss (Post 4131161)
No offense, but you have no room to talk with regards to the concept of being educated. You graduated from a college (not USC) and still don't know how to write a sentence. I'm going to assume you didn't get that job. Sometimes it's the dumb dude who gets the interview because of his connections.

He graduated from USC.

gamecock88 04-09-2014 09:45 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Cuss (Post 4131161)
No offense, but you have no room to talk with regards to the concept of being educated. You graduated from a college (not USC) and still don't know how to write a sentence. I'm going to assume you didn't get that job. Sometimes it's the dumb dude who gets the interview because of his connections.

Easy. Don't you know that it's always someone's fault other than your own if you don't get what you want. :clap:

Cockypantherfan 04-09-2014 10:04 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4131147)
No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.

What you just wrote is untrue. USC have quite a few programs that come with high regard. Their supply chain program is held in high regard. And really when it comes to getting a job with a larger company and they are looking for a mid 20s or early 30s employee (or someone with mid level experience), then most likely an advanced degree is highly sought after.

BigRedCock 04-09-2014 10:19 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
I graduated with a BA in business from USC and was hired into AT&T's leadership development program. Had no connections. Got my foot in the door by talking to the hiring staff at the annual career fair for business students. Two interviews later and I was one of twelve recent graduates from other large universities (UPenn, Oregon, UF, Arizona, Pitt, Cal, etc) to be housed in corporate housing on AT&T campus in Buckhead. Had weekly meeting with various VPs and executives from depts at AT&T HQ in Atlanta.

I say this to encourage everyone to disregard that so-called list. If you want the job, you can get it. Your degree gets you in the conversation, then it's up to you; not the letterhead atop your transcript.

JaxcockFL 04-09-2014 10:33 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4131147)
No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.


One of the biggest failures of thinking is to take a personal micro situation and apply it to a macro thought. "I went to an interview once" applies here. Certainly, connections to apply in many cases, but many of the jobs I got were not due to connections. (oops..micro to macro again)

I have noticed that international rankings have USC ranked a lot higher than national rankings. That may be due to international business, or may be due to rankings such as USWR can be manipulated by unscrupulous universities whose locations are not known by most of the population at large.

None the less, for whatever reason, internationally , USC is seen very positively.

cockattorney2 04-09-2014 10:39 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4131147)
No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.

um, if you're talking one of the big buildings in downtown Columbia, of course they receive thousands of resumes from Carolina grads. Doubt a recruiter in NY or even Atlanta would tell you the same thing. Proximity to the University just might be a bit of a factor in a downtown Columbia business getting tons of Carolina grads applying....

kick_ball 04-09-2014 10:54 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Two things:

I think you have to look at programs individually I think it is hard to judge a school with overall sweeping generalizations

Also you have to look at the individual who obtains the degree… the level of effort and work they put into whatever chosen program they were in; internships etc.

USC has some very good programs and programs that need work and are improving. Any employer who just throws a resume away because the degree is from Carolina (or any school for that matter) just because.. is not very good at look at potential candidates and could be throwing out excellent potential employees.

Acockolypse Now 04-09-2014 10:55 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4131147)
No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.

For an educated guy you make a lot of uneducated statements.

LegalCock 04-09-2014 11:04 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Neat article.

GamecockUltimate 04-09-2014 11:57 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka (Post 4131147)
No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.

QFT

our sport and entertainment program is good, hospitality is good, nursing is pretty good. You are uneducated on the standing of our programs,

TKE226 04-09-2014 11:57 AM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Having been on both sides, people don't get hired for their education alone. Education, in part, is what may get them to an interview based on a piece of paper (resume).

Yea there are companies out there that claim to be so prestigious that they will say they only hire from Wharton or other acclaimed business schools, but they will interview people who received their education from other schools.

taylorssc 04-09-2014 12:33 PM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
hard work, dedication, and a true interest/love for what you do creates opportunities to be successful. people, both successful and even more so unsuccessful, want to work with successful people. point being, work ethic creates success, success creates meaningful connections. connections do not create long term success. if you fail to perform, you will be spit out. it is that simple.

GarnetInChicago 04-09-2014 12:44 PM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate (Post 4131281)
QFT

our sport and entertainment program is good, hospitality is good, nursing is pretty good. You are uneducated on the standing of our programs,

You say QFT, yet you're disagreeing with him?

http://www.charityengine.net/media/1...-it-means.jpeg

I disagree with Kaka that the international business program is the only one that gets recognition. It is also worth noting that the program everyone cites as being so highly ranked by publications is the Masters in International Business, not the undergraduate degree (though that is respected, too, of course). But, given that this polling was done at a firm in France, it does stand to reason that our international business prestige would sway the poll in our favor somewhat more than you'd see in a US-based polling.

Regardless, very cool to see a South Carolina degree being considered more valuable than a Vanderbilt degree! Someone forward this to the people who handle recruiting for the AD.

Roosterboy 04-09-2014 12:45 PM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedCock (Post 4131227)
I graduated with a BA in business from USC and was hired into AT&T's leadership development program. Had no connections. Got my foot in the door by talking to the hiring staff at the annual career fair for business students. Two interviews later and I was one of twelve recent graduates from other large universities (UPenn, Oregon, UF, Arizona, Pitt, Cal, etc) to be housed in corporate housing on AT&T campus in Buckhead. Had weekly meeting with various VPs and executives from depts at AT&T HQ in Atlanta.

I say this to encourage everyone to disregard that so-called list. If you want the job, you can get it. Your degree gets you in the conversation, then it's up to you; not the letterhead atop your transcript.

Similar here.
Worked internships through the university, built up the resume' and worked my way up the food chain till I landed my job.

The degree helps, but it really comes down to how bad you want the job, and how much work you are willing to put into getting it.
Also depends on if you are what the employer is looking for.

GamecockUltimate 04-09-2014 12:47 PM

Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago (Post 4131327)
You say QFT, yet you're disagreeing with him?

http://www.charityengine.net/media/1...-it-means.jpeg

I disagree with Kaka that the international business program is the only one that gets recognition. First of all, the program everyone cites as being so highly ranked by publications is the Masters in International Business, not the undergraduate degree (though that is respected, too, of course). But, given that this polling was done at a firm in France, it does stand to reason that our international business prestige would sway the poll in our favor somewhat more than you'd see in a US-based polling.

Regardless, very cool to see a South Carolina degree being considered more valuable than a Vanderbilt degree! Someone forward this to the people who handle recruiting for the AD.


Yeah i said quit effin talking (unless im wrong on What QFT means)

I said it because he is wrong, then i proceeded to let him know why he is wrong. Yall for the most part are correct it isnt the degree, its more than the degree and resume


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.