CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Basketball Recruits (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Tell Frank Martin to get on this kid NOW ! (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205765)

superfly 04-10-2014 08:30 AM

Tell Frank Martin to get on this kid NOW !

wow...unbelievable...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-united-states

2000grad 04-10-2014 08:43 AM

Re: Tell Frank Martin to get on this kid NOW !

Just because he is tall? Do you remember Manute Bol (sp)

Makindough 04-10-2014 09:00 AM

aside from manute bol this kid looks like he actually has a spec of athletic ability. even more than the kid that played for UNC Ashville, that couldnt run up the court more than a couple times. hes got good body mass for a man that big. Most are just bean poles

bigdog2003 04-10-2014 09:01 AM

He isn't built to be a force down low yet. He needs some muscle or he will get pushed around by most centers in major college basketball regardless of how tall he is. UC Irvine has a 7'6 freshman from Senegal and he isn't a force. Averaged 8 ppg and 6.2 rpg. Tall doesn't equal good.

superfly 04-10-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4131822)

Did you watch the video? The kid has just started playing. He is very fluid and weight can be added to make him a force. The kid has moves for his size and his game is just developing.

97srad750 04-10-2014 09:15 AM

I'd take a Manute Bol. He was a 10 year pro, and a pretty good shot blocker.

jared 04-10-2014 09:31 AM

Looks all right to have only just started playing. That thing looks like a baseball in his hands. Wow

usc1 04-10-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Yeah I do, he had an NBA career. That's better than any big we've had in the past 30 years. I'd take this guy on our team any day.

2four2Gamecock 04-10-2014 09:52 AM

I told him

B-G 04-10-2014 09:57 AM

Just texted him.

Hope he reads my text.

G&B 04-10-2014 10:04 AM

hahahaha...he looks like me playing nerf basketball against my nephews. The look on those other kids faces actually is similar to my nephews faces when I give them no hope through bullying.:rotfl:

markp_vip 04-10-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makindough (Post 4131831)
aside from manute bol this kid looks like he actually has a spec of athletic ability. even more than the kid that played for UNC Ashville, that couldnt run up the court more than a couple times. hes got good body mass for a man that big. Most are just bean poles

I think I remember that kid, was he playing back when Brandon Wallace was in school. I remember us playing someone who had a huge kid and BW's head only came up to his shoulders, and Brandon wasn't exactly lacking in the height department.

markymark550 04-10-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp_vip (Post 4131883)
I think I remember that kid, was he playing back when Brandon Wallace was in school. I remember us playing someone who had a huge kid and BW's head only came up to his shoulders, and Brandon wasn't exactly lacking in the height department.

Yeah, that was the guy. His name was Kenny George. We played UNCA twice while George was there. The first game was in the 06-07 season (Wallace's senior year) where we won by about 20. Second game was the next season where they beat us by 3. I saw a game in the 2008 Big South Conference tournament where he blocked a shot with his armpit. A small guard tried to drive the lane and threw up an awkward shot right into him. He barely had to do anything except stand there lol.

George had to quit college basketball because doctors were forced to amputate part of his foot due to a MRSA infection. I think he was able to rehab it though and played professionally overseas for a year or two.

Not that anyone really wanted all this information.

markymark550 04-10-2014 11:42 AM

As for the subject of this thread, it's hard to get a good read on him from that video. I realize not many high schoolers out there would be able to adequately defend him, but I would have liked to seen some of this guy's back-to-the-basket post up moves. Don't get a real good indication of all he can do seeing open dunks and put-back dunks. I'd also be interested in seeing this guy's defense, but again, it would be hard to find a high schooler that could even attempt to post up on this guy. At the very least, he looks like he'd be a good anchor in a 2-3 zone.

ReadR00ster 04-10-2014 12:06 PM

one-and-done, so we won't get him.

Roosterboy 04-10-2014 12:13 PM

As sad before...tall doesn't equal good...and in today's game, there aren't many true 7-foot postmen anymore...with the permiation of uptempo, spread the floor offenses, you need guys than can run the floor and your post guys have to be physical forces down low.

Just look at Baylor's seven-footer...a bean pole who got pushed around.
Or the 7'5 guy out of New Mexico...an out of shape mook who couldn't run up and down the floor.

I like that Martin is filling out this class with "shorter" guys that can run the floor (granted, all the players are taller than most fans on the board I imagine).
If we can land Josh Cunningham, another 6'6-6'7 wing guy that we need, that will be a good addition with Stroman, Blanton and Sheppard.

2000grad 04-10-2014 01:06 PM

Yes, Bol was a great shot blocker, but he was no scorer. He averaged about 160 points per season in the NBA. That is not very much over 82 games per season. Just about every year, his production declined. In one season, he was with 3 different teams. His last team, the Bucks, released him and he never played a game for them.

Cockypantherfan 04-10-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4131934)
Yeah, that was the guy. His name was Kenny George. We played UNCA twice while George was there. The first game was in the 06-07 season (Wallace's senior year) where we won by about 20. Second game was the next season where they beat us by 3. I saw a game in the 2008 Big South Conference tournament where he blocked a shot with his armpit. A small guard tried to drive the lane and threw up an awkward shot right into him. He barely had to do anything except stand there lol.

George had to quit college basketball because doctors were forced to amputate part of his foot due to a MRSA infection. I think he was able to rehab it though and played professionally overseas for a year or two.

Not that anyone really wanted all this information.

I went with my buddy from college in 2007 to see UNCA play Winthrop at Winthrop. Got to see big George in action. He mightily struggled to get up and down the court, but when he did they just fed him the rock and Winthrop could not defend it.

markymark550 04-10-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4132016)
I went with my buddy from college in 2007 to see UNCA play Winthrop at Winthrop. Got to see big George in action. He mightily struggled to get up and down the court, but when he did they just fed him the rock and Winthrop could not defend it.

His first year there was definitely a struggle for him. In addition to being extremely tall and bulky, his conditioning was really poor. Could only go for 3 or 4 minutes at a time if I recall. His second year was much better as he was in much better shape. He was still slow, but he was able to get up and down the court easier and didn't need as many breaks.

qcgamecock 04-10-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Really? Imagine how good this years team would have been with Bol on the defensive end of the court. If you watched the film the kid has a shot, has handles and can jump, Bol could do none of this but was in the NBA 10 years.