CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Stephen Colbert to replace David Letterman (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205770)

markymark550 04-10-2014 02:30 PM

Stephen Colbert to replace David Letterman

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephen-...-on-late-show/

Great choice to take over when Letterman retires. Should be fun to see him, Fallon, and Kimmell battle for late night.

Also, great piece about Letterman posted on Grantland. Recommend reading that if you are a Letterman fan.
http://grantland.com/features/david-...n-retires-cbs/

3MTA3 04-10-2014 03:12 PM

Re: Stephen Colbert to replace David Letterman

This is exactly who I wanted to replace Letterman. Looking forward to seeing how he translates to late night on a major network.

Mr. Burns 04-10-2014 03:33 PM

I hope he is allowed to keep his faux uber-conservative shtick. It makes the show.

Also, Colbert is probably the only personality CBS could have grabbed who will be able to counter NBC's Fallon hire. Beautifully done.

GarnetInChicago 04-10-2014 04:06 PM

I'm not persuaded. Colbert's persona and his show are all based on satire. It works wonderfully as a counter-punch to the Daily Show and in a 30 minute time block. Will that translate to his being a successful light not talk show host? Remains to be seen...

Spur's Addiction 04-10-2014 04:08 PM

Strong pick.

And an SC native at that.

catdaddy66 04-10-2014 04:22 PM

Couldn't ask for better entertainment! Colbert rocks and I will be a loyal watcher of the Report... I mean, the Late Show! Lol

palmettosc 04-10-2014 04:34 PM

Some people are going to be very upset when they finally realize that he's been playing a character for the past decade.

Gamecocks1137 04-10-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmettosc (Post 4132146)
Some people are going to be very upset when they finally realize that he's been playing a character for the past decade.

Yeah I read somewhere that CBS agreed to hire him only if he did it in his normal manner. In other words, not his persona he has been playing on Comedy Central all these years. Besides, following in Letterman's footsteps he kind of has to drop the act, this is a late night show.

uscjeremynca 04-10-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4132061)
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephen-...-on-late-show/

Great choice to take over when Letterman retires. Should be fun to see him, Fallon, and Kimmell battle for late night.

Also, great piece about Letterman posted on Grantland. Recommend reading that if you are a Letterman fan.
http://grantland.com/features/david-...n-retires-cbs/

I read the Grantland piece. I liked the stuff on Letterman but I thought Simmons was overly harsh towards Leno with his digs. Wasn't necessary at all.

I was never a big fan of Letterman but I feel a bit old/nostalgic with him retiring. Late Night as I've always known it is over. Now with Letterman and Leno gone, late night is forever changed. It won't be the same. I don't really know what to compare it to but I feel like a new era has dawned, I am officially getting old, and I can now say "back in my day..." I won't watch the new stuff because being "old" now, things were always better in my days.

Spur's Addiction 04-10-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4132152)
Yeah I read somewhere that CBS agreed to hire him only if he did it in his normal manner. In other words, not his persona he has been playing on Comedy Central all these years.

I agree. He is going to have to tone down his political satire a good bit for the network TV late night crowd. That has been is bread and butter. But I think he can pull it off.

Master Bedroom 04-10-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns (Post 4132103)
I hope he is allowed to keep his faux uber-conservative shtick. It makes the show.

Also, Colbert is probably the only personality CBS could have grabbed who will be able to counter NBC's Fallon hire. Beautifully done.

My thoughts as well

BigRedCock 04-10-2014 10:58 PM

Don't like the choice. Fallon will own Colbert. Fallon is a total entertainer. Comedy, acting, singing, musically talented. Colbert has done one gimmick (don't get me wrong, i like it) but he won't be as successful as Fallon.

Order 66 04-11-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedCock (Post 4132398)
Don't like the choice. Fallon will own Colbert. Fallon is a total entertainer. Comedy, acting, singing, musically talented. Colbert has done one gimmick (don't get me wrong, i like it) but he won't be as successful as Fallon.

Colbert is a great improv comedian, and does a good bit of Broadway stuff. To say he isn't a comedian or actor is a farce. Musically, he can sing every bit as good as Failon.

Just go back and watch Fallon's interview of Colbert when he had him on the show. Colbert is extremely likeable and personable without his CC act. If Fallon could learn to interview someone he might be a decent host. He makes every guest out out to be the best, his favorite, and gushes all over them like an amateur.

I was hoping Conan would get his shot again. I was actually looking at this last night, and saw that Colbert was a candidate. The fact that he is with Viacom/CBS, and his contract with The Colbert Show ends this year basically made this a probable transition for him.

Congrats Colbert, on of SC's own!

Order 66 04-11-2014 12:22 AM

nm

nin_usc_freak92 04-11-2014 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedCock (Post 4132398)

You do know that Colbert has won two grammy's by now, right? I know they're not in prominent categories or anything but he can still sing, and does so quite frequently on the Report and even sang with Fallon once on his late night show.

That said, I love the hire and can't wait to see his showmanship as a late night host.

U-Dub Gamecock 04-11-2014 10:31 AM

Kinda surprised Ellen did not get more consideration. Hey, I don't agree with all of her views, but she is funny

The Yancey 04-11-2014 11:06 AM

Never confuse the actor with the role.

RoyalAir 04-11-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Order 66 (Post 4132434)

I was hoping Conan would get his shot again. I was actually looking at this last night, and saw that Colbert was a candidate.

Conan is definitely the spiritual successor to Letterman in how he self-deprecates and isn't afraid to push the envelope a little bit. I used to love Late Night, and I enjoyed his version of the Tonight Show, but I don't watch Conan on TBS, only because I don't watch any of these shows anymore. If I did, the one I would likely enjoy the most is Kimmel, as I think Fallon is kinda boring.

Interesting to see how Colbert is going to fare here. As has been said, his gimmick has been his staple, but with that removed, I'm not sure people are going to enjoy him as much. Not to say that he isn't capable, or talented, but just that I don't know how well that's going to play.

GarnetInChicago 04-11-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nin_usc_freak92 (Post 4132453)
You do know that Colbert has won two grammy's by now, right? I know they're not in prominent categories or anything but he can still sing, and does so quite frequently on the Report and even sang with Fallon once on his late night show.

That said, I love the hire and can't wait to see his showmanship as a late night host.

You don't mean when they sang Rebecca Black's "Friday" do you? Because he wasn't exactly "singing" in that performance.

nin_usc_freak92 04-11-2014 11:45 AM

No one said it had to be a great song, but singing is singing. He was "singing" on his comedy Christmas album. To say he got big with one "gimmick" and isn't an entertainer like Fallon is absurd.