CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Hartsville (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205778)

HeadCockFan 04-10-2014 07:01 PM

Hartsville

I'm considering a move to Hartsville. Let's say I could make about 55K, with nice opportunities for advancement. I'm a family man with friends and relatives in Columbia. Can anyone that lives there give me the skinny? I've been to Coker College a few times, seems similar to Camden, and like a nice place to raise kids if you have a steady job. Thanks in advance CT.

COCKDIESEL 04-10-2014 07:08 PM

Re: Hartsville

I grew up in Darlington. A lot has changed since I've lived there but 55k should go a long ways there.

walk.daddy 04-10-2014 08:23 PM

I live in Darlington and work in Hartsville, it's a nice town.

HeadCockFan 04-10-2014 08:33 PM

Let's say our family income was about 80K and we had no car payments and no debt. How much house could I get on a 15 year mortgage?

ccured 04-10-2014 08:36 PM

I bought got killed picking shrooms in hartsville one night

cheesebrger gcock 04-10-2014 09:05 PM

Hartsvilles a great place has some of the same problems all other places have but all in all a nice town

#beastmode

HeadCockFan 04-10-2014 09:42 PM

I doubt we can afford private school there, would North Hartsville or Carolina Elementary be the best 2 choices?

FloTownCocky 04-10-2014 10:04 PM

Always good to have a fellow Cocky Talker move near by. I live in Florence right down the road from Hartsville. With your income, you could easily afford $250,000 to $300,000 range depending on what type of financing you would like to go with. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I would love to help you with anything you need. I can introduce you to some Realtors that really know the area well and can answer all the school related questions.

AtlGAMECOCK 04-11-2014 04:15 PM

I went to high school in.hartsville , it's ok. It's a middle sized town with not a ton to do but I think it's getting better.

markp_vip 04-11-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL (Post 4132270)
I grew up in Darlington. A lot has changed since I've lived there but 55k should go a long ways there.

Speaking of Darlington, the early race date is messing with my head. I saw, Darlington this weekend, damn I need to get my Mom a Mother's day present. lol.

Gamecocks321 04-11-2014 04:45 PM

There's just one rule you need to know, if you don't already, never cross the bridge into North Hartsville. That's the bad part of town. If you need to pass through North Hartsville to get where you need to go, just take hwy 15 instead. It's a little further, but safer.

jwojr68 04-11-2014 05:48 PM

I live in Hartsville. Pretty decent town. Regarding private education the local Christian School is about 2500 a year per student with a discount for each student after the first one. As far as how much house you can get it depends on where in Hartsville you decide to buy and how much of a payment you can handle. You should be able to find something decent, however. I would look online or call a local realtor.

HeadCockFan 04-11-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 (Post 4132708)
There's just one rule you need to know, if you don't already, never cross the bridge into North Hartsville. That's the bad part of town. If you need to pass through North Hartsville to get where you need to go, just take hwy 15 instead. It's a little further, but safer.

Can't tell if serious... that part of town looks fine looking on the map. I'm unsure of what to ask here.

EDIT- OK I see the area you're talking about. What's with this little district? Why was this originally built? It looks like housing for mill workers or for some other reason that is long gone and now crap.

My biggest concern is, do kids from this neighborhood ruin North Hartsville Elementary? Or is that a "scared white person" question?

roosterdude21 04-11-2014 06:03 PM

Great place. Coker College causes it to be a pretty diverse place for it being such a small down-home kinda town.

cheesebrger gcock 04-11-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadCockFan (Post 4132733)
Can't tell if serious... that part of town looks fine looking on the map. I'm unsure of what to ask here.

EDIT- OK I see the area you're talking about. What's with this little district? Why was this originally built? It looks like housing for mill workers or for some other reason that is long gone and now crap.

My biggest concern is, do kids from this neighborhood ruin North Hartsville Elementary? Or is that a "scared white person" question?

North Hartsville is not that bad I live over in north Hartsville and have really never had a problem

North Hartsville elementary is "the school" as far as public school goes

#beastmode

HeadCockFan 04-11-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesebrger gcock (Post 4132738)
North Hartsville is not that bad I live over in north Hartsville and have really never had a problem

North Hartsville elementary is "the school" as far as public school goes

#beastmode

Also, is the neighborhood just west of the North side of the bridge OK? There's some nice houses and a country club right there. Great schools.org rates North Hartsville and Carolina Elementary highly.

Thanks for the info.

ScottK 04-11-2014 06:45 PM

Hartsville

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloTownCocky (Post 4132367)
Always good to have a fellow Cocky Talker move near by. I live in Florence right down the road from Hartsville. With your income, you could easily afford $250,000 to $300,000 range depending on what type of financing you would like to go with. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I would love to help you with anything you need. I can introduce you to some Realtors that really know the area well and can answer all the school related questions.

I'm just doing the rough numbers in my head here, but I'm pretty sure a $250-$300,000 mortgage for 15 years is going to be over $2000 a month easily.

I know you're not asking for financial advice but I would not recommend paying ~50% of your monthly income on a house (although I don't think the bank would let you anyway).

With that being said, houses in Hartsville are cheaper than here in Florence and you should be able to get something over 2000sqft and pretty dang nice/updated for $200k or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadCockFan 04-11-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottK (Post 4132755)
I'm just doing the rough numbers in my head here, but I'm pretty sure a $250-$300,000 mortgage for 15 years is going to be over $2000 a month easily.

I know you're not asking for financial advice but I would not recommend paying ~50% of your monthly income on a house (although I don't think the bank would let you anyway).

With that being said, houses in Hartsville are cheaper than here in Florence and you should be able to get something over 2000sqft and pretty dang nice/updated for $200k or less.

That's what I'm finding on Zillow. Seems like 180K buys me a great 3 bedroom house in a nice part of town. I'm just looking for a yard and 2000 sqft. I figured we can swing a 15 year mortgage on 70K family take home. It's possible by year 2 that will be 80 K.

cheesebrger gcock 04-11-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadCockFan (Post 4132747)
Also, is the neighborhood just west of the North side of the bridge OK? There's some nice houses and a country club right there. Great schools.org rates North Hartsville and Carolina Elementary highly.

Thanks for the info.

That sounds like club colony and it is nice too $$ for me on a c.o.'s budget but I live about two miles down in a neighborhood called north wood very nice quiet

#beastmode

ScottK 04-11-2014 09:42 PM

I'm not sure how detailed Zillow is but also consider downloading the realtor.com app and you can search the area.