CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ahh...The Masters (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205851)

Birdwatcher 04-15-2014 05:34 AM

Ahh...The Masters
 
For those who don't care about golf, this is not for you.

This was the fourth year that I have been a Masters patron. I was on the waiting list for ten years. I had attended several practice rounds and par three tournaments over the years. If you ever get a chance to go on Wednesday, plant yourself between the 8th and 9th holes during the par 3.

I give my badges away to friends and family from Thursday through Saturday.

My 23 year-old son and I attend on Sunday.

It's the best quality time we spend all year. We have a great time. This year was no different. I only live 90 minutes away from Augusta so getting there is no problem.

The purpose of this post is to say that in my short experience in attending this tournament, I have never seen such a sight at the 15th as I did Sunday when the leaders approached the green.

I was in the stands overlooking the green. The entire galleries had, of course, abandoned the previous holes, and gathered along and around the 15th.

There was probably 40,000 people standing and sitting at this location and you could have heard a pin drop while the guys were putting and chipping.

All you can hear are birds singing.

It's too surreal to even describe.

burr 04-15-2014 11:04 AM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
very true, it is the magic of the AugNational.

Something i've enjoyed the last few years is the acknowledgement, encouragement, and just general camaraderie shown while wearing my Carolina colors (just a Carolina golf shirt or hat) out there. I even had a KS purple patron (came in from Manhattan, KS) settle in beside me and talk FrankMartin for 20 minutes.

rrsandersjr 04-15-2014 03:43 PM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by burr (Post 4135349)
very true, it is the magic of the AugNational.

Something i've enjoyed the last few years is the acknowledgement, encouragement, and just general camaraderie shown while wearing my Carolina colors (just a Carolina golf shirt or hat) out there. I even had a KS purple patron (came in from Manhattan, KS) settle in beside me and talk FrankMartin for 20 minutes.

I'm amazed at the number of fans that are wearing their team colors at The Masters...they are especially visible around players who played at their school. There are always a lot Carolina, Clemson and Georgia colors but it seemed like I saw many more wearing their colors this year. I wasn't one of them, however.

JNGolf 04-15-2014 05:15 PM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
I seriously doubt there were 40k fans around the 15th hole when there are only 35-40k fans on the entire grounds. Just the way ANGC is set up makes it look like there are more people there than really is.

Jwilson 04-15-2014 05:41 PM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JNGolf (Post 4135691)
I seriously doubt there were 40k fans around the 15th hole when there are only 35-40k fans on the entire grounds. Just the way ANGC is set up makes it look like there are more people there than really is.

In the early days, Clifford Roberts used to have photographers do panorama shots and then have someone count the number of folks.

JNGolf 04-15-2014 10:56 PM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
In the early days there were no limits on tickets and many patrons just walked through the gate. Heck, up until the mid 90s, you could walk up to the gate and pay $15 to get into practice rounds. So much around here has changed, and a lot of it has happened in the last 2-3 decades.

burr 04-16-2014 08:38 AM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JNGolf (Post 4136087)
In the early days there were no limits on tickets and many patrons just walked through the gate. Heck, up until the mid 90s, you could walk up to the gate and pay $15 to get into practice rounds. So much around here has changed, and a lot of it has happened in the last 2-3 decades.

heck, a LOT has changed in the last couple or three years, maybe not noticeable by most. even inside the ropes.

cockymac 04-16-2014 09:22 AM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
Been there many, many times. Live just a few minutes away. Its unreal to walk into. It is literally like walking into a different world. Every sports fan should attend it once.

ShutTheSuccop 04-16-2014 09:40 AM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cockymac (Post 4136200)
Been there many, many times. Live just a few minutes away. Its unreal to walk into. It is literally like walking into a different world. Every sports fan should attend it once.

even people who hate golf love going to Augusta National...there are no words that can describe the place...it is certainly a sight to behold

treys1986 04-16-2014 10:02 AM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
The most amazing place I have ever walked into. I went to a practice round last year. I have never beent to a tournament round.

A tournament round down there is definitely on my bucket list. Hopefully I can score some through the lottery this year.

Birdwatcher 04-16-2014 12:36 PM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by treys1986 (Post 4136222)
A tournament round down there is definitely on my bucket list. Hopefully I can score some through the lottery this year.

Keep plugging away. Your number will come up. Especially now that are selling single day tickets on a limited basis.

Quote:

Its unreal to walk into. It is literally like walking into a different world.
So true. To leave a four lane, busy Washington Road area and step into a quiet setting like Augusta National is not to be described. You have to be there. People say "excuse me" and "thank you" and "how are you" and "where are y'all from?"

The Yankees are easy to spot because they all puff on giant stogies and offer loud opinions and predictions on the outcome which are almost always wrong.

This year, it was one in a crosswalk who boldly stated, "It's gonna take 10 under to win dis ting."

Jwilson 04-16-2014 01:17 PM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
One of the golf magazines did a survey years ago. The question was "What golf course would you like to play before you die". I don't remember the exact numbers now, but something like 65% of the responders said Augusta.

Birdwatcher 04-16-2014 01:47 PM

Re: Ahh...The Masters
 
When my name came up, I actually had to have a notary sign and stamp the reply letter saying that I was interested in purchasing badges. Otherwise, there would have been no dice.

For the last three years, you can only purchase badges by credit card through the Masters website.

When I wanted to change my email address on record, I had to send them a signed, faxed letter explaining why.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.