CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Mad Men (Season 7.1) (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205858)

gamecockphan 04-15-2014 11:31 AM

Mad Men (Season 7.1)

Mad Men returned this past Sunday to low ratings. Really wish that AMC would not break the show up over 2 seasons. Its doubtful that there is this large reveal at the end or that it is driving towards some type of final finish like there was with Breaking Bad. Weiner has already said that hes had the ending in mind since season 4 or 5 and that its challenging to him b/c the last season will leave the characters where they will be forever.

Any way It was good to have the show back. Definitely the smartest and most thought provoking thing on TV. Boy was it dark though. Peggy is stunted (as usual), Ken is turning into Pete, Roger is still in some type of counter culture haze, and Don/Megan are living bi-costal lives and holding onto their sham of a marriage. It was good to see that Pete has adjusted to SoCal life and was happy. It will be interesting to see where things go from here. Id like to see a happy ending but am not counting on it.

cockfight21 04-21-2014 05:48 PM

Re: Mad Men (Season 7.1)

My favortie show on tv. All of the stuff i read before the season said every episode would be packed with substance. not really finding that to be the case. Maybe it will all go down in the second half of the season like Breaking Bad. That was the best ending of a show I have ever seen and I don't even love that show.

gamecockphan 04-22-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockfight21 (Post 4140041)
My favortie show on tv. All of the stuff i read before the season said every episode would be packed with substance. not really finding that to be the case. Maybe it will all go down in the second half of the season like Breaking Bad. That was the best ending of a show I have ever seen and I don't even love that show.

I thought episode 2 was packed full of substance. Maybe not plot related substance but definitely with character sketch and emotional substance.

Don really laid himself bare in front of Sally. He was as honest with her as he's been with anyone in a long while. Plus the final sequence was pretty touching.

In addition, I thought the episode really drove home Don's isolation. It was sad to see him languish in the appartment all day and then dress up when Dawn was coming over, just so he could keep up appearances. He wanted her to stay so badly just to have someone to talk to, but she left pretty quickly and he just turned the TV back on to keep him company.

Pther thoughts -

Damn Lou is a dick!

The whole Peggy and the flowers situtation had a certain sit-com vibe to it. It was pretty funny but also annoying b/c Peg is so oblivious sometimes to other people.

gamecockphan 04-28-2014 09:51 AM

Plot was definitely serviced last night.

Kinda surprised that Don agreed to the terms for this return.

Also - I get that Joan is enjoying her new role as an accounts woman but there no reason to be such a bitch to Don. Joan got her partnership by banging the guy from Jaguar and Don was the only one who told her not to go through with it.

gamecockphan 04-28-2014 10:22 AM

^^^^^

Seems that some viewers think that Joan is still pissed that Don fired Jaguar as a client last season. Although it was likely a good move by Don that lead to the Chevy deal and got rid of the shady POS who represented the dealership interests and was trying to drag dow the national campaign.

I see why Joan would be mad b/c it invalidates her "sacrifice" but she chose to be whore in spite of Don's protests.