CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Eats (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   boiled peanuts (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205862)

superfly 04-15-2014 12:47 PM

boiled peanuts
 
are you kidding me....these people have never heard of them...Monroe NC

ktguen 04-15-2014 12:54 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
My friend was eating them one day and her coworker from Pennsylvania asked her what they were. She had never heard of them.

OldPat 04-15-2014 01:34 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Ate a bait last nite for supper-for real. Always freeze several bushels so I can eat 'em all year long whenever the mood strikes. If push ever comes to shove, think I could make it living off of boiled peanuts, grits, collard greens & a few chickens. Mind you, yard birds, not gamecocks.

DGCrocket 04-15-2014 01:34 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
I agree. I'm also in Monroe and have yet to find any. There was always the "boiled peanut guy" up by Lake Murray and we used to make them all the time at home growing up. Here, people just look at you funny and say how gross it sounds. My wife is from St. Louis and she has only ever thought about roasted peanuts. People just don't know what they are missing.

Rooster2007 04-15-2014 01:45 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
LOL. Reminds me of when I was in college. I brought some back with me from a weekend trip home. One of my roommates was from Chicago and he asked why they were wet. I told him in my southern accent they were 'bawled.' Of course he couldn't understand what the hell I was saying so I then proceeded to explain to him how to boil water. Made me laugh everytime I saw him for the next few weeks.

SC Sandlapper 04-15-2014 02:43 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster2007 (Post 4135494)
LOL. Reminds me of when I was in college. I brought some back with me from a weekend trip home. One of my roommates was from Chicago and he asked why they were wet. I told him in my southern accent they were 'bawled.' Of course he couldn't understand what the hell I was saying so I then proceeded to explain to him how to boil water. Made me laugh everytime I saw him for the next few weeks.

LOL, pretty sure "bol peanut" were my first words.

usc1 04-15-2014 03:16 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Always baffles me when people say they don't like them. (usually northern folks)

Jeff45ACP 04-15-2014 03:21 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Was just telling the gf that when we come to SC next week, that she should have some "bolt" peanuts. She had only heard of people putting them in Coke and has never tried em.

rioninusc 04-15-2014 03:29 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff45ACP (Post 4135566)
Was just telling the gf that when we come to SC next week, that she should have some "bolt" peanuts. She had only heard of people putting them in Coke and has never tried em.

Don't you mean Roasted peanuts into coke? Boiled sounds nasty. Boiled should be eaten by themselves with optional seasonings, salt is a must though. :thumbsup: Another thing I notice a lot of northerners don't like is Mustard. Mayo is their prime condiment.

atlgamecockman 04-15-2014 04:06 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4135572)
Don't you mean Roasted peanuts into coke? Boiled sounds nasty. Boiled should be eaten by themselves with optional seasonings, salt is a must though. :thumbsup: Another thing I notice a lot of northerners don't like is Mustard. Mayo is their prime condiment.

This is correct. Multiple friends from Connecticut and NY that hate mustard and will mix their ketchup and mayo together. Weird folk.

Birdwatcher 04-17-2014 07:06 AM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Many years ago my Grandfather from Texas came to SC for a visit and got into some boiled peanuts. He wrote down the recipe for the best ones and sent it back to an Aunt in Texas who lived on a little farm and grew peanuts every year.

She was a very good cook and raised eight kids including myself at times. He asked her to make some for him for when he returned. When he arrived, she told him she had followed the instructions and measurements just as he had sent but it couldn't be right because she couldn't see how anyone could eat such a thing.

So when he went to take a look in the pot he saw that she had shelled the peanuts before beginning.

Salty peanut mush. Happy ending...she later mastered how to do it correctly and made some of the best I've ever put in my mouth.

Cocky chick 04-17-2014 08:51 AM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4135572)
Don't you mean Roasted peanuts into coke? Boiled sounds nasty. Boiled should be eaten by themselves with optional seasonings, salt is a must though. :thumbsup: Another thing I notice a lot of northerners don't like is Mustard. Mayo is their prime condiment.


Not much better in all the world than roasted peanuts in an ice-cold glass bottle of Coke...

cocky0 04-17-2014 05:29 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Anyone who doesn't like boiled peanuts is ok in my book. That just leaves many more for me.

COCKYWOOD 04-17-2014 06:32 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Dr Pepper and peanuts were more popular than Coke and peanuts. At least years ago. And please, no diet drinks.

ccured 04-17-2014 06:48 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD (Post 4137492)
Dr Pepper and peanuts were more popular than Coke and peanuts. At least years ago. And please, no diet drinks.

i have never heard of someone doing this

kingoftheroost 04-17-2014 06:50 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Why did I click on this thread? Now I'm gonna have to go get me some boiled peanuts! Thanks!!!!! No, seriously, thank you for making me think about them.

COCKYWOOD 04-17-2014 07:01 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
I can remember as a kid my parents filling the car at a Crown station that the owner always gave me a ice cold Dr Pepper and a pack of peanuts to drop into it. The station was on Spruill in North Charleston.

M.C. 04-17-2014 07:02 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
love them... i like mine extra salty

rioninusc 04-17-2014 07:18 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD (Post 4137517)
I can remember as a kid my parents filling the car at a Crown station that the owner always gave me a ice cold Dr Pepper and a pack of peanuts to drop into it. The station was on Spruill in North Charleston.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4137506)
i have never heard of someone doing this

There's your answer, from Charleston. I think people from Charleston have their own thing in the state compared to the rest of the state. I'm sure there are some highland/midlands that differ as well.

FanofCarolina1 04-17-2014 07:21 PM

Re: boiled peanuts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superfly (Post 4135437)
are you kidding me....these people have never heard of them...Monroe NC

Neither has the locals here in North Dakota, yet they drink their beer with tomato juice.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.