CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Cuonzo Martin to Cal (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205864)

SCohioBoy 04-15-2014 03:11 PM

Cuonzo Martin to Cal

Leaving Tenn to take over Cal, interesting move on his part. There was a lot of rumbling he wanted out of kville

usc1 04-15-2014 03:19 PM

Re: Cuonzo Martin to Cal

Good hire for Cal. If UT can get their hands on Marshall they'll be more than happy about it.

SCohioBoy 04-15-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4135564)
Good hire for Cal. If UT can get their hands on Marshall they'll be more than happy about it.

question is though, can the afford him?

rrsandersjr 04-15-2014 03:35 PM

My friends from UT are not upset with the loss of Martin...felt that he underachieved.

CoverTwo 04-15-2014 03:38 PM

What happened to Montgomery? He retire?

Gyle41386 04-15-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4135583)
What happened to Montgomery? He retire?

Yes.

Sidenote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlSGWgwCUAEjASK.png:large

Ericvol2096 04-15-2014 03:44 PM

Sweet, get paid 1.3Million for a coach to leave that very likely could have been fired after next season and we would have been paying him 2M not to coach.

Crazy side bar to all of this is below...thought Martin was better than this.

1. Cuonzo is in Arizona yesterday on UTs dime recruiting a 7 footer

2. While in Arizona yesterdat on UTs dime recruiting the 7 footer Martin is interviewing with Cal

3. While in Arizona on UTs dime recruiting the 7 footer to Tennessee he is also telling said 7 footer that he is consideration the Cal Job and if can come there too if he wants

4. Cuonzo takes Cal job and does not inform his team in person

5. Said 7 footer switches commitment to Cal within 1 hour of leak

SCohioBoy 04-15-2014 03:45 PM

I think UTjr was going get rid of him this year or next then they made a good run.

I guess he was prob getting tired of UTjr's antics toward him as well, talk of firing him and such.

Ericvol2096 04-15-2014 03:45 PM

Also very weird fit for Martin and his staff (which he is taking all of them with him...thank God). They are all Illinois, Missouri boys and have only recruited the Chicago and South most of their careers.

Can't imagine they have a huge amount of connections in LA, San Fran and Seattle at high schools.

gamecockjay 04-15-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 (Post 4135588)
Sweet, get paid 1.3Million for a coach to leave that very likely could have been fired after next season and we would have been paying him 2M not to coach.

2. While in Arizona yesterdat on UTs dime recruiting the 7 footer Martin is interviewing with Cal

3. While in Arizona on UTs dime recruiting the 7 footer to Tennessee he is also telling said 7 footer that he is consideration the Cal Job and if can come there too if he wants

He probably had to fly southwest since most of the boosters would not allow him to use their planes...

UT and Hart had his coming.

ShutTheSuccop 04-15-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 (Post 4135588)

So you only have a problem with this when it goes against UT? Give me a break if you don't think that kiffin and butch jones did the same thing when they arrived in terms of their direct recruiting or that of their staffs...drop the holier than thou attitude

Ericvol2096 04-16-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop (Post 4136052)
So you only have a problem with this when it goes against UT? Give me a break if you don't think that kiffin and butch jones did the same thing when they arrived in terms of their direct recruiting or that of their staffs...drop the holier than thou attitude

No I don't mind it, he just preaches that he won't recruit committed players and is all holier than thou. I don't mind a guy who bends the rules as long as they don't pretend to be a saint.

Martin saw the writing on the wall when Hart gave him a raise but lowered his buyout if fired significantly last week.

jrussjr 04-16-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 (Post 4136249)
No I don't mind it, he just preaches that he won't recruit committed players and is all holier than thou. I don't mind a guy who bends the rules as long as they don't pretend to be a saint.

Martin saw the writing on the wall when Hart gave him a raise but lowered his buyout if fired significantly last week.

Sorry, Eric, but in my opinion the bolded above should have been "disrespect".

But, IF, utjr can round up enough $$ for their men's basketball coach to get Greg Marshall....well, let's use TO's words "Ahhh, hail, get the popcorn ready!"...unfortunately

Ericvol2096 04-16-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussjr (Post 4136263)
Sorry, Eric, but in my opinion the bolded above should have been "disrespect".

But, IF, utjr can round up enough $$ for their men's basketball coach to get Greg Marshall....well, let's use TO's words "Ahhh, hail, get the popcorn ready!"...unfortunately

Well with Stokes gone we aren't going to be very good next year and our fanbase would have likely gotten pissed with another NIT season and it would have been hard for Hart to keep Martin 2 more seasons, IMO.

I would have been happy to keep Martin, but am not heartbroken by how it played out.

SCohioBoy 04-16-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 (Post 4136249)

Really he recruited a kid that was committed to him. Also would you rather him lie to a recruit saying he is going to stay? Or be honest telling him he was going to leave, I would then think the kid would have decommitted from utjr.

You would think the bitterness of coaches leaving/being fired would just roll off the backs of utjr fans by now. Truth be told, and I know you guys will make an excuse, but utjr's athletic department is a mess.

B-G 04-16-2014 12:06 PM

What's with all the UTjr stuff?

Tennessee was a school before Texas

jrussjr 04-16-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4136291)
What's with all the UTjr stuff?

Tennessee was a school before Texas

You have a point there but its not like we can still use the "You can't spell Citrus without ut" line anymore for more than one reason!!

B-G 04-16-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussjr (Post 4136297)
You have a point there but its not like we can still use the "You can't spell Citrus without ut" line anymore for more than one reason!!

Okay.... But I never mentioned or asked that.

SCohioBoy 04-16-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4136299)

same as why they call us usce or uscjr.

jrussjr 04-16-2014 01:14 PM

Cuonzo Martin to Cal

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4136299)

It was a joke, just as utjr is an attempt at hilarity!! Sorry if I "ruffled your feathers"!
BTW, most Cocky folks do not capitalize the ut, implies the giving of respect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk