CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hillsborough (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205881)

Thenardier 04-15-2014 11:37 PM

Hillsborough

Did anyone watch the 30 for 30 on The HillsboroughDid Disaster? That was the most powerful one I've seen.

gamecockphan 04-15-2014 11:49 PM

Re: Hillsborough

I was a tough watch. Actually seeing all of the clips from the disaster was awful.

The close ups of the family's faces when the journalist/author discussed the tollof justice denied was the most moving part for me.

Going to the LFC v AC Millan match this summer. Looking forward to singing YNWA.

FlorenceCock 04-16-2014 12:09 AM

I watched it and it was probably the best 30 for 30 they have done yet. It was horrible how the police tried to blame it all on people being drunk and the Liverpool fans.

myrtsmom 04-16-2014 12:35 AM

I watched it and was literally brought to tears to see the actual footage of what happened. I majored in Sports Administration and did my senior paper on how the design of soccer/football stadiums contributed to hooliganism and tragedies such as Hillsborough, and how the resulting Taylor Act instituted changes in these designs such as facilities being all seated with no standing terraces. I obviously did a lot of book rearch and saw many photos of the tragedy, but seeing the reel footage and learning about the numerous investigative cover-ups (which were not known about when I wrote my paper in 1994), made me much better realize what a true hell it was for the victims and their families.

A result of my research on Hillsborough was that it created a soft place in my heart for Liverpool, and I've been a huge fan of theirs ever since. I'm excited that I will be going to see them play in Charlotte this summer (ironically my brother's favorite team is AC Milan), and look forward to cheering them on the next four weeks hopefully to a Championship. I can't think of a team or fan base that is more deserving. YNWA!

crowcutta 04-16-2014 07:27 AM

below isnt the 30 for 30, but its a bbc program on it that i watched about a year ago. i havent watched the 30 for 30 yet.

SR4-AJ1 04-16-2014 08:55 AM

I have seen the bbc documentary posted above and the 30 for 30 last night. They are both very powerful and shows what the government will do sometimes to crucify people to make themselves look better. Seeing that live footage was very eye opening. The sad part is this is not the only disaster for football fans around the world. There are at-least 4 others that happened with more than 25 deaths. This one just so happened to be more in the spotlight due to the police and government botching it. I am an Arsenal fan, but in a weird way seeing Liverpool win the league this year,the year they finally were served justice, will be a touching story to those fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscjeremynca 04-16-2014 11:55 AM

I taped it last night but haven't watched it yet. Watched all the Premier League highlights this weekend where every team took a moment of silence to remember Hillsborough. Then there was the Liverpool match on Sunday where they beat Man City. Gerrard shed tears (his 10 year old cousin was one of the victims).

I want to learn more about this. However, it is etched in the mind of English soccer fans everywhere - especially Liverpool fans.

weatheredxtown 04-16-2014 12:05 PM

Could somebody explain to me what exactly this incident was? Since it was before my time.

SClawman 04-16-2014 12:06 PM

Watched it. Very sad-especially seeing those poor people (many young) getting crunched against the fence as the cops just looked on. They were packed in like caged animals. Some cops tried to assist to no avail while many were ordered to block off the home field fans across the field. This was completely stupid as opposing fans were trying to help the injured too. It wasn't about the game at that point.

Thenardier 04-16-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weatheredxtown (Post 4136290)
Could somebody explain to me what exactly this incident was? Since it was before my time.

96 Liverpool fans were crushed due to the ineptitude of the Police in 1989, the police then covered up their mistakes and blamed the victims. The cover-up was finally acknowledged this year.

uscjeremynca 04-16-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weatheredxtown (Post 4136290)

Read the opening section and the part called The Disaster to get an overview of what happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

SR4-AJ1 04-16-2014 12:37 PM

Hillsborough

Ibrox park and Heysel are two more that are pretty well known disasters. Futbol back in the early 80's was 100 times different than it is today. The standing room only sections in the stadiums were basically like cages to hold fans in. The only standing room section left that I know of is the Sudtribune in Westfalenstadion, which is actually quite something to see. Attended a game in person there back in '08 and fell in love with the atmosphere there. I now pull for them because of it. Here are two videos of that famous section called the yellow wall.
http://youtu.be/SkSRhEqZzsg

http://youtu.be/H5OWa817UjA

Don't think I can embed on my phone so anyone willing to would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdwylie 04-16-2014 01:17 PM

I watched it and could not take my eyes off of it. I'll tell you how compelling it was. I had to continue watching even though the season finale for Teen Mom 2 was on. I am not making light of the Hillsborough tragedy by saying that either. When anything on TV is more tragic than Teen Mom 2, it deserves your attention.

Thenardier 04-20-2014 10:36 PM

If you missed it Hillsborough is starting on ESPN 2

Beano Cook 04-22-2014 12:01 PM

I watched it last night.ESPN consistently does an excellent job on the 30 for 30's and this was the best in my opinion.

Its amazing that 25 plus years later this thing is still being investigated.

kick_ball 04-22-2014 12:05 PM

one of the best 30 for 30s ive seen... the moment when the whole stadium interrupted the politician and started chanting "justice for the 96!" i got chills .. you can say alot of things about espn but these films are awesome

Wingman 04-26-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamecockphan (Post 4136123)
I was a tough watch. Actually seeing all of the clips from the disaster was awful.

The close ups of the family's faces when the journalist/author discussed the tollof justice denied was the most moving part for me.

Going to the LFC v AC Millan match this summer. Looking forward to singing YNWA.

ME, TOO!!!