CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   High School Sports (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Bamberg High School Baseball Teams (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205883)

dreammachine 04-16-2014 03:33 AM

Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
We constantly talk about the great football programs in our state but does anyone remember what a great run on State Championships the Baseball Coach at Bamberg did in the 60's and 70's? Are there any players that maybe played for him on this website that could tell us what made them such a powerhouse for many years in the small city of Bamberg?

:swingcoc::swingcoc::swingcoc:

jccgogamecocks 04-16-2014 08:05 AM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreammachine (Post 4136172)
We constantly talk about the great football programs in our state but does anyone remember what a great run on State Championships the Baseball Coach at Bamberg did in the 60's and 70's? Are there any players that maybe played for him on this website that could tell us what made them such a powerhouse for many years in the small city of Bamberg?

:swingcoc::swingcoc::swingcoc:

Coach Horton was a bad man when it came to baseball. His wife is a pretty sporty coach as well.

usc_yogi 04-18-2014 06:31 PM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Combination of good talent and coaching. Once the system got rolling the future generations bought into it and did things the right way. I was able to coach against him during the last decade of his career and unfortunately saw his 700th win in person lol. Good man and coach and I hated to see him leave, but I know he wanted more time to watch his grand kids play baseball in the Atlanta area I believe.

U-Dub Gamecock 04-27-2014 07:22 PM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Didn't he win like 8 or 9 state titles in a row?

smoovecock 04-29-2014 01:47 PM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
8 in a row then several after that run...I went to school there played for him 1 year until the golf gene kicked in....Good thing I wasn't D1 talent in baseball and the following year I remember the starting 9 all got schollies or offers..

Herbie3 04-29-2014 02:24 PM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Yeah, back in 1992 Bamberg had Preston Wilson, Mookie Wilson son. Funny thing is that Preston would have hit 50 homers that season, but no one would pitch to him. Think he end up with like 28 bombs for the season, then draft first round by Mets.

smoovecock 04-29-2014 02:37 PM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
In the 70s to go along with our streak in baseball we also went to the football state championships 6 times in a row....played Chapin in 3 and Woodruff 3...Didn't win a damn one of them....Chapin had I M Hipp as their QB...He started at QB for OU I believe...

Gaichon 05-02-2014 12:23 AM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoovecock (Post 4145795)
In the 70s to go along with our streak in baseball we also went to the football state championships 6 times in a row....played Chapin in 3 and Woodruff 3...Didn't win a damn one of them....Chapin had I M Hipp as their QB...He started at QB for OU I believe...

Hipp played at Nebraska.

Didn't realize the football team had its own streak.

smoovecock 05-02-2014 09:20 AM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaichon (Post 4148094)
Hipp played at Nebraska.

Didn't realize the football team had its own streak.

...Nebraska...Okie..to me they are the same...:lol::lol:..The football streak was just playing in the championship games...We didn't win a dang one of them.....They all were great games but Woodruff and Chapin seemed to have that one extra playmaker ......Oh well...

Gaichon 05-05-2014 08:03 PM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoovecock (Post 4148230)
...Nebraska...Okie..to me they are the same...:lol::lol:..The football streak was just playing in the championship games...We didn't win a dang one of them.....They all were great games but Woodruff and Chapin seemed to have that one extra playmaker ......Oh well...

I'm from Clinton - know all about those good ole Woodruff teams. The first extra playmaker I was old enough to remember was some guy named Tony Rice.

U-Dub Gamecock 05-05-2014 08:34 PM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoovecock (Post 4145749)
8 in a row then several after that run...I went to school there played for him 1 year until the golf gene kicked in....Good thing I wasn't D1 talent in baseball and the following year I remember the starting 9 all got schollies or offers..

I know Tracy Wise (who played there in the mid 80s)... played softball against him. Heard he could flat kill a baseball.. Dude sure could hit it in softball.

smoovecock 05-07-2014 01:55 PM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4150271)
I know Tracy Wise (who played there in the mid 80s)... played softball against him. Heard he could flat kill a baseball.. Dude sure could hit it in softball.

...Yep...he was a good player all around but just didn't seem to have all his noodles in the same bowl...If you get my drift...

U-Dub Gamecock 05-10-2014 07:50 AM

Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoovecock (Post 4151267)
...Yep...he was a good player all around but just didn't seem to have all his noodles in the same bowl...If you get my drift...

LOL... Most softball players don't. :lol:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.