CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Updated: Diamond DeShields to visit (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205921)

davidmc467 04-17-2014 02:29 PM

Updated: Diamond DeShields to visit

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/blog...nsfer-from-UNC

Quote:

National freshman of the year Diamond DeShields is transferring from North Carolina.

DeShields scored 648 points this past season, more than any freshman in ACC history, and led the Tar Heels to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2008. UNC was supposed to return every player from that team and had been ranked as high as No. 2 in preseason polls for 2014-15 behind national champion Connecticut.

DeShields was the cornerstone of a four-player freshman class that was ranked No. 1 in the country.

Tar Heels coach Sylvia Hatchell said in a statement that she did not “know or understand” why DeShields is leaving.

“As most everyone knows, I was out and missed the entire season with leukemia,” Hatchell said. “Thankfully, I’m in complete remission and will be back 100% for next season. It breaks my heart that I will not have the opportunity to coach Diamond and help develop her on and off the court. I love her and wish her well."

DeShields could not immediately be reached for comment.

weatheredxtown 04-17-2014 02:33 PM

Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Why on earth could she be leaving?!

FlorenceCock 04-17-2014 02:42 PM

I for one would welcome her here with open arms that is for sure.

davidmc467 04-17-2014 02:45 PM

I think she is from Georgia. It'd be interesting to see if she goes to a SEC school like UGA.

ccured 04-17-2014 02:49 PM

Wow. Wonder what the heck is up

CoverTwo 04-17-2014 02:50 PM

She is from Norcross, Georgia.

SR4-AJ1 04-17-2014 02:50 PM

Opens the door even more for us now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoverTwo 04-17-2014 02:53 PM

I think she is going to end up at Tennessee? Apparently she has a really close friend, Te'a Cooper, that is about to end up there?

Regalcock 04-17-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4137303)
I think she is going to end up at Tennessee? Apparently she has a really close friend, Te'a Cooper, that is about to end up there?

That makes sense I guess. Can't see her going to a program outside of the top ten.

CockyGuy 04-17-2014 02:56 PM

Maybe instead of Diamond trying to recruit A'ja it was the other way around???

Luke Skycocker 04-17-2014 02:58 PM

Saw this rumor a few days ago but I thought it was just bullcrap. This is really surprising.

CockyGuy 04-17-2014 02:59 PM

Look for a lot of these southern girls to stay and play in the SEC with the exposure the SEC network is about to provide women's BBall. IMO

JerseyBird 04-17-2014 03:20 PM

Not knowing the whole story, of course, and as we know talent overcomes character all the time in the sports world, but would you want to take someone who just bailed on her school like that?

FearThethumbandDJ 04-17-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4137330)
Not knowing the whole story, of course, and as we know talent overcomes character all the time in the sports world, but would you want to take someone who just bailed on her school like that?

As long as they are talented no one cares about anything else. Look at TO or Chad Johnsons career.

UNC fans are saying there was tampering or something....please WBB barely makes money no one is gonna drop $$$ on a player.

ReadR00ster 04-17-2014 03:45 PM

wow, crazy, she attracts so much drama this one.

CockyGuy 04-17-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ (Post 4137342)
As long as they are talented no one cares about anything else. Look at TO or Chad Johnsons career.

UNC fans are saying there was tampering or something....please WBB barely makes money no one is gonna drop $$$ on a player.

True. What I see is National Freshman of the Year. She can be honed in.

CockyGuy 04-17-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4137330)

She may see the writing on the wall with UNC's athletic department and the fake class scandal. Along with the penalties that maybe assessed.

ktguen 04-17-2014 03:54 PM

Wow. One of my best friends is very very close with Diamond and her whole family (they all went to Woodward together) and knew nothing of this until I sent her this link.

She says she's surprised and doesn't know where she will go. She did say her and A'ja are close, however.

I told her about the Tennessee rumor and she said she could see that happening. She had complained some about Chapel Hill to her.

ReadR00ster 04-17-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyGuy (Post 4137310)
Maybe instead of Diamond trying to recruit A'ja it was the other way around???

HA! I wish. They beat us twice remember. Than again, maybe she wants to play for Dawn Staley too!

ReadR00ster 04-17-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4137303)

Oh, I thought WE were in the running to get Cooper.