CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Chicago ND fan/SEC book idea (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205984)

magoo 04-20-2014 04:46 PM

Chicago ND fan/SEC book idea

Hey All,

I'm a die hard Notre Dame fan and a 28 y/o teacher from Chicago (hope you don't hold that against me). I'm going to take next year off teaching and tour the SEC with the intention of writing a book about fan culture and identity and what it's like being a college football fan in the SEC.

I'm hoping to get to know some of you and get to know what makes you tick, what you love, what frustrates you, etc about South Carolina football. The plan is to be down there for the Tennessee game November 1st, get there a couple days early, check out campus, meet fans, check the tailgate and game.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. For starters, whats it like having a legendary coach at the helm? Whats the impression of head ball coach? What's it been like over the past few years having program changing players like Clowney, Lattimore, and to some extent Jeffrey (as I Bears fan, I was soooo happy when we drafted that guy)? Where do you see the program headed and what needs to happen for you to get over the last hump and win a National Championship?

Thanks in advance for welcoming me to the board and feel free to ask any questions you have about ND football (if you have any. I think I'm a pretty level-headed fan and I get that I'm part of a largely elitist fan base that hasn't deserved national attention for the better part of 20 years since Holtz left)

Jim

Carolinafan8908 04-20-2014 05:14 PM

Re: Chicago ND fan/SEC book idea

I sent you a private message, I'd be interested in helping you and sharing with you what makes South Carolina a special place for the Garnet & Black!

ReadR00ster 04-20-2014 05:53 PM

Well, the first thing you have to do to understand what it is like being and SEC fan is stop being a Notre Dame fan, pick an SEC team as your favorite team, and move and live near the campus and start going to sporting events all the time. If you can't do that you're not going to have the entire picture of what you are writing about.

Cockypantherfan 04-20-2014 07:33 PM

It will be tough to fully understand what it is like without having grown up in it. College football is basically like a religion in the south.

spareparts 04-20-2014 07:41 PM

There are several ND fans around here too

b381l 04-20-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoo (Post 4139345)
Hey All,

I'm a die hard Notre Dame fan and a 28 y/o teacher from Chicago (hope you don't hold that against me). I'm going to take next year off teaching and tour the SEC with the intention of writing a book about fan culture and identity and what it's like being a college football fan in the SEC.

I'm hoping to get to know some of you and get to know what makes you tick, what you love, what frustrates you, etc about South Carolina football. The plan is to be down there for the Tennessee game November 1st, get there a couple days early, check out campus, meet fans, check the tailgate and game.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. For starters, whats it like having a legendary coach at the helm? Whats the impression of head ball coach? What's it been like over the past few years having program changing players like Clowney, Lattimore, and to some extent Jeffrey (as I Bears fan, I was soooo happy when we drafted that guy)? Where do you see the program headed and what needs to happen for you to get over the last hump and win a National Championship?

Thanks in advance for welcoming me to the board and feel free to ask any questions you have about ND football (if you have any. I think I'm a pretty level-headed fan and I get that I'm part of a largely elitist fan base that hasn't deserved national attention for the better part of 20 years since Holtz left)

Jim

I think in your travels to experience the SEC, you'll find how important football is in the South. It's not a game, it's a way of life.

behindenemylines 04-20-2014 08:06 PM

What is funny is fans in other parts of the country thin they know what it is like but they really have know idea.

uscgamecocks88 04-20-2014 08:35 PM

It sounds like a cool idea and I'm sure it will be a interesting read but I will say one thing: football is so different in the south. It's like a religion. It's hard to explain our passion for it unless you see it for yourself.

RHHS8068 04-20-2014 09:11 PM

Good luck. You'll need it. And I mean both statements sincerely and am not trying to be snarky.

I grew up in SC, graduated Carolina, and lived many years in New England. People in the North think they get college football, but they don't. In general, most northerners simply cannot conceive how personally important college athletics, and college football in particular, is.

For starters, ND-SoCal is not a rivalry. You're 2000 miles apart and most graduates of each school will never know a graduate of the other school. Carolina-clem5on, Bama-Auburn, GT-UGA are rivalries. We share the same state and often live next door to each other. It is a 365 day/year thing for us.

Coming to the UT game will be good. But if you really want to see a spectacle, go to an SEC rivalry game. It is a whole different level.

ds401 04-20-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Hey All,

Jim

My husband and I moved to Columbia 4 years ago. I grew up in Chgo./Gladstone Park and Skokie, then Cleveland. I remember when we were looking for a house here in the city of Columbia near campus EVERY home in the 400k range had a garnet colored room. You see these were not 'college' rented homes. These were GAMECOCK FAN'S homes. Honestly I thght. who the heck paints their living rms Garnet. In Cleveland and Chgo. we did not paint our walls orange and blue nor orange and brown. Now I understand. I go to football, baseball, and both men and women basketball games.

COACH SPURRIER
He definately knows the game. He says it like it is which I appreciate.

FOOTBALL GAME ATTIRE- Ladies- black sundress and pearls I heard. I thght. my husband was setting me up. At Pro football games we wear parkas, pants, team sweatshirt or team color sweater, hat scarf, ect. b/c it is COLD!

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE- Do NOT schedule ANYTHING not even death during a game! The Phil Harmonic Orchestra schedules their concerts around the football games. If u schedule something during a SEC football game, you will have a low turnout.

THANKSGIVING It is GAMECOCKS vs Clemson. DO not expect me to go back home during this holiday. Do not expect me to entertain u if u visit us on that gameday unless u want to WATCH the game with me.

BOWL games- remember when the Cleveland Browns fans drove on the school buses to Baltimore to get the Browns name back ??? Well, SEC fans will go to that Bowl game no matter what the name is. That is THEIR TEAM. THEIR BLOOD. SEC teams rule.

RELIGION Base
YES Football is a religion in the SEC. EVERY Saturday during football season is gameday and tailgating. During off and during the season it is recruiting.

We have been in Columbia for 4 years now. Our football tickets were renewed last month. They are on my husband calendar so no business trips are planned.

When u come in for a game, wear Garnet and Black.

USC GOOOOO.... COCKS!

uscgamecocks88 04-20-2014 09:51 PM

Can't forget the #1 rule in the south: NEVER, EVER, EVER schedule a wedding during football season.

BlueHerons 04-20-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Hey All,

Jim

Being a Gamecock is something I was born into. I have been going to games since I was a kid (I'm 48), my kids have been going to games since they were kids etc.

While we've only been an SEC team since 1992, our football culture has always been strong. It isn't just the SEC, it is football in the South.

Until we got Lou Holtz as a coach, we got had sub par coaching (excluding Morrison but that is a whole other story).

You grow up on football Saturdays in the fall. No one gets married on a home game day because no one will show up to your wedding.

On football Saturdays, Williams Brice Stadium becomes the second biggest city in the state.

One of my lifelong friend's parents, donated the money to build Williams Brice. It was a blast going to games and seeing then Gov Carroll Campbell in worse seats than we had.

It's just a really hard thing to explain because it is so innate. It is like trying to explain the color blue.

Forgot to add, I've always worn a dress to the games except for the odd chilly game that I've worn wool pants but we definitely dress for games.

Good luck!

rrsandersjr 04-20-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ds401 (Post 4139550)
My husband and I moved to Columbia 4 years ago. I grew up in Chgo./Gladstone Park and Skokie, then Cleveland. I remember when we were looking for a house here in the city of Columbia near campus EVERY home in the 400k range had a garnet colored room. You see these were not 'college' rented homes. These were GAMECOCK FAN'S homes. Honestly I thght. who the heck paints their living rms Garnet. In Cleveland and Chgo. we did not paint our walls orange and blue nor orange and brown. Now I understand. I go to football, baseball, and both men and women basketball games.

COACH SPURRIER
He definately knows the game. He says it like it is which I appreciate.

FOOTBALL GAME ATTIRE- Ladies- black sundress and pearls I heard. I thght. my husband was setting me up. At Pro football games we wear parkas, pants, team sweatshirt or team color sweater, hat scarf, ect. b/c it is COLD!

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE- Do NOT schedule ANYTHING not even death during a game! The Phil Harmonic Orchestra schedules their concerts around the football games. If u schedule something during a SEC football game, you will have a low turnout.

THANKSGIVING It is GAMECOCKS vs Clemson. DO not expect me to go back home during this holiday. Do not expect me to entertain u if u visit us on that gameday unless u want to WATCH the game with me.

BOWL games- remember when the Cleveland Browns fans drove on the school buses to Baltimore to get the Browns name back ??? Well, SEC fans will go to that Bowl game no matter what the name is. That is THEIR TEAM. THEIR BLOOD. SEC teams rule.

RELIGION Base
YES Football is a religion in the SEC. EVERY Saturday during football season is gameday and tailgating. During off and during the season it is recruiting.

We have been in Columbia for 4 years now. Our football tickets were renewed last month. They are on my husband calendar so no business trips are planned.

When u come in for a game, wear Garnet and Black.

USC GOOOOO.... COCKS!

Wow, you get it! How long did it take?

ds401 04-20-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsandersjr (Post 4139581)
Wow, you get it! How long did it take?

Before the first game.

Lalli25 04-20-2014 11:27 PM

I grew up an ND fan and had lots of family go there; one of my brothers even played under Holtz. I graduated from USC and can say from first hand experience, having been to countless ND and USC games, that there is just a different experience at a SEC game. Basically take the feel of the 2005 ND vs. So Cal game and have that or better every week basically. Going to ND is like being at a church. It's an amazing experience and the traditions are awesome but going down south it is an entirely different culture and way of life. The tailgating is at a whole other level.

GamecockUltimate 04-21-2014 01:15 AM

To sum it up for me, i was born a gamecock, when we played backyard football, we werent calling out pro teams, or players, we wanted to be gamecocks or tigers etc. To us our teams won national championships every year in the front yards, even when we were 0-11 on the gridiron. That was as a kid of course.

SanAntonioCock 04-21-2014 01:33 AM

The thing that makes Gamecock fans unique is our support for our team thru some pretty lean times
Similar to Cubs fans, I would guess. It makes success all the sweeter.

Acockolypse Now 04-21-2014 01:43 AM

Curious, why aren't you writing a book about Notre Dame or the Big 10?

Thenardier 04-21-2014 02:26 AM

Which Auburn game are you going to?

uscsandstorm85 04-21-2014 02:58 AM

College football goes beyond gamedays in the southeast.