CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Athlon Ranks the SEC's QBs (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205991)

Thenardier 04-21-2014 12:25 AM

Athlon Ranks the SEC's QBs

Athlon Sports ranks 2014's QBs.

http://athlonsports.com/college-foot...rterbacks-2014

Marshall ranked #1, DT ranked 6th.

MWard 04-21-2014 12:36 AM

Re: Athlon Ranks the SEC's QBs

Interesting, Thompson has beat more season ending ranked teams than 2-5 combined.

Goofyboy 04-21-2014 12:46 AM

A top-performing OL and a stable of good RB's boosts any quarterback's performance. Thompson may get the benefit of both this year. A&M may be a good start, though their defense hasn't been the star of their show.

CockyInGA 04-21-2014 09:02 AM

DT will finish as the best QB in the SEC this year. The showdown with Auburn vs. Marshall is going to be epic.

treys1986 04-21-2014 09:22 AM

Kind of surprised Marshall is ranked that high. I never tabbed him as a great QB. He missed several wide open throws in the National Championship game that would have been touchdowns.

He's a great athlete and is perfect for that system they run...however as far as a true QB, that ranking surprises me.

AtlGAMECOCK 04-21-2014 09:54 AM

I wouldn't tab Marshall as #1 , I saw him miss a lot of throws in the bcs champ game. If he was a better passer fsu would not have won. He missed a lot of passes in the 2nd half when they could have blown that game open and put fsu on their heels. fsu saw that he wasn't accurate enough to beat them and they took advantage of it.

PageUSC 04-21-2014 10:15 AM

I'd take Prescott over any QB in the SEC right now hands down. He is the real deal.

Cockypantherfan 04-21-2014 10:18 AM

The crop of QBs in the SEC in general is a little weak this year. DT has all the tools in place to have a big year, just has to go out there and get it done.

Latt7more 04-21-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4139716)
I'd take Prescott over any QB in the SEC right now hands down. He is the real deal.

:rotfl:

uscGRAD04 04-21-2014 10:42 AM

To be expected really with all the seasoned QB's gone. A lot of new faces in the SEC this year at QB. I didn't realize LSU might have a true freshman at QB. I just assumed that Anthony Jennings would've taken over. I guess he didn't win the spot.

PageUSC 04-21-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latt7more (Post 4139721)
:rotfl:

Nice substance in your post. No input?

Prescott is the best passing and running threat (minus Marshall) in the SEC right now. Wait til you see the numbers he puts up this year. He took over as starter last year and shredded teams including us on a lot of drives. Kid is a player. You obviously haven't watched him play

Thenardier 04-21-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treys1986 (Post 4139694)
Kind of surprised Marshall is ranked that high. I never tabbed him as a great QB. He missed several wide open throws in the National Championship game that would have been touchdowns.

He's a great athlete and is perfect for that system they run...however as far as a true QB, that ranking surprises me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK (Post 4139707)
I wouldn't tab Marshall as #1 , I saw him miss a lot of throws in the bcs champ game. If he was a better passer fsu would not have won. He missed a lot of passes in the 2nd half when they could have blown that game open and put fsu on their heels. fsu saw that he wasn't accurate enough to beat them and they took advantage of it.

Y'all need to hit up YouTube and watch Auburn's A-day game footage. It took him a couple plays to settle down, but you can tell he's improved by leaps and bounds over the offseason. Also helps he'll have one of the deeper WR corps in the SEC doesn't hurt.

Luke Skycocker 04-21-2014 12:08 PM

Wow, there are a lot of pretty mediocre to crappy QBs in the SEC this year

Cockypantherfan 04-21-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4139774)
Wow, there are a lot of pretty mediocre to crappy QBs in the SEC this year

I agree with you... on paper at least.

B-G 04-21-2014 12:44 PM

Marshall is best for that system.

You don't need to be a professional talent to run that offense well.

Latt7more 04-21-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4139728)

Prescott is the best passing and running threat (minus Marshall) in the SEC right now. Wait til you see the numbers he puts up this year. He took over as starter last year and shredded teams including us on a lot of drives. Kid is a player. You obviously haven't watched him play

I watched him throw 3 ints against us and zero touchdowns. Not sure where he "shredded" anybody.:lol:

MWard 04-21-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4139747)
Y'all need to hit up YouTube and watch Auburn's A-day game footage. It took him a couple plays to settle down, but you can tell he's improved by leaps and bounds over the offseason. Also helps he'll have one of the deeper WR corps in the SEC doesn't hurt.

I thought Alabama called their spring game A-Day?

PageUSC 04-21-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latt7more (Post 4139805)
I watched him throw 3 ints against us and zero touchdowns. Not sure where he "shredded" anybody.:lol:

He shredded us on the ground that game averaging over 5 ypc with 2 TDs. Also threw for well over 200 yards. Yea the turnovers helped us win the game but if you remember they moved the ball with ease on us. Again appears you did not watch the game.

Also he threw for almost 2000 yards on the season with 10 TDs and ran for over 800 with 13 TDs on the ground!! In only 11 games.

You obviously didn't watch the kid play. He is the best rushing QB in the league slightly behind Marahall and he is a much improved passer and better than Marahall in that respect.

97srad750 04-21-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4139728)

We all watched him play us last year. He was an average QB, with good mobility. He certainly didn't shred us.

I think he'll improve, but I doubt he'll be the best QB in the conference. He has a nice skillset though.

PageUSC 04-21-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97srad750 (Post 4139897)
We all watched him play us last year. He was an average QB, with good mobility. He certainly didn't shred us.

I think he'll improve, but I doubt he'll be the best QB in the conference. He has a nice skillset though.

Not talking about just our game. He put up crazy rushing numbers and will only improve in Mullen's O this year. He'll put up the best QB numbers in the conference this year besides Marshall in that system.