CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Game of Thrones Season 4 (If you have read the books) (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206008)

GregoryHouse 04-21-2014 07:13 PM

Game of Thrones Season 4 (If you have read the books)

Caution: there be spoilers ahead

Comment to your heart's content but if you read below this post, you have already read all of the available books and already know that Tommen marries Arya and unites the Kingdom with Tyrion taking over Castle Rock and Brienne joining the King's Guard and Daneary's ruling Winterfell and lands North of the wall and...

GregoryHouse 04-21-2014 07:32 PM

Re: Game of Thrones Season 4 (If you have read the books)

So...Jaimie raping Cersei....did not see that one coming...

johnnyb 04-22-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4140082)
Caution: there be spoilers ahead

Comment to your heart's content but if you read below this post, you have already read all of the available books and already know that Tommen marries Arya and unites the Kingdom with Tyrion taking over Castle Rock and Brienne joining the King's Guard and Daneary's ruling Winterfell and lands North of the wall and...

:-x

Biocockanics 04-22-2014 12:40 PM

lol

Acockolypse Now 04-22-2014 12:52 PM

Odd, since it didn't happen in the books. It also takes away from Jamie's redemption arc in the books.

theo_robbins 04-22-2014 01:01 PM

Interview with the director said the scene was supposed to be "consensual at the end". Ladies: do not go on a date with the director

CarolinaBand 04-22-2014 05:44 PM

Episode 8 of this season is titled "The Mountain and the Viper" and I don't think I could be any happier to watch that.

Regalcock 04-22-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaBand (Post 4140743)
Episode 8 of this season is titled "The Mountain and the Viper" and I don't think I could be any happier to watch that.

That sounds like a great episode!

johnnyb 04-22-2014 06:21 PM

in all seriousness, I do wonder how detailed of an outline Martin has given them for the final "two" unwritten books..because while not exact, the first few seasons have stayed fairly close to the books. I only see maybe one more book coming out in the next 3 years or so, and that would still leave the final season to be "written" by HBO's writers instead of him...

GregoryHouse 04-22-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb (Post 4140774)
in all seriousness, I do wonder how detailed of an outline Martin has given them for the final "two" unwritten books..because while not exact, the first few seasons have stayed fairly close to the books. I only see maybe one more book coming out in the next 3 years or so, and that would still leave the final season to be "written" by HBO's writers instead of him...

It depends on whether they will also break the remaining books up into multiple seasons per each book.

johnnyb 04-22-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4140802)
It depends on whether they will also break the remaining books up into multiple seasons per each book.

have they done that yet? its been a while since I read the books, but I was thinking it was going 1 season per book so far

Biocockanics 04-22-2014 06:53 PM

It was through season 2...then it jumped forward

johnnyb 04-22-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4140813)
It was through season 2...then it jumped forward

it was what? pretty close to the books?

GregoryHouse 04-22-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb (Post 4140810)
have they done that yet? its been a while since I read the books, but I was thinking it was going 1 season per book so far

Season 3 and Season 4 are from one book, for the most part, A Storm of Swords. The Red Wedding, the purple wedding, the death of the Mountain, the death of Tywin, the death of Shae, Bronn's betrayal, Littlefinger's stand at the Eyrie, Mance's assault on the Wall...all of that crap takes place in the book

Frankly, I do not see how they will pack all of that into this season

Biocockanics 05-12-2014 02:09 PM

SO...I"m thinking this...long potential spoiler theories:

You've been warned, conspiracy spoilers below.

The "better" Lannister children are Targaryan bastards--Lady Joanna and Aerys (Mad King)

Jaime and Cersie are Aery's children, as Baristan Slemy tells Dany in DwD:
"Prince Aerys . . . as a youth, he was taken with a certain lady of Casterly Rock, a cousin of Tywin Lannister. When she and Tywin wed, your father drank too much wine at the wedding feast and was heard to say that it was a great pity that the lord’s right to the first night had been abolished. A drunken jape, no more, but Tywin Lannister was not a man to forget such words, or the . . . the liberties your father took during the bedding."

Jon Snow is Rhaegars & Lyanna's son...Lyanna died in labor...
Tyrion is Tywin and Lady Joannas son...Joanna died in labor...
Daenery's is the Mad King and Rhaella's daughter...Rhaella died in labor

Tyrion is the only TRUE Lannister: Remember Tywin telling Tyrion:
"The only reason you still draw breath, is because i could not prove that you were no son of mine, thus forcing me to watch you grow up, waddling around like some mummer, making a fool of yourself, with the proud Lion emblazoned on your Tunic."
--Makes Tywn the ultimate tragic character.

3 dragons--the prophecies speak of Tyrion having 2 heads...WARGING not just riding!
Rhaegal--named for her brother Rhaegar--[/i]for Jon Snow, his son.
Drogon--largest and most vicious--for Tyrion--"A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all"
Viserys--Dany's dragon.

Stonecoldcock 05-12-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4140474)
Odd, since it didn't happen in the books. It also takes away from Jamie's redemption arc in the books.

It did happen in the books, almost exactly like in the show. It seemed a less rapey in the books when I first read it, but if you go back and read it, she starts out by telling him no, to stop, and all that, and then kind of gets into it, just like on the show. Let's put it this way, in the books it seemed less rapey the first read, and more rapey the second, and the show seemed more rapey the first watch and less rapey the second.

Biocockanics 05-13-2014 04:22 PM

In reference to:
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4156513)
Peter Dinklage won himself an award with the last episode.

from the other thread

I can't wait to his next few actions. I imagine those will be even better.

GregoryHouse 05-13-2014 06:53 PM

So if I remember, Oberon fights the Mountain, correct?

I remember the Pince fighting for Tyrion.

Also, If this is accurate I guess it will be a couple of episodes before they get to that and they will have to show the Mountain doing something terrifying just so people remember him.

Next week's episode will like spend much of the time in the Eyrie and in the North

cock13 05-13-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4156652)
So if I remember, Oberon fights the Mountain, correct?

I remember the Pince fighting for Tyrion.

Also, If this is accurate I guess it will be a couple of episodes before they get to that and they will have to show the Mountain doing something terrifying just so people remember him.

Next week's episode will like spend much of the time in the Eyrie and in the North

Next episode shows The Mountain impaling some common folk. Episode 8 is called 'The Red Viper and the Mountain', so I assume the duel takes place then.

EELLLLLLLLIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

GamecockNeal 05-14-2014 11:41 PM

There have been some interesting deviations from the book. Some have been minor and some not so. I dont think Bran and his crew being captured was much of anything or anything more than a way to get them in this season. Here are some other things that come off the top of my head.

1)The hound and Arya. I get that they are popular together but he was really injured, possibly even dead, after the fight in the tavern. I suspect hell be injured at the end of the season somehow and that will get Arya on her way.
2) I found it interesting how Shae testified. In the book, it came across differently. The show had her being tugged around on strings. In the book, it seems she was just doing it to better herself since she realized Tyrion was going to die bc of this court and just wanted to save herself and make a good life.
3) Yara coming to save Then at the Dreadfort. I dont think this will be a big deal though because after Reek becomes Theon again and gets the other castle back to Ramsey, Yara will return and be captured, thus getting her to Winterfell later.
4) I like Stannis. However, the show makes him so weak. They make him seem like he cant make any decisions on his own and only listens to the Red Priestess. In the book, he thinks for himself and is much smarter. I think this is the reason so many people dont like him on the show.

I love the books and am actually going to reread the last one over my vacation next week.