CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Toyota Tundra (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206010)

IslandCock 04-21-2014 08:56 PM

Toyota Tundra

Been researching a new Tundra for a few months. Curious to hear from those that have one and how you like it. Would you buy it again? What options do you enjoy or wish you'd have bought?

I want a sunroof and the full rear roll down window, so I have to get the Crew Cab (like the DC better) in either the Limited or Platinum trim.

I've loved my Tacoma so want to stay loyal to Toyota - and know the mpg will suck - but want something bigger.

roosterdude21 04-21-2014 09:02 PM

Re: Toyota Tundra

I saw one today and the back glass rolls all the way down like on the 4runner. I found that to be pretty sweet.

RGHoskins 04-21-2014 09:02 PM

A buddy has a 12 Platinum and he loves it. Ridden in it a couple times and it's very nice.

IslandCock 04-21-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosterdude21 (Post 4140140)
I saw one today and the back glass rolls all the way down like on the 4runner. I found that to be pretty sweet.

Yea, agreed that is nice. I don't use AC so think I'll dig that feature. They only offer it on the Crew Cab which I don't really need - wish that was an option on the Double Cab.

And it's nice that on the Tundra the exhaust won't come right back into the cab like a 4-runner, ha.

rrsandersjr 04-21-2014 10:32 PM

I've got an 06 crew cab...I bought it for a work truck and did not get any of the extras. It drove so good that my wife and I would drive it instead of her Volvo...had I known that we would use it as much as we did, I would have had more options, namely a sun roof and leather seats. I have enjoyed the power rear window. I've got 144,000 miles and have had no troubles other than normal wear and tear. I'd definitely buy another and will as soon as I get finished paying college tuition.

DBjr 04-21-2014 11:20 PM

IMO,Toyota IS the best vehicle made. Bar none......No matter how much the gov. tries to discredit them and find ways to fine them for this and that they are still and will always be the most reliable,best selling in the world. I would have nothing else. IF I did it would be a Suburu

behindenemylines 04-22-2014 09:31 AM

My only drawback is the ridiculous gas mileage...if that is not a deal breaker then by all means ENJOY...those trucks are SICK!

markp_vip 04-22-2014 10:36 AM

I have a 2006 Tundra Double Cab with about 130,000 miles on it. Great truck hasn't given me any trouble. I had an F-150 before and it was one problem after the next with it. Very pleased with the switch over to the Tundra.

Tolley 04-22-2014 12:25 PM

I have a 2007 Tundra with 126,000 on it. No issues whatsoever. I do wish I would've gotten a 4WD model though. My wife just got a 2014 4 Runner Limited, that thing is nice!!
Would definitely recommend the Tundra.

HeadCockFan 04-22-2014 12:45 PM

I was thinking of DIY converting my corolla into a truck. Any suggestions?

markp_vip 04-22-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadCockFan (Post 4140470)
I was thinking of DIY converting my corolla into a truck. Any suggestions?

Easy DIY Instructions for Converting Corolla into Tundra.
1. Place ad on craigslist. Corolla for sale by owner.
2. Answer calls from ad.
3. Give test drive.
4. Sell Corolla to highest bidder.
5. Find Tundra for sale.
6. Subtract money from Coralla sale from price of Tundra.
7. If number in number 6 is greater than 0 then withdraw number from 6 from bank account or find other cash or financing to equal number in #6.
8. Purchase Tundra.

IMACOCK 04-22-2014 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2013 CrewMax SR5. It has the rear window that rolls completely down (I do like that and use it all the time). Mine has a backup camera on the rear view mirror and the backup sensors. I also have step rails and spray-in bedliner. (Sorry the pic is so big)

FanofCarolina1 04-22-2014 02:01 PM

I drive a 2008 and love it. It has the smaller 4.7 but is peppier than the 5.3 my avalanche had. Gas mileage is worse but I think its due to the 5 speed tranny unlike the 5.7 which has the 6 speed tranny. Best truck i have owned hands down

gamecock88 04-22-2014 03:28 PM

Can't speak for the Tundra but I can for Toyota. I've had several and recently switched my company car from the Jeep GC Limited(Hemi) to the 2014 4Runner Limited (6cyl). Toyota beats the jeep hands down for quality. They will for reliability as well. For gas mileage, try to look at the total cost to own and not just fuel costs. Maintenance, etc. You can negotiate the extended warranty (through Toyota Care) to a full 100k no deductible. Also, on most of their cars in this price range, you will get the 2 and possibly 3 year "complimentary" maintenance program. I purchased the 4Runner in Spartanburg and get 3 years worth of oil changes and tire rotations, each trip gets you a car wash and tank of gas. They also will repair dings and scratches with this and repair or replace any interior stained or broken parts. I've used them to do that already with a leather seat. Toyota looks at their service department as an added source of revenue and others look at it as a necessity regardless of what they advertise. Honda is doing the same. Good luck but you won't regret the Yoda.

Garnet Devil 04-22-2014 04:31 PM

The truck is bad to the bone. I drive an 08 double cab 4 by with the 5.7. 165k and no problems. Drove a 2000 before that. The truck has very tight steering which I like over the domestics. The gas is not good but nothing is great in the full size line. My buddy just traded his 08 for a Chevy and wants his toy back. My wife just got the 14 crew max (I know, hold the redneck jokes, we do have farm animals though and she definitely doesn't look right in that big truck and yes I am pissed that hers is nicer than mine). I have the TRD package which I have always liked. She did not get that package but got a package with the 20 inch black mammoth rims and bfg tires with the black step tubes. It looks pretty sweet. I am pretty sure you don't have to get the platinum to get the sunroof. The back up camera is pretty sweet and standard now. I was in the business right out of college and still have a very good friend in management in Charleston. He's a good country boy and EASY to talk to if you want his information. All dealers pay the same for the vehicles so its really up to who you feel comfortable with and who will get you the exact truck you want. It usually can be located and traded for in days unless it is a special order. I already have my new one priced! I won't drive anything else. Hope this helps.

ccured 04-22-2014 05:22 PM

Toyota's service department is the best hands down.

DBjr 04-22-2014 05:34 PM

Dave Edwards in Spartanburg has been very good to us and their service dept and waiting area is certainly something to behold if you've never been there............jmo

TaterHater1984 04-23-2014 01:15 AM

'02 Tundra here. Over 250,000 miles and I've never had to do a thing to it other than change the oil and tires. The engine still runs like its brand new. Hands down one of the best trucks you can buy and I plan on getting another one.

Thenardier 04-23-2014 01:33 AM

My mom still has her '94 Forerunner. Uses it to go to the gym and near by errands, never had a problem with it. It rides like a tank. Though, any turn over 15 mph feels as though it'll tip over.