CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sunday college football games (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206029)

uscgamecocks88 04-22-2014 05:31 PM

Sunday college football games

On the way home today, they were talking about how on the radio that the SECN will experiment with Sunday night games to compete with nfl games. Thoughts on this?

B-G 04-22-2014 05:33 PM

Re: Sunday college football games

Don't think they will compete.

Especially if against larger markets.

Now it was competing against teams like Tampa Bay, Carolina or Jacksonville (one of their Sunday night games). Yea they could compete.

Gyle41386 04-22-2014 06:02 PM

^Yeah. I think the college games would get crushed, because I don't remember the NFL featuring a whole lot of bad match-ups on Sunday night. The Sunday night game typically features teams (or at least one, anyway) that a whole lot of people want to see.

markp_vip 04-22-2014 06:20 PM

On the one hand I like it in case the Sunday NFL game is weak. On the other hand, I would hate to be in a situation where the Gamecocks and Saints were playing at the same time.

Thenardier 04-22-2014 06:25 PM

Bad bad bad idea.

B-G 04-22-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyle41386 (Post 4140751)
^Yeah. I think the college games would get crushed, because I don't remember the NFL featuring a whole lot of bad match-ups on Sunday night. The Sunday night game typically features teams (or at least one, anyway) that a whole lot of people want to see.

The Sunday games are flexed too.

Unlike Monday night where the game is set in stone, the Sunday night game can change if it's a bad matchup. (Which the league has done in the past)

1SCFanInPAUntilNow 04-22-2014 06:55 PM

Horrible idea! Sunday night is the game of the week for the NFL. I really hope they aren't that stupid.

MisterClowney 04-22-2014 07:25 PM

Horrible idea. I could see Friday night games coming way before Sunday night games.

CockyInGA 04-22-2014 07:41 PM

Why the hell would anyone even think it's necessary to compete against the NFL?

3MTA3 04-22-2014 07:55 PM

If a premiere SEC matchup were featured on a Sunday night it would destroy a mid-tier NFL game.

Lalli25 04-22-2014 08:23 PM

I don't like this idea. I don't care if it could do better or not against the NFL game, I just don't see how doing this makes sense. What do they gain from this move?

A. Pilgrim 04-22-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4140900)
I don't like this idea. I don't care if it could do better or not against the NFL game, I just don't see how doing this makes sense. What do they gain from this move?

not competing against any other college games?

M.C. 04-22-2014 08:30 PM

it would take alabama vs auburn or Lsu vs alabama

to even have a chance at competing

A. Pilgrim 04-22-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4140910)
it would take alabama vs auburn or Lsu vs alabama

to even have a chance at competing

gi

Lalli25 04-22-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4140904)
not competing against any other college games?

Yet now you'll compete against the NFL. Personally, I just hate late night Sunday games since I have to get up at 5am for work.

A. Pilgrim 04-22-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4140912)
Yet now you'll compete against the NFL. Personally, I just hate late night Sunday games since I have to get up at 5am for work.

its all about which markets you're trying to reach...

Example...NY Giants v. Minnesota Vikings was NEVER going to be a college market, regardless of when the game is played...

JaxcockFL 04-22-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4140870)
If a premiere SEC matchup were featured on a Sunday night it would destroy a mid-tier NFL game.

Difficult to determine without actually going ahead with it, but CBS said they averaged 18MM viewers for it's games, while NBC averaged 21.7MM viewers for it's games. (NFL) That's average.

IN 2013, CBS 3 top SEC games had 11.9, 13.7, 13.8 MM viewers. That's top 3.

Personally, I think that folks in the west, Midwest and NE will watch a mid level NFL game before a top level SEC game, but that is nothing more than speculation on my part.

Seems we continue to make the term "Student Athlete" more and more of a joke with each passing year, though.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/08/nfl-tv...-fox-playoffs/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_on_CBS#TV_Ratings

Hate to use wiki as a source, but....

A. Pilgrim 04-22-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxcockFL (Post 4140920)
Difficult to determine without actually going ahead with it, but CBS said they averaged 18MM viewers for it's games, while NBC averaged 21.7MM viewers for it's games. (NFL) That's average.

IN 2013, CBS 3 top SEC games had 11.9, 13.7, 13.8 MM viewers. That's top 3.

Personally, I think that folks in the west, Midwest and NE will watch a mid level NFL game before a top level SEC game, but that is nothing more than speculation on my part.

Seems we continue to make the term "Student Athlete" more and more of a joke with each passing year, though.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/08/nfl-tv...-fox-playoffs/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_on_CBS#TV_Ratings

Hate to use wiki as a source, but....

my point was- i'm not convinced a majority of those viewers of a northern NFL matchup would watch an SEC matchup regardless

so, that's what I meant was it being all about markets...if you're not competing for the same market and all.

SanAntonioCock 04-22-2014 09:02 PM

Don't see it happening. ESPN is dependent on staying in the NFL 's good graces. It was announced today that ESPN will start televising a wild card playoff game.

JaxcockFL 04-22-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4140935)
my point was- i'm not convinced a majority of those viewers of a northern NFL matchup would watch an SEC matchup regardless

so, that's what I meant was it being all about markets...if you're not competing for the same market and all.

Ok. I wasn't replying to your post which is why I quoted someone else and replied to them about their point.