CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Clemson Georgia Game to be Broadcast on SEC Network? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206057)

yazoo 04-23-2014 05:26 PM

Clemson Georgia Game to be Broadcast on SEC Network?

The article linked here,
WILL THE SEC NETWORK CARRY CLEMSON AT GEORGIA?, strongly suggests that the Clemson Georgia game will be carried by the SEC Network.

Knowing how much Clempson fans have hyped this up, and how much they hate the SEC, including our "SEC SEC" chants we rain down on them annually at the conclusion of our games, confusing them mightily, how do you think this ESPN call would sit with the Clempson fanbase?

Will they be too motivated by their irrational hatred of the SEC to consider paying the extra cost to subscribe to the SEC Network? Or, will they lobby to have Charter pick up the Network so they can watch the game in Greenville? What kind of howls will we hear from the clempson Upstate media knot-heads if this comes to fruition.

To me, this is hilarious. I hope ESPN and the SEC Network pick up the game just to laugh at all the drama I anticipate we will see in the Upstate. I am sorry for you guys under Time Warner, Charter, Direct, etc, but this is worth it.

IMACOCK 04-23-2014 05:38 PM

Re: Clemson Georgia Game to be Broadcast on SEC Network?

I'm pretty sure you'll hear things like: "We might as well be an SEC team since we're on their network", "The SECN needs teams like us to make their channel worth watching" or "See, we are an SEC team".

Thenardier 04-23-2014 05:41 PM

The only SEC-like team outside the SEC is Florida State. Clemson can keep dreaming.

Lalli25 04-23-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMACOCK (Post 4141761)
I'm pretty sure you'll hear things like: "We might as well be an SEC team since we're on their network", "The SECN needs teams like us to make their channel worth watching" or "See, we are an SEC team".

This is pretty much how I see it going.

MisterClowney 04-23-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMACOCK (Post 4141761)

Ouch. I was excited that this would happen, but now that you put it that way it's got me thinking differently.

HelleraisingCock 04-23-2014 06:33 PM

Demand your carrier to pick up the SEC Network

http://www.getsecnetwork.com/#DemandBar

I am sure its been posted somewhere else but it seems appropriate here.

uscgamecocks88 04-23-2014 09:04 PM

I'll be more excited about the SEC network when/if time warner picks it up

jellafever 04-23-2014 09:16 PM

Please, please, please put Jesse Palmer on the call. I know how much he loves Clemson.

GarnetSwarm1990 04-23-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4141763)
The only SEC-like team outside the SEC is Florida State. Clemson can keep dreaming.

Dreaming isn't the word I'd use. More like delusional. They see stuff that doesn't exists all the time like them "beating themselves". lol

GarnetSwarm1990 04-23-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellafever (Post 4141988)
Please, please, please put Jesse Palmer on the call. I know how much he loves Clemson.

I could watch your sig for hours. Such a great play by Marzilli.

Karl Childers 04-23-2014 11:18 PM

Well they do play in the SEC-NORTH!:wink:

IMACOCK 04-24-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterClowney (Post 4141793)
Ouch. I was excited that this would happen, but now that you put it that way it's got me thinking differently.

Best-case scenario is that we hear comments like this all the way up until game time, then, it all comes crashing down.

3MTA3 04-25-2014 09:04 AM

Does anyone actually think Clemson fans will threaten to ditch their providers for one game? They'll likely just go to a friend's place that has U-Verse / Dish, or to a bar to watch it. No way Clemson fans make a switch just to get the SEC Network.

trapper82 04-25-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4143202)
Does anyone actually think Clemson fans will threaten to ditch their providers for one game? They'll likely just go to a friend's place that has U-Verse / Dish, or to a bar to watch it. No way Clemson fans make a switch just to get the SEC Network.

This is assuming they have to ditch their providers. Here are the 10 largest cable, satellite, and telco providers:

Comcast, DIRECTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter Communications, Verizon FiOS, Bright House Networks and AT&T U-Verse

The Big 10 network is available through all 10 of these, and regionally has agreements with more than 300 providers. It has been in existence for about, oh 4 years or so?

Now the SEC and ESPN are just really starting the full court press on encouraging people to let their providers know they want this coverage. ESPN has been at this awhile, and they are heavily invested in this venture. The SEC agreement differs from the Big 10 and the other networks in a few key ways. First of all, for the SEC, its all profit. The SEC did not have to invest in the infrastructure like the Big 10 network did. ESPN is footing the bill from an infrastructure standpoint. Because of this, and the fact that the SEC games get MUCH bigger draws than Big 10 games right now, they are probably asking for more than other conference networks are bringing in and possibly significant amounts more. The providers, however, are wanting to go closer to what they shell out for the other conference networks. The dominoes will start falling and then you'll see a pretty big move to get it, I think. Time Warner, for example, can't afford NOT to have it in my opinion. Once you get some of the top 10 providers signing up then the others won't want to be left out.

3MTA3 04-25-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4143215)
This is assuming they have to ditch their providers. Here are the 10 largest cable, satellite, and telco providers:

Comcast, DIRECTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter Communications, Verizon FiOS, Bright House Networks and AT&T U-Verse

The Big 10 network is available through all 10 of these, and regionally has agreements with more than 300 providers. It has been in existence for about, oh 4 years or so?

Now the SEC and ESPN are just really starting the full court press on encouraging people to let their providers know they want this coverage. ESPN has been at this awhile, and they are heavily invested in this venture. The SEC agreement differs from the Big 10 and the other networks in a few key ways. First of all, for the SEC, its all profit. The SEC did not have to invest in the infrastructure like the Big 10 network did. Because of this, and the fact that the SEC games get MUCH bigger draws than Big 10 games right now, they are probably asking for me. The providers, however, are wanting to go closer to what they shell out for the other conference networks. The dominoes will start falling and then you'll see a pretty big move to get it, I think. Time Warner, for example, can't afford NOT to have it in my opinion. Once you get some of the top 10 providers signing up then the others won't want to be left out.

Oh, I agree...I should have prefaced my previous post to point out that it was based on a 'worst case scenario' projection.