CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Worse Hire Brad Scott or Lane Kiffen (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206081)

snruter amabon 04-24-2014 02:19 PM

Worse Hire Brad Scott or Lane Kiffen

The Tennessee bowl thread got me thinking, which hire was worse in the long run the South Carolina Fat Brad hire or the Tennessee Lame Kitten hire? I know we didn't have as far to fall as Tennessee at the time but which do you folks think is worse in hindsight?

Thenardier 04-24-2014 02:24 PM

Re: Worse Hire Brad Scott or Lane Kiffen

Yes

jrussjr 04-24-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snruter amabon (Post 4142596)
The Tennessee bowl thread got me thinking, which hire was worse in the long run the South Carolina Fat Brad hire or the Tennessee Lame Kitten hire? I know we didn't have as far to fall as Tennessee at the time but which do you folks think is worse in hindsight?

Who was the coach that got our first ever Bowl win? I can't seem to recall, maybe you know? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

BTW....Kiffen!!!!

snruter amabon 04-24-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussjr (Post 4142605)
Who was the coach that got our first ever Bowl win? I can't seem to recall, maybe you know? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

BTW....Kiffen!!!!

Odd question.

snruter amabon 04-24-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussjr (Post 4142605)

BTW....Kiffen!!!!

The reason for the comparison is the relative time it took us to rebuild & actually get much better & the projected time it will take Tennessee to do the same. We had the 0-21 debacle with Scott & a depletion of talent that Holtz began to rebuild & ultimately what SOS has been able to do.

Roosterboy 04-24-2014 02:38 PM

Brad Scott.
UT is already showing signs of recovery before Jones' second season (got a lot of good, young pieces to build around).

One could argue we recovered by our second year, but UT didn't go 0-21...they kicked Kiffin to the curb well before the program trainwrecked.

jrussjr 04-24-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4142612)
Brad Scott.
UT is already showing signs of recovery before Jones' second season (got a lot of good, young pieces to build around).

One could argue we recovered by our second year, but UT didn't go 0-21...they kicked Kiffin to the curb well before the program trainwrecked.

UT kicked Kiffy to the curb???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spareparts 04-24-2014 02:45 PM

Brad.

The Kiffin fiasco was actually something that appeared to work in UT's favor over time. Look at them in 2 years.

snruter amabon 04-24-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4142622)
Brad.

The Kiffin fiasco was actually something that appeared to work in UT's favor over time. Look at them in 2 years.

See I agree, I think the Brad Scott hire hurt us worse as it took us more time to recuperate than it appears it is taking Tennessee, but when you pair the Kiffen hire with the Dooley hire and the fact that UT is likely still at least two more years if not one more hire away from recovering I start to waver.

There is also the bad money management issue at Tennessee.

ReadR00ster 04-24-2014 02:49 PM

Kiffen, Brad was actually pretty good at first. Kiffen loses everywhere he goes. He just didn't stay in Tennessee long enough to get run out, he dumped his mess on Dooley and Jones.

jrussjr 04-24-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4142629)
Kiffen, Brad was actually pretty good at first. Kiffen loses everywhere he goes. He just didn't stay in Tennessee long enough to get run out, he dumped his mess on Dooley and Jones.

I'm with you...Kiffen dumped his mess...on UT, they did't dump him. Brad won the Carquest bowl back in '95, something we ain't never did. True, the 0-21 stint started with Brad but he did accomplish a positive "first time feat" during his tenure.

OldPat 04-24-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4142629)

Seems I'm agreeing a lot with R00ster these days. Second childhood? Senility?? Better get myself checked out...LOL.

M.C. 04-24-2014 03:12 PM

sparky woods

snruter amabon 04-24-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4142650)
sparky woods

See, I was going to go all the way back to Sparky. The reason I didn't is due to Joining the SEC under his watch, that would have been a great task for just about any mid level coach to conquer. Scott depleted the talent and left the cupboard really bare for Holtz.

Regalcock 04-24-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4142612)
Brad Scott.

They were in love with him. He left them high and dry after the relationship was consummated.

HUGEGARNETCOCK 04-24-2014 03:55 PM

Brad Scott.

Tennessee wasn't bad under Lane , heck how could they be he never even unpacked his suitcase.

ReadR00ster 04-24-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK (Post 4142703)
Brad Scott.

Tennessee wasn't bad under Lane , heck how could they be he never even unpacked his suitcase.

They weren't "bad" under Lane because it's Tennessee and Rome isn't destroyed in day. Also, he at least brought his dad with him. However, I think the seeds of destruction were already sowed. And then they hired another sorry coach who took all the blame, but with either Kiffin or Dooley, the downfall was inevitable.

snruter amabon 04-24-2014 04:19 PM

I guess one of the things I was thinking was actually about the Hire itself, maybe not even the impact on the team........ given the option of only these two coaches with past history as a gauge, who would you hire today?

ReadR00ster 04-24-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snruter amabon (Post 4142719)
I guess one of the things I was thinking was actually about the Hire itself, maybe not even the impact on the team........ given the option of only these two coaches with past history as a gauge, who would you hire today?

I wouldn't touch either of them with a ten-foot pole.

2000grad 04-24-2014 04:43 PM

I thought it might be between Horn and Scott