CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Hog Hunting Advice (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206162)

GapoGamecock51 04-28-2014 03:52 PM

Hog Hunting Advice

I have a nephew who wants to do some hunting, and the most accessible form of hunting he can partake in is hog hunting...I am well aware of the legal status of hogs as it concerns harvesting an animal, as I am aware of the danger of killing one...I am simply asking for anyone and everyone's advice on how best to go about this....Here are the relevant facts of my situation.

1. My nephew is old enough to hunt.

2. We have no elevated blind and do not own or have access to at least 2 deer stands to sit in.

3. He does have a high powered rifle (30-06) with a scope that he has sighted in.

4. I have googled various attractants for wild hogs, but was wondering what you all think works best for the hogs we have here in South Carolina.

5. In regards to my nephews safety....That is my highest priority, and I will likely have access to a .45acp handgun to make sure the animal is properly dispatched and of no threat as well as a high powered rifle (.243) both owned by someone who is an excellent shot, if the need arises.

6. We have access to some private property where the owner has traps set out, but has yet to catch anything....Should the traps be removed?

As it relates to concealment, could you camouflage a truck and shoot from the bed of the truck, or with a high powered rifle is that a bad idea (break the trucks windows.)

Essentially, any and all advice is welcomed.

Gapo

COCKDIESEL 04-28-2014 04:07 PM

Re: Hog Hunting Advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by GapoGamecock51 (Post 4145278)
I have a nephew who wants to do some hunting, and the most accessible form of hunting he can partake in is hog hunting...I am well aware of the legal status of hogs as it concerns harvesting an animal, as I am aware of the danger of killing one...I am simply asking for anyone and everyone's advice on how best to go about this....Here are the relevant facts of my situation.

1. My nephew is old enough to hunt.

2. We have no elevated blind and do not own or have access to at least 2 deer stands to sit in.

3. He does have a high powered rifle (30-06) with a scope that he has sighted in.

4. I have googled various attractants for wild hogs, but was wondering what you all think works best for the hogs we have here in South Carolina.

5. In regards to my nephews safety....That is my highest priority, and I will likely have access to a .45acp handgun to make sure the animal is properly dispatched and of no threat as well as a high powered rifle (.243) both owned by someone who is an excellent shot, if the need arises.

6. We have access to some private property where the owner has traps set out, but has yet to catch anything....Should the traps be removed?

As it relates to concealment, could you camouflage a truck and shoot from the bed of the truck, or with a high powered rifle is that a bad idea (break the trucks windows.)

Essentially, any and all advice is welcomed.

Gapo

Some pics from the Cocky Babes usually draws out Hog.

etowngangsta 04-28-2014 04:12 PM

Make a ground blind big enough for both of you with tree branches and undergrowth from the surrounding area. Make sure the back drop covers your silhouette and wear dark colored clothes, preferably camo. Google ground blind.

When hunting from them ground be extra careful about what is behind the target area.

I wouldn't sit in a truck but people do kill them that way. I like to park at least a couple hundred yards away and walk to my stand.

Corn works really well. Put it 50 to 100 yds away from the ground blind. Bait the area a couple days before you hunt.

Don't worry about the traps. I just wouldn't hunt right beside them.

Good luck!

GapoGamecock51 04-28-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL (Post 4145295)
Some pics from the Cocky Babes usually draws out Hog.

I'll keep that in mind when I go hunting for Ozark Oompa-Loompa's.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gapo

GapoGamecock51 04-28-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etowngangsta (Post 4145300)
Make a ground blind big enough for both of you with tree branches and undergrowth from the surrounding area. Make sure the back drop covers your silhouette and wear dark colored clothes, preferably camo. Google ground blind.

When hunting from them ground be extra careful about what is behind the target area.

I wouldn't sit in a truck but people do kill them that way. I like to park at least a couple hundred yards away and walk to my stand.

Corn works really well. Put it 50 to 100 yds away from the ground blind. Bait the area a couple days before you hunt.

Don't worry about the traps. I just wouldn't hunt right beside them.

Good luck!

Well with the whole truck idea....I was thinking of basically making a blind out of the bed....And I am just wondering if we shot at a pig could the concussion potetially bust a window....We'd be using a .30-06 and/or a .243

Gapo

GapoGamecock51 04-28-2014 04:41 PM

I was also wondering what the preferred method of verifying the animal is dead? A second shot at long range or, a strong hand gun round at closer ranger?

Gapo

scargamecocks87 04-28-2014 04:55 PM

2 45s too the head at close range if it doesn't die from the initial rifle shot. As far as the traps and I swear by this, go to your local grocerie stores and buy the expired twinkles and little Debbie snack. Walmart usually keeps them on an expired shelf . It might sound crazy but it's fairly cheap and they eat that crap up like it's crack. We've never sat for hogs but that's mainly because our property is so infested with them that it isn't hard to ride around in a truck ( no loud exhaust) and find them munching in the road on corn piles/ twinkies.

Hog 04-28-2014 06:06 PM

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

SwampFox 04-28-2014 06:58 PM

A head shot will drop the pig like a rock. That is the quickest and most humane way to kill them.

ACPhilson 04-28-2014 09:29 PM

Hoggy is one of our favorite most esteemed posters on CT. Please don't kill him. You would make Smoovie very sad if you offed his kobeer buddy.

johnnyb 04-28-2014 10:06 PM

Rifle from a ground blind is a no-no unless there is a solid backstop behind what you are shooting (not just trees). Go with a "magnum" handgun or shotgun if you have to shoot "on the level". You can always pick up a couple of hundred dollar tree stands from Walmart or bass pro.

FlorenceCock 04-28-2014 10:30 PM

I have been shooting about 1 a week here recently. I inherited my house and land from my great uncle and he had planted about 20 peach trees about 75-100 yards from the house and I have some plumb trees about 50 yards away. Well I can see hogs out there eating all of the fallen fruit from my kitchen window so I go upstairs to my spare room/junk room and I have a little table and chair setup with a rest for my .308 Remington and I just raise the window and plunk them. I got a scare last year as I shot one and then these two Mexicans came running out of the trees with their hands up. They were there taking the peaches and they ran like Olympic sprinters to their vehicle so fast I could not catch them. I put up a game camera after that and they never returned. :lol:

scfan2001 04-29-2014 10:06 AM

There are some outfitters in the state that charge $250 per hog and a reasonable processing fee too. If you're not too familiar with hunting hogs, you could utilize one of their guides and pick up some pointers for future trips alone with your nephew. Good luck!

stiffolcock 04-29-2014 10:58 AM

dig a post hole , layer 6 inches of corn then sprinkle jello(strawberry) mix, repeat until level with ground. pour a gallon of water on it and wait 2 days. not sure hunting from the back of the truck is legal. make a ground blind elevated on a hill/outcropping and atleast 50 yards from bait hole. hunt early morning/late afternoon. if a sow with piglets shows up, kill her quickly, pick off piglets. after one or 2 dead hogs, they will move to night feeding to avoid you. The guy with the traps, design and use are his problem. we went through the same learning curve when we started.

stiffolcock 04-29-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlorenceCock (Post 4145471)
I have been shooting about 1 a week here recently. I inherited my house and land from my great uncle and he had planted about 20 peach trees about 75-100 yards from the house and I have some plumb trees about 50 yards away. Well I can see hogs out there eating all of the fallen fruit from my kitchen window so I go upstairs to my spare room/junk room and I have a little table and chair setup with a rest for my .308 Remington and I just raise the window and plunk them. I got a scare last year as I shot one and then these two Mexicans came running out of the trees with their hands up. They were there taking the peaches and they ran like Olympic sprinters to their vehicle so fast I could not catch them. I put up a game camera after that and they never returned. :lol:

that is what i shoot, great gun.
laughed my ass off.

smoovecock 04-29-2014 01:11 PM

All joke aside...Don't go to Arky and hunt a hawg until you really really know what you are doing...Their Hawgs over their are big enough to eat a semi truck...As far as Hawgy goes....CHOOT HIM....!!!!!...:shotgunc::shotgunc::shotgunc::woo: :woo:

cockypirate 04-29-2014 03:29 PM

Mostly we hog hunt with dogs. Let the tracking dog track the hog and when they bay him up send in the catch dog to hold the hog still long enough to go in and tie his feet together if you trying to catch them or stab the hog in the heart if you gonna kill it. But if you have a small kid deff do it from a truck or tree stand. ground blinds will work but if a hog knows you are there and feels threatened he will charge and a few sticks in front the ground blind wont stop him.