CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206180)

uscjeremynca 04-29-2014 04:04 PM

Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine

and the NBA will push for him to sell the team. They came down hard on him. See more info below.

Original post on this was deleted. However, most of us don't have access to the political forum and this is HUGE sports news and an incredible precedent set for major sports. It's worthy of discussion here.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...s-life-ban-nba

Woody7687 04-29-2014 04:16 PM

Re: Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine

Wow this was a setup by Magic Johnson to get a shot at buying the team. Another reason the NBA is a joke.

Nureye 04-29-2014 04:17 PM

Great move by Adam Silver. Way to:
http://www.glockforum.net/forum/atta...g-nip-bud1.jpg

Dropping the ban hammer like this is an impressive start to his career.

Gamecock303 04-29-2014 04:17 PM

I wonder what kind of punishment Larry Johnson is going to get for saying there should be an all black league

FearThethumbandDJ 04-29-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody7687 (Post 4145876)
Wow this was a setup by Magic Johnson to get a shot at buying the team. Another reason the NBA is a joke.

I thought the same thing, seems fishy he went after sterlings girl and then was one of the first to criticize on twitter. Then he magically wants to buy the team.

Cock Kool-Aid 04-29-2014 04:21 PM

I don't get it. I mean I would think the guy would have eventually had to step down and/or sell the franchise just because the players would boycott the franchise.

Obviously, his personal views are considered to be in poor taste in the U.S. in 2014 by a lot of people... but it seems like the NBA really went overboard on this one. I mean you're basically banning and fining an 80 year old man for being racist. WTF.

I mean, what's next? Is a disgruntled employee going to record a 70 year old owner saying he thinks homosexuality is a sin? This just seems kind of wrong.

myrtsmom 04-29-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody7687 (Post 4145876)

I'm so glad to hear that others are thinking this as well. I just think its a little too convenient that the man who wants to buy the team is the same man that was in the picture that started the whole discussion.

Nureye 04-29-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4145886)
I mean you're basically banning and fining an 80 year old man for being racist. WTF.

You're damn right they are.

Your age doesn't give you the right to act like a bigot, and get a pass.

Ahmad 04-29-2014 04:26 PM

Adam Silver is about to be the new Roger Goodell

crowcutta 04-29-2014 04:30 PM

lol@the magic conspiracy, i guess anything is possible but i seriously doubt magic would go through the trouble.

i was pleasantly shocked when i read the headline that he was banned for life, kudos to adam silver.

kick_ball 04-29-2014 04:32 PM

excellent move

3MTA3 04-29-2014 04:32 PM

In this situation, the NBA is 'essentially' his employer.

Sure, what he said was not illegal.
But employers often take actions against legal acts by their 'employees' due to its impact on their revenue.

That's exactly what happened here.

Big-Cock 04-29-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nureye (Post 4145890)
You're damn right they are.

Your age doesn't give you the right to act like a bigot, and get a pass.

Neither does your race!

3MTA3 04-29-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Cock (Post 4145902)
Neither does your race!

doubt anyone thinks it does

ReadR00ster 04-29-2014 04:36 PM

33 years and 2 billion dollars too late. The guy has very little life left to ban.

trapper82 04-29-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4145886)
I don't get it. I mean I would think the guy would have eventually had to step down and/or sell the franchise just because the players would boycott the franchise.

Obviously, his personal views are considered to be in poor taste in the U.S. in 2014 by a lot of people... but it seems like the NBA really went overboard on this one. I mean you're basically banning and fining an 80 year old man for being racist. WTF.

I mean, what's next? Is a disgruntled employee going to record a 70 year old owner saying he thinks homosexuality is a sin? This just seems kind of wrong.

It's really much simpler than this, it's just about the money. The NBA is a business, and they can't afford to keep him anymore. Players won't want to play for him, coaches won't want to coach for him, and numerous fans won't show up to the games. And all of this is due to his views being made public. You can argue that the way they were made public was wrong, but that is what they are, and it is detrimental to the league from a financial standpoint.

So the solution is simple, he can't be a part of it anymore. He is free to think whatever he wants, no one is throwing him in jail. But what he thinks can have consequences on who wants to associate with him, and in this case he is part of a business that requires sponsorships, fans and players, none of which want to be near him now.

trapper82 04-29-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4145905)
33 years and 2 billion dollars too late. The guy has very little life left to ban.

I am going to reference your 33 years here even though you probably aren't intending it this way. I hear ESPN say numerous times that the NBA should've done something sooner, why didn't they do something before when all these things were known, etc.

Well my question, which no one at ESPN has yet to answer, what did ESPN do about it? Some of it was publicly known, and we know ESPN can do investigative reporting? Where were any of the other news outlets? You can argue the NBA should have acted sooner but they are not alone in this, ESPN. The big networks largely ignored it because for a long time the Clippers were largely ignorable. They were so bad no one really cared.

tpep 04-29-2014 04:52 PM

call it racist, money-driven,BS, whatever. the fact is the la clippers are the worst performing franchise in any of the 4 major pro sports. they'll be the clippers with or without Sterling or Magic

theo_robbins 04-29-2014 04:53 PM

they really violated his first amendment here

USCBatgirl21 04-29-2014 04:53 PM

Is it really punishment to sell something you bought for $12 million for a cool BILLION????