CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Rental Car Company? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206202)

2000grad 04-30-2014 01:20 PM

Rental Car Company?
 
I don't really rent cars often (once every 10 years or so), but I need to rent one when I am in Florida this summer for a convention.

Any suggestions for the good, bad, and ugly of car rental companie???

davidmc467 04-30-2014 01:23 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
I've always used Hertz and have never had any issues.

eightohhthree 04-30-2014 01:24 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4146705)
I don't really rent cars often (once every 10 years or so), but I need to rent one when I am in Florida this summer for a convention.

Any suggestions for the good, bad, and ugly of car rental companie???

We have a corporate account with Enterprise. Service is usually very good and most times they'll let me pick which one I want off their lot.

Gamecocks1137 04-30-2014 01:24 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
I usually go through Hertz. Just about any of the rental car companies are going to want about a $200 deposit. I haven't had any major issue with Hertz, and last month I rented one for a 10 days and it ran me to about $420. It was a good car, only issue I had with it was the Cigarette Lighters in both the dash and console would not work, so I could not charge my phone to use my GPS, and that was a real pain in the ass. For the most part, pricing seemed ok, just make sure to check the inside before taking the car, to see that everything including outlets work.

davidmc467 04-30-2014 01:29 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Also, if you're renting from an off-airport location, make sure the car is clean. The off-airport rental car places can be lazy and give you a messy car.

spareparts 04-30-2014 01:51 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Used to use Enterprise alot, but they are getting really bad. They will lie to you about damage to the car in order to get more money from you for damages, and their cars are unsafe as hell. In the past few years I have noticed a big drop off in quality of their company. I hate that because I have used them alot in the past but I'd shop around, and not just for price.

ColaCock 04-30-2014 01:52 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
I can get you a discount for Hertz.

SwampFox 04-30-2014 02:15 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Check Travelocity, as you can shop all of the companies via that. I've used Hertz, Budget, Enterprise, Thrifty, and Alamo. I have no complaints about any of them.

Acockolypse Now 04-30-2014 02:36 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Thrifty.

Hertz is WAY too expensive.

I rent from Enterprise now just because it's a corporate account. To Spare's point I had a guy in Santa Barbara try that shit on me and shut him down.

TKE226 04-30-2014 03:33 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Used to use National, but it was a work account. I feel like when you rent using a company account, they are more lenient, than when you rent as an individual.

U-Dub Gamecock 04-30-2014 03:57 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4146738)
Used to use Enterprise alot, but they are getting really bad. They will lie to you about damage to the car in order to get more money from you for damages, and their cars are unsafe as hell. In the past few years I have noticed a big drop off in quality of their company. I hate that because I have used them alot in the past but I'd shop around, and not just for price.

My first job out of college was these guys. They treat their employees like crap.

ColaCock 04-30-2014 04:00 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4146777)
Thrifty.

Hertz is WAY too expensive.

I rent from Enterprise now just because it's a corporate account. To Spare's point I had a guy in Santa Barbara try that shit on me and shut him down.

Money is going to the same place either way.

uscgmck 04-30-2014 04:08 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
I use Dollar or Thrifty but when I can find I use U-Save. Always take your camera/phone with you and video the car before you leave be sure to get an employee in the vid along with the mileage. Be sure to do a complete walk around fenders, hood, trunk and interior. When you return vid again this time get the employee (and mileage)taking the car back in the vid. Save the video to a file and dare them to call you.

IMACOCK 04-30-2014 04:33 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Bid on priceline.com

Spur's Addiction 04-30-2014 04:45 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
When I used to travel for work it was always Avis. Corporate account and it was always seamless and easy. I am not sure how they are price wise (compared to others) since I never paid for it out of pocket.

3MTA3 04-30-2014 04:51 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Never had a single problem with Hertz. Use them often on work trips.
I used to use National before my company insisted everyone use Hertz for the corporate discount- always really liked National as well.

Avoid Enterprise like the plague.

AtlGAMECOCK 04-30-2014 08:20 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
I don't get the enterprise hate , I have never had a bad experience with them.

U-Dub Gamecock 04-30-2014 09:29 PM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK (Post 4147098)
I don't get the enterprise hate , I have never had a bad experience with them.

When I worked there, we did treat the customers very well. My problem was with management... The employees were treated bad, especially by the car dealerships that used our vehicles for their customers when their car was in the shop.

3MTA3 05-01-2014 08:12 AM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK (Post 4147098)
I don't get the enterprise hate , I have never had a bad experience with them.

There used to be a website that detailed many, many horror story experiences
failingenterprise.com

I had an experience that deserved to be on that site, before it was shut down

I scheduled a pickup reservation, 3 days in advance, from a collision center while my car was worked on. I sat at the collision center for nearly an hour, waiting. When I called, they said "oh, I'm so sorry...our guy just left to pick you up, he'll be there in about 15 minutes"

Fast forward another hour...still no enterprise.

I called again. Literally the same line...
I explained to the person I dont like being lied to- and if their guy had left about an hour earlier, as was told to me, then how could he have just left (again)?

Anyways- I ended up having an employee from the collision center drive me to enterprise. Keep in mind, the enterprise location was only about 10 minutes from the collision center.

When I got to enterprise? No car...
They literally told me they didn't have any cars, and that their guy was on his way back from car max (so, essentially...they had been slow playing me when i was waiting for a pickup due to their inability to honor a reservation)

When the guy got back from car max?
"we've 'upgraded' you to a Chevy Silverado!"

"umm...I didn't reserve that gas guzzler..."


By this point, arguing with them was pointless, and nearly half my workday was shot. I relented, and just accepted the 2-seat gas guzzler.

Oh, you thought their incompetence would end there? LOL

Got into the truck...LITERALLY on empty.
What kind of rental car company rents out a car, any car, on empty???

When I told enterprise about the fuel situation, their response?
"oh, well...you can bring it back on E"

WTF? So its on ME to guess how much gas I'm going to end up using over the course of the upcoming week when I leave enterprise and refuel the truck?

Cause, if I fill it up, or even half a tank, but don't return it on E, then I've essentially donated (expensive) fuel to enterprise...cute.

Perusing the interwebz showed me that my experience wasnt even close to unique.
So, yeah.... Failing Enterprise, indeed.

2000grad 05-01-2014 09:59 AM

Re: Rental Car Company?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4147337)
There used to be a website that detailed many, many horror story experiences
failingenterprise.com

I had an experience that deserved to be on that site, before it was shut down

I scheduled a pickup reservation, 3 days in advance, from a collision center while my car was worked on. I sat at the collision center for nearly an hour, waiting. When I called, they said "oh, I'm so sorry...our guy just left to pick you up, he'll be there in about 15 minutes"

Fast forward another hour...still no enterprise.

I called again. Literally the same line...
I explained to the person I dont like being lied to- and if their guy had left about an hour earlier, as was told to me, then how could he have just left (again)?

Anyways- I ended up having an employee from the collision center drive me to enterprise. Keep in mind, the enterprise location was only about 10 minutes from the collision center.

When I got to enterprise? No car...
They literally told me they didn't have any cars, and that their guy was on his way back from car max (so, essentially...they had been slow playing me when i was waiting for a pickup due to their inability to honor a reservation)

When the guy got back from car max?
"we've 'upgraded' you to a Chevy Silverado!"

"umm...I didn't reserve that gas guzzler..."


By this point, arguing with them was pointless, and nearly half my workday was shot. I relented, and just accepted the 2-seat gas guzzler.

Oh, you thought their incompetence would end there? LOL

Got into the truck...LITERALLY on empty.
What kind of rental car company rents out a car, any car, on empty???

When I told enterprise about the fuel situation, their response?
"oh, well...you can bring it back on E"

WTF? So its on ME to guess how much gas I'm going to end up using over the course of the upcoming week when I leave enterprise and refuel the truck?

Cause, if I fill it up, or even half a tank, but don't return it on E, then I've essentially donated (expensive) fuel to enterprise...cute.

Perusing the interwebz showed me that my experience wasnt even close to unique.
So, yeah.... Failing Enterprise, indeed.

What a horror story. I should have known you would have more experience than most.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.