CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   JB jr Tearing it up again (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206206)

Spotter22 04-30-2014 04:19 PM

JB jr Tearing it up again

2 Doubles, 2 RBIs and a run scored in last nights win. He has arrived and wont be going back down to the minors amymore.

trapper82 04-30-2014 05:34 PM

Re: JB jr Tearing it up again

Great news!

Regalcock 04-30-2014 05:39 PM

Great for him!

MisterClowney 04-30-2014 05:46 PM

I watch most of his games plus he's on my fantasy team. Definitely hitting a lot better this season. Needs to be more disciplined at the plate, but that's coming along. His defense is simply amazing though. No way he gets sent down unless he slumps majorly.

rosstheboss 04-30-2014 05:56 PM

He just has to cut down on the strikeouts. Averages about one every game or every 3-4 at bats. He has a sharp eye and tries to work walks and takes too many borderline pitches. He hasn't earned the right to a smaller strikezone like some others seem to have. But yes overall he is really starting to show improvement and driving the ball instead of being purely a singles hitter. I think his WAR is about 80% of what ellsburys is so that's just ok but he also only makes like 5% of the money ellsbury makes so so far it has been a decent trade off for the sox.
EDIT:
as of today, ellsbury and JBJ both have a .7 WAR(wins above replacement), JBJ has a higher RF(range) 3.01 vs 2.83, and a much higher DWAR(defensive wins above replacement) at 0.4 vs 0.0. Ellsbury is clearly better at the plate as all the bating stats are in his favor but JBJ is closely behind in all of those. Hope he keeps it up

U-Dub Gamecock 04-30-2014 11:14 PM

He is currently hitting .244 this year. Much improved, but still plenty of room for improvement.

darthtripous 05-01-2014 10:43 AM

I have a bunch of friends that live up there (spent many summers up there is college). I told my Red Sox buddies all about JBJ. They were not impressed by him last year, but they are pumped about his performance this year. My only worry is that their fan base can get a little crazy and make people want to leave. I hope this is not the case. I want to go back to Fenway and see him play in a Red Sox uniform.

rosstheboss 05-01-2014 10:49 AM

Just got my tickets to go see JBJ and the Sox take on the Braves on Memorial Day!

SClawman 05-01-2014 12:19 PM

Glad to hear it. He had been in a slump the last couple weeks.

TaiwanCock 05-01-2014 05:01 PM

JBJ Learning to Run with Everyday Role

Bradley, meanwhile, has become nearly indispensable. Most days, the Sox ask him to run everything down in center. On occasions when Victorino is out, the team may ask him to play right. Either way, his defense makes him so valuable to a team that’s leaked runs for much of the year that his presence at the bottom of the lineup card has been almost assured on a nightly basis.

The 24-year-old thus has been entrusted with an opportunity to play through the proverbial ups and downs of a baseball season.

TaiwanCock 05-01-2014 05:04 PM

The Takeaway: Emerging Jackie Bradley Jr. perhaps following the Dustin Pedroia path

Like Pedroia, Bradley was a polished defensive player with a mature plate approach when the Red Sox plucked him from a major college program more than 40 picks into the June draft. Like Pedroia, there was little question Bradley was going to be able to hold his own defensively. Like Pedroia, Bradley struggled immensely in both his first and second exposures to major-league pitching.
Like Pedroia did, Bradley has kept playing with the backing of the coaching staff and the front office. Like Pedroia did, Bradley might be turning the corner.

TaiwanCock 05-05-2014 03:12 PM

“I said it after the last start: The attributes that he shows in center field are second to none as far as I'm concerned," starter Clay Buchholz said. "He gets some of the best jumps on balls of anybody I’ve ever seen. And that’s saying a lot, having Ells (Jacoby Ellsbury) out there for the last couple years. He’s picked us up a lot.”

TaiwanCock 05-06-2014 09:57 AM

Callahan: Bradley must hit to take over in center

He earned his way to the big leagues with a patient approach at the plate and a high OBP (.404 in the minors) but now he has clearly taken it too far. He is too passive, too concerned with taking pitches and working the count, and pitchers know it.

trapper82 05-06-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaiwanCock (Post 4150494)
Callahan: Bradley must hit to take over in center

He earned his way to the big leagues with a patient approach at the plate and a high OBP (.404 in the minors) but now he has clearly taken it too far. He is too passive, too concerned with taking pitches and working the count, and pitchers know it.

These clowns need to make up their minds. A week ago he swung at a first pitch and was told to be more patient, work the count a little. Now he works the count too much. Baseball is a long haul game, if you are going to focus on how he does in one game vs. the whole set of time you are really doing him a disservice.

Does he need to improve? Sure. Does he need time and reps to do it? Yes. Is it worth it, given his defensive prowess? Absolutely. So suck it up Boston media, give the guy a shot.

ReadR00ster 05-06-2014 10:36 AM

Couple of bad games in a row.

trapper82 05-06-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4150512)
Couple of bad games in a row.

In baseball, where individual games in the regular season matter the least of any sport. The Boston media like to really dissect this stuff more than most but he will be fine.

TaiwanCock 05-06-2014 11:40 AM

Boston and New York are tough, tough media markets in which to play. (BTW, did anyone see Jimmy Fallon prank New York fans who thought they were booing a cardboard cutout of Robbie Cano and instead found themselves face to face with him?).

JBJ should take some solace in knowing that BoSox fans used to regularly boo Pedroia when Pedroia was still trying to figure out how to hit major league pitching.

rosstheboss 05-07-2014 09:26 PM

JBJ down to .210 in avg. now.Struggling to get hits right now although his obp is still pretty good. During the game last night it showed a stat that he leads the team in avg with risp which is hard to believe.

Luke Skycocker 05-07-2014 10:23 PM

He can't hit lefties at all

rosstheboss 05-16-2014 10:16 PM

JBJ in a serious slump. He could dip below a .200 avg tonight