CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Top ten receivers in BCS era (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206207)

2000grad 04-30-2014 04:23 PM

Top ten receivers in BCS era

Really? I can understand some of these guys...but not the entire list

http://athlonsports.com/college-foot...ers-bcs-era#10

usc1 04-30-2014 04:44 PM

Re: Top ten receivers in BCS era

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4146891)
Really? I can understand some of these guys...but not the entire list

http://athlonsports.com/college-foot...ers-bcs-era#10

Yeah some of those were confusing. Were they going for production or talent or what?

Percy Harvin was a great player but I don't think I'd put him on a top 10 receiver list. Hell, I think Alshon was a better receiver than a couple of those guys but I guess he lacked the career numbers. AJ Green has an argument too.

B-G 04-30-2014 04:46 PM

So basically you just don't agree with Watkins right?

I don't agree with Matthews, and Holt shouldn't be in it because 2 of his years weren't the BCS era.

2000grad 04-30-2014 05:08 PM

broyles and Austin
should be on that list

trapper82 04-30-2014 05:45 PM

Yeah that list is fairly ridiculous. Hopkins was better than Watkins by every measurable standard, and there is no way Hopkins would make my top 10.

Latt7more 04-30-2014 05:47 PM

Alshon Jeffery isn't on the list. It's not a true list.

SirBigSpur 04-30-2014 07:33 PM

Broyles at Oklahoma was one of the best Wide Outs of this era. Not on the list. Smh

usc1 04-30-2014 08:09 PM

Broyles really? He wasn't THAT good.

crowcutta 05-01-2014 05:46 AM

much like the run n shoot these up tempo offenses are inflating stats and its causing a lot of people to say this wr had more yards and td's so he's a better player. that said i cant even see the list cause i despise slideshows.

Gamecocks1137 05-01-2014 11:32 AM

If your going to do a top 10 list of receivers in the BCS era and not include Alshon Jeffery, who even as we speak is getting ready to rack up another impressive NFL season, then this list is a fraud.

Lalli25 05-01-2014 12:24 PM

I don't agree with Harvin, Matthews and Watkins. I think the others were all legit selections. Harvin and Watkins systems inflated their stats. Like half of their catches were bubble screens, which might as well be considered a running play. I don't know how you ignore some of the So Cal WR or even guys like Plaxico Burress. Seems like this list is too influenced by recent WR and ignored some great mid 2000's WRs.

I can at least agree with their top two. I don't think anyone can argue against those guys being the top two WR, in whatever order you want.

2000grad 05-01-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4147085)
Broyles really? He wasn't THAT good.

You're kidding, right?

B-G 05-01-2014 12:41 PM

I don't think Alshon is one of the 10 best BCS era WRs of all Time.

And his NFL success should have no bearing on this list.

Also Dez Bryant should have gotten an honorable mention, his suspension killed what would have been a great junior year.(Unless I missed that)

B-G 05-01-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4147554)
I don't agree with Harvin, Matthews and Watkins. I think the others were all legit selections. Harvin and Watkins systems inflated their stats. Like half of their catches were bubble screens, which might as well be considered a running play. I don't know how you ignore some of the So Cal WR or even guys like Plaxico Burress. Seems like this list is too influenced by recent WR and ignored some great mid 2000's WRs.

I can at least agree with their top two. I don't think anyone can argue against those guys being the top two WR, in whatever order you want.

Agreed, Dwayne Jarrett (unanimous 2 time All American) should be in the top 10.
I'd even give an honorable mention to Mike Hass, All American and Biletnikoff award winner.

usc1 05-01-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4147579)
Agreed, Dwayne Jarrett (unanimous 2 time All American) should be in the top 10.
I'd even give an honorable mention to Mike Hass, All American and Biletnikoff award winner.

If you're going to include Jarrett you might as well include Rice. So no.

Gamecocks1137 05-01-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4147573)
I don't think Alshon is one of the 10 best BCS era WRs of all Time.

And his NFL success should have no bearing on this list.

Also Dez Bryant should have gotten an honorable mention, his suspension killed what would have been a great junior year.(Unless I missed that)

He is second all time in receiving yards for a season in the SEC, and made some insane catches over the years here, he definitely deserves to be on this list. Hell, according to the person who wrote the list, he didn't even "just miss the cut."

trapper82 05-01-2014 02:12 PM

I also don't think Jeffery would be a top 10 receiver in the BCS era. Love the Gamecocks as much as anyone, but he's not that high.

B-G 05-01-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4147619)
If you're going to include Jarrett you might as well include Rice. So no.

Why is that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4147648)
He is second all time in receiving yards for a season in the SEC, and made some insane catches over the years here, he definitely deserves to be on this list. Hell, according to the person who wrote the list, he didn't even "just miss the cut."

So one season and "insane catches" means he's one of the top 10 all time? (Well BCS era)

If that's the case then why don't you say Josh Reed? He's number 1,won the Biletnikoff award and also had "insane catches"

InletCock1989 05-01-2014 02:59 PM

Sammy Watkins? LOL

Gamecocks1137 05-01-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4147664)
Why is that?

So one season and "insane catches" means he's one of the top 10 all time? (Well BCS era)

If that's the case then why don't you say Josh Reed? He's number 1,won the Biletnikoff award and also had "insane catches"

So you would rather have Sammy Watkins instead of Alshon Jeffery on this list? lol

Alshon Jeffery was a game changer and could not be covered by any corner, whether it was Alabama's best, or Georgia's best. He deserves to be in the top 10, and if you wan't my honest opinion, that last year he should have won the WR award. He was not in an Air Raid offense that threw the ball 45 times a game. He was a shut down WR that no corner could cover, and still cannot cover in the NFL.