CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Other Gamecock Sports (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Softball needs one more win (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206246)

scfastpitch 05-01-2014 06:59 PM

Softball needs one more win

to clinch a spot in the SEC tournament next week . If Mississippi State beats LSU once that would also put us in , since the only way we don't get in is in a 3-way tie with MSU & Texas A&M . The C&P from the USC site below goes over the scenario . USC hosts #20 Auburn , coached by Clint Myers who won two national championships at Arizona State .

Pivotal Weekend for South Carolina's Postseason Hopes

The picture for the SEC Tournament is clear for the Gamecocks with three games left to play.
South Carolina makes the tournament with one win, either by the Gamecocks or by Mississippi State, which would eliminate a three-way tie scenario between the aforementioned two teams and Texas A&M.
Two Gamecock wins would guarantee that South Carolina would play in the 8-9 game, as it would give South Carolina the advantage in the subsequent tie with Auburn, who is one game ahead entering the series.
For Texas A&M to make the field over the Gamecocks, Auburn and LSU would have to sweep South Carolina and Mississippi State, respectively.
The winner of the first-round games would face either Alabama, Missouri or Tennessee, the only three teams who have a chance to win the regular-season crown.

JerseyBird 05-02-2014 06:32 AM

Re: Softball needs one more win

Go Cocks :swingcoc: !

ConwayGamecock 05-02-2014 06:56 AM

We are hosting Auburn, so hopefully that helps us this weekend!

OldPat 05-02-2014 07:00 AM

Ladies, remember Ballgame didn't hit .406 sitting on the bench. Don't rely on someone else to do your job for you; do it yourself. And that schedule you just played prepared you to do just that.

Win just one?? LOL. You're at home. Sweep their ass!

uscfsu23 05-02-2014 09:22 AM

Planning on taking my kids to the saturday game. Online I cannot buy more than 1 adult ticket... any idea if it is really sold out?

scfastpitch 05-02-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscfsu23 (Post 4148231)
Planning on taking my kids to the saturday game. Online I cannot buy more than 1 adult ticket... any idea if it is really sold out?

No idea . Call the ticket office and ask .

uscfsu23 05-02-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scfastpitch (Post 4148234)
No idea . Call the ticket office and ask .

yeah they were not really that helpful. Basically said there should be tickets. Kind of strange.

scfastpitch 05-02-2014 09:50 AM

I doubt that it's sold out . And regardless of how many tickets have been sold , there will be some no-shows among season ticket holders . Every game I've been to they were selling walkup tickets .

OldPat 05-02-2014 08:57 PM

Ladycocks 3-1 thru 4. Eight hits. Got our eyes on the prize tonite.

OldPat 05-02-2014 09:17 PM

3-3 going to the bottom of the 6th. Blue on in relief.

OldPat 05-02-2014 09:39 PM

Still 3-3. Top of the 8th.

OldPat 05-02-2014 10:07 PM

AU wins 5-3 in 8. This game emulated our season-Good start, ran out of gas, almost but not quite. Ladies, we're running out of tomorrows.

scfastpitch 05-02-2014 10:44 PM

You hold Auburn to 3 runs in 7 innings , you've got to win that game . They are the highest scoring team in the league . We aren't a great hitting team right now, especially with rbi leader Snaer out . Got to find a way to score enough runs to win one though .

FlorenceCock 05-02-2014 11:43 PM

It would be a shame for us not to make the tournament when it is held in our own beautiful new stadium.

scfastpitch 05-03-2014 08:05 PM

Gamecocks take game 2 from Auburn 7-4 . Complete game win for Nikki Blue . Big blow was a grand slam by Chelsea Hawkins followed by a solo home run by Sarah Mooney . We are officially in the SEC tournament now at 10-13 in conference with one more game with Auburn . Regardless of what happens Sunday we will be one of the 4 teams playing on Wednesday .

ConwayGamecock 05-03-2014 09:35 PM

Great win for the Gamecocks! Attendance was reportedly a Beckham Field record of 1,304 fans (don't know if it was officially a sellout - they list the stadium's capacity as being "over 1,200"). Auburn is ranked 20th in both polls - let's go ahead and take tomorrow's game and the series, and head into the Tournament on a roll!

Here's the story on today's win from gamecocksonline.com...

OldPat 05-03-2014 09:53 PM

Returned home about dark to find our Ladies had won. WTG! Now let's show AU how hard it's gonna be to win a series at our new place.

A famous philosopher once said, "The game is 50% physical and 80% mental." What Yogi didn't explain: That last 30% that puts you over the hump comes from believing.

Ladies, I've believed in you more than you've believed in yourselves all season, but you can prove me wrong tomorrow & next week. Beginning of the end or end of the beginning?? It's your call and has been since day one if you but believe.

scfastpitch 05-03-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock (Post 4149183)
Great win for the Gamecocks! Attendance was reportedly a Beckham Field record of 1,304 fans (don't know if it was officially a sellout - they list the stadium's capacity as being "over 1,200"). Auburn is ranked 20th in both polls - let's go ahead and take tomorrow's game and the series, and head into the Tournament on a roll!

I guess that would be a record for the "new" Beckham Field , but it was still called Beckham Field back in 1997 when we had 2200 people for the regional final . I will never forget that game, with people lined up all around the outfield fence, and the team doing a victory lap after the game was over . Not sure if we could break that record the way the stadium is configured now . The outfield fence is higher now and we would probably need temporary bleachers , and with the track on one side and sand volleyball on the other , space is pretty tight . Would be a nice problem to deal with though .

uscfsu23 05-03-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock (Post 4149183)

Here's the story on today's win from gamecocksonline.com...

Attended the game today with my family and had a really good time. Stadium is beautiful and the Gamecocks won! Not sure how many tickets were sold but it was by no means full. It was a decent crowd but I would say 70% full...maybe.

scfastpitch 05-04-2014 04:45 PM

Gamecocks win the series , taking game three 4-2 . What a great job by our pitchers in this series ! Today Julie Sarratt allowed 2 runs (both unearned) in 5 innings , and Nikki Blue closed it out with 2 scoreless innings . The first four hitters in Auburn's lineup are really good . We were able to limit the damage by them .
So, if I'm looking at the standings right , both USC and Auburn finish at 11-13 , with USC having the head-to-head tiebreaker . So 8th place USC and 9th place Auburn will meet again Wednesday on the first day of the tournament . Looks like a 6:30 start time . 10th place Mississippi State will play the 7th place team (either Kentucky or LSU) at 4 pm Wednesday .
All tournament games will be televised on ESPNU , except for the championship game Saturday night which is on ESPN2 .