CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206279)

Gamecocks1137 05-02-2014 02:02 PM

Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...s-brian-kelly/

Ranked behind Nick Saban only, there is a video in the link as well. Guy seems to think if he wins an SEC at South Carolina he will pass Bear Bryant as the best coach in the SEC ever.
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...hes-in-country <-- New Article just released on ESPN.com

Gamecocks1137 05-02-2014 02:29 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
This is what Hayes' top 10 looked like nationally:
1. Nick Saban, Alabama
2. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina
3. Urban Meyer, Ohio State
4. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
5. Brian Kelly, Notre Dame
6. Chris Petersen, Washington
7. David Shaw, Stanford
8. Les Miles, LSU
9. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State
10. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State

Thenardier 05-02-2014 02:31 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Malzahn ranked #13 wooo, lol. Pretty good for only 2 years coaching.

Gamecocks1137 05-02-2014 02:32 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4148459)
Malzahn ranked #13 wooo, lol. Pretty good for only 2 years coaching.

To his credit, he deserves it. As much as I hate Auburn, Malzahn is a damn good coach.

ElectricCock 05-02-2014 02:40 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
That's good and all, glad Spurrier is #2, but it's hard to take that article seriously when Dabo is in the top 20...

NJGCfan 05-02-2014 02:43 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Malzahn is more deserving of a top 10 spot than Brian Kelly. With the amount of talent ND gets they should never be bad. Kelly just isn't a good coach


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamecocks1137 05-02-2014 02:43 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricCock (Post 4148470)
That's good and all, glad Spurrier is #2, but it's hard to take that article seriously when Dabo is in the top 20...

This guy does it annually, also I am not positive, but I think the coaches vote on it. (If not, someone let me know, I swore I read that in one of the 2 or 3 articles on this today.)

highpockets12 05-02-2014 03:13 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Matt Hayes called pre Spurrier USC an armpit, I think the smell was coming from below his nose. HA....

B-G 05-02-2014 03:22 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJGCfan (Post 4148471)
Malzahn is more deserving of a top 10 spot than Brian Kelly. With the amount of talent ND gets they should never be bad. Kelly just isn't a good coach


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"With the amount of good talent"

It's not like Auburn gets bad talent either.

I agree Kelly ain't that great but your argument is flawed because Auburn gets elite talent yearly as well.

NJGCfan 05-02-2014 03:43 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4148491)
"With the amount of good talent"



It's not like Auburn gets bad talent either.



I agree Kelly ain't that great but your argument is flawed because Auburn gets elite talent yearly as well.


But Malzahn is better because he wins


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thenardier 05-02-2014 03:44 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-G (Post 4148491)
"With the amount of good talent"

It's not like Auburn gets bad talent either.

I agree Kelly ain't that great but your argument is flawed because Auburn gets elite talent yearly as well.

So, by that logic, coaches at great schools shouldn't be considered, due to them getting good talent?

B-G 05-02-2014 03:48 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4148509)
So, by that logic, coaches at great schools shouldn't be considered, due to them getting good talent?

Exactly.

Basically you should throw out everyone at a big school then.
Na nothing.

I'm not by any means defending either coach, I just don't believe he defended against Kelly well.

It's the same reason people on here don't call Saban that great of a coach. "Because he's at Bama."

cockfight21 05-02-2014 03:58 PM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
I like the top 2. I would move D'antonio way up, as well as Bill Snyder and Gary Pinkel. I am always much more impressed with the guys that can do it with less talent. Just like HBC.

Also Dabo should easily be in the top 20. Clemson is good every year with him.

uscsandstorm85 05-04-2014 03:34 AM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Someone should do a ranking based off of actual coaching instead of recruiting.

ReadR00ster 05-04-2014 04:06 AM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 (Post 4149286)
Someone should do a ranking based off of actual coaching instead of recruiting.

Recruiting is an inseparable part of coaching, so he must not be doing too bad in that department.

ReadR00ster 05-04-2014 04:12 AM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
So wait. Nick Saban is #1, but Steve Spurrier is the #2 best of all time in the SEC behind only bear Bryant?

ccured 05-04-2014 07:13 AM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
I think Brian Kelly is a very good coach but a horrible "big game " coach. He over thinks things and doesn't trust what has gotten him there.

GamecockSuperFan 05-04-2014 10:24 AM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cockfight21 (Post 4148518)
I like the top 2. I would move D'antonio way up, as well as Bill Snyder and Gary Pinkel. I am always much more impressed with the guys that can do it with less talent. Just like HBC.

Also Dabo should easily be in the top 20. Clemson is good every year with him.

As much as no one wants to praise Dabo, he has the most win's against SEC schools of any coach outside the SEC right now. Had he been able to beat us the last 5 years, he would be much higher on this list.

ElectricCock 05-04-2014 10:55 AM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan (Post 4149345)
As much as no one wants to praise Dabo, he has the most win's against SEC schools of any coach outside the SEC right now. Had he been able to beat us the last 5 years, he would be much higher on this list.

Oh come on, Dabo doesn't do any coaching. That's like saying Gene Chizich is a great coach. Dabo doesn't coach! He's not a top 20 coach. He's a cheerleader.

ReCOCKulous 05-04-2014 11:01 AM

Re: Steve Spurrier ranked 2nd among FBS coaches.
 
Dabo is the best coach ever. Don't believe me? Name another coach who can coach his team to beat themselves. Let that sink in. Your mind = blown! Right?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.