CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Which Teams Like Connor? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206445)

Garnet Gamecock 05-10-2014 09:31 AM

Which Teams Like Connor?

Really not terribly interested in the draft except for how it impacts our boys.

I REALLY want Connor to get a shot and not go as a free agent.

Which teams were likely to give him a chance?

A. Pilgrim 05-10-2014 09:35 AM

Re: Which Teams Like Connor?

Mel Kiper can't even predict which teams go with what based on their need.
His big board is usually pretty damn good, but he can't seem to predict which teams go after whom from that big board.

If Mel can't predict this, and this is literally his career- its all he does, all year long...what makes you think someone from this board would be able to predict such?

Not trying to be an ass, just trying to point to the difficulty of predicting which teams will go with whom.

I'm a Panthers fan...and I never expected they would go with a DE and G for two of their first three selections.

Carolina4Life 05-10-2014 09:38 AM

Nobody knows.

Flameout12 05-10-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim (Post 4154095)
Mel Kiper can't even predict which teams go with what based on their need.

Those doing the picking (NFL teams) get who they want...and not what everyone else thinks they should get. The fallacy of those draft boards is they try to align everyone into some kind of pecking order....but it fails big time in assessing what the teams want/need/plan for/can afford.

It's so much more complicated than just making comments on a prospect's game clips and rating them accordingly.

But all this guessing must be making someone $$ because they keep doing it and it appears to be growing.

11SWU10 05-10-2014 10:20 AM

Free agents have more choices and not much difference in money.(late rounds) Nothing is certain even if they are drafted,

athenscock2 05-10-2014 11:19 AM

You are right. To be drafted is the luck of the draw. Go to a team loaded at your position greatly diminishes your chances of sticking. Free to sign on your own gives you a chance to shop for the team with the greatest needs at your position.

CoverTwo 05-10-2014 11:22 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but being drafted in the later rounds just guarantees that you have a spot at training camp.

Gamecocks1137 05-10-2014 11:34 AM

To be completely honest, its starting to look kind of dim for Connor to get drafted, each day that goes by where I don't even see Ellington come off the board makes me worry for Connor.

usc1 05-10-2014 11:55 AM

Could Connor be our 3rd Mr. Irrelevant?

FanofCarolina1 05-10-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4154137)
Correct me if I am wrong but being drafted in the later rounds just guarantees that you have a spot at training camp.

First 3 rounds pretty much guarantees you a roster spot. 4th through 7th is where they have to fight for a roster spot.

Flameout12 05-10-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4154137)

...along with a bunch of UDFAs...including walk-ons.

Picking up free agents is as important as the draft...this is where a lot of the lower picks get left out...they have to compete with legacy roster guys, high draft picks, and new free agents that got signed in the off-season for 53 roster spots.

Tough league...but the practice roster provides some buffer for developing players.

FanofCarolina1 05-10-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4154142)
To be completely honest, its starting to look kind of dim for Connor to get drafted, each day that goes by where I don't even see Ellington come off the board makes me worry for Connor.

Well good thing Bruce got taken by San Fran, as for one player that hasn't been selected yet which is a head scratcher to me is Kelcey at DT. I've seen some DT's selected that I KNOW KQ is better than.

TaiwanCock 05-10-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock (Post 4154089)
Really not terribly interested in the draft except for how it impacts our boys.

I REALLY want Connor to get a shot and not go as a free agent.

Which teams were likely to give him a chance?

Aaron Murray just came off the board. I'm really pulling for Connor, but the QBs are coming off the board very slowly. RBs too this year.

TaiwanCock 05-10-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaiwanCock (Post 4154257)
Aaron Murray just came off the board. I'm really pulling for Connor, but the QBs are coming off the board very slowly. RBs too this year.

McCarron just came off the board, so we are now working through the SEC QBs...

ZenUSC 05-10-2014 04:12 PM

The draft is a weird thing. It is not all about how good you are. You have to be playing the position a team needs when their selection comes up.
There may be a team right now already planning on letting Connor on board through free agency so they don't use up a draft selection on him.

Gamecocks1137 05-10-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4154279)
The draft is a weird thing. It is not all about how good you are. You have to be playing the position a team needs when their selection comes up.
There may be a team right now already planning on letting Connor on board through free agency so they don't use up a draft selection on him.

I hope not, he at least deserves to have his name called. I don't care if it is last.

B-G 05-10-2014 04:28 PM

Well so far, no one.

FanofCarolina1 05-10-2014 04:29 PM

Seeing Mettenberger drafted before Connor just pi$$es me off. Seriously, knee surgeries, back problems, and diluted urine sample at the combine, NTM, 16-9 as a starter. BS.

Travelin 05-10-2014 04:37 PM

Maybe Chicago with the 15th pick of this round???

Damn, they just took a QB.......

Carolina4Life 05-10-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4154148)
Could Connor be our 3rd Mr. Irrelevant?

Meaning?