CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   If Connor Shaw's passing stats had been higher? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206461)

Gamecocks1137 05-11-2014 12:09 PM

If Connor Shaw's passing stats had been higher?

Do you think he would have been drafted in 4th or 5th rounds? I am still completely clueless as to how NFL GM's and scouts can ignore a 24 TD to 1 INT season. So if he would have say, passed for 1,000 more yards or so, would he have received a better look from scouts? Or did Clowney's fame and presence really overshadow everyone else just that much?
As you can see, I have a lot of questions.

JaxcockFL 05-11-2014 12:21 PM

Re: If Connor Shaw's passing stats had been higher?

Really, it boils down to mechanics, decision making and arm strength. being successful in college does not mean you will be a successful NFL quarterback. See Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Blaine Gabbert and a ton of other guys. The game is much faster, so you have to get the ball out quick. It's very difficult. You have to have a quick release because DE's, LB's and DT's are all top of the top and are swiping at it.

FanofCarolina1 05-11-2014 12:23 PM

I can't understand why GM's can turn their heads on a QB who is undefeated as a starter in Bowl games. Has defeated other SEC and ACC QB's consecutively that were drafted, is a hard worker and no off the field issues. I understand they think his durability and height is a question mark, but c'mon so is Mettenberger. The only difference is that he is 6'4.

Dizzy01 05-11-2014 12:26 PM

It's a size not stat issue with Shaw. His height, weight and hand size are all red flags for the NFL. I hope he gets a fair shake in Cleveland but that just doesn't seem like a good situation and fit for him.

B-G 05-11-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxcockFL (Post 4155039)
Really, it boils down to mechanics, decision making and arm strength. being successful in college does not mean you will be a successful NFL quarterback. See Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Blaine Gabbert and a ton of other guys. The game is much faster, so you have to get the ball out quick. It's very difficult. You have to have a quick release because DE's, LB's and DT's are all top of the top and are swiping at it.

This

Gamecocks1137 05-11-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

I understand that. What I don't understand is how people can come to that conclusion before he has a chance to prove himself. If he would have went anywhere else I feel like he could have had the chance. But behind Manziel in Cleveland is just insane. He really got a sh*t deal.

jayceecock 05-11-2014 01:16 PM

I was really hoping Harbaugh was going to give Connor a chance at San Francisco. The Niners are not deep at QB. Behind Kap, they have two average QBs in Bethel-Thompson and newly acquired Blaine Gabbert.

Niner's offense fits Connor's strengths. He would of been worth a look for SF.

jellafever 05-11-2014 01:57 PM

I think arm strength was the biggest factor in him not being drafted. Of course, his size hurt too, but Manziel isn't much bigger than Connor. The difference is Manziel can throw the ball 50 yards with a flick of his wrist, while Connor needs to run into a throw of that distance. I'm glad Connor is getting a shot with an NFL team, but I don't think Cleveland was an ideal situation for him.

henmania 05-11-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4155028)
Do you think he would have been drafted in 4th or 5th rounds? I am still completely clueless as to how NFL GM's and scouts can ignore a 24 TD to 1 INT season. So if he would have say, passed for 1,000 more yards or so, would he have received a better look from scouts? Or did Clowney's fame and presence really overshadow everyone else just that much?

His stats were fine. It was arm strength and height that kill him. More arm strength than anything.

Gamecocks1137 05-11-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henmania (Post 4155096)
His stats were fine. It was arm strength and height that kill him. More arm strength than anything.

I have a question about that, and I have had it for a while. IF he or anyone else lacks arm strength throwing a football, why can't he just improve his strength in his arms, lifting weights, and gaining muscle.

GREENVILLE COCKPIT 05-11-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 (Post 4155045)
I can't understand why GM's can turn their heads on a QB who is undefeated as a starter in Bowl games. Has defeated other SEC and ACC QB's consecutively that were drafted, is a hard worker and no off the field issues. I understand they think his durability and height is a question mark, but c'mon so is Mettenberger. The only difference is that he is 6'4.

Hard to figure, but I thought a few of the other SEC qbs. would go higher. I figured he would go as a free agent, but honestly thought it would be better than Cleveland. & also with a team that didn't draft a qb. I was hoping with a very good qb that he could learn good mechanics from ! But hey maybe this is just a stepping stone for Connor, he can prove himself and another or maybe much better team will pick him up later. :happycoc:

carolinafan53186 05-11-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

I'm by no means a tebow apologist but did win a play off game

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

uscsandstorm85 05-11-2014 03:39 PM

All he needed was one team to take the chance.

b381l 05-11-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

where is Tim Tebow

Gamecocks1137 05-11-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4155171)
where is Tim Tebow

What does that have to do with anything? If your talking mechanics, Connor Shaw did not and does not throw the ball or release it like Tim Tebow.

henmania 05-11-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4155109)
I have a question about that, and I have had it for a while. IF he or anyone else lacks arm strength throwing a football, why can't he just improve his strength in his arms, lifting weights, and gaining muscle.

Just like I can't lift weights to throw a 90 mph fast ball. You have to be born with a gift. You can do things to improve it but you have to a physical talent to be able to throw a 3 step drop out. From what I've heard Connor can't do that. Not bashing him because I think he can play in the NFL under the right system. It's the something that hurts Tahj.

GarnetSwarm1990 05-11-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellafever (Post 4155095)
I think arm strength was the biggest factor in him not being drafted. Of course, his size hurt too, but Manziel isn't much bigger than Connor. The difference is Manziel can throw the ball 50 yards with a flick of his wrist, while Connor needs to run into a throw of that distance. I'm glad Connor is getting a shot with an NFL team, but I don't think Cleveland was an ideal situation for him.

Connor is actually taller than Manziel by a little bit.

FanofCarolina1 05-11-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREENVILLE COCKPIT (Post 4155135)
Hard to figure, but I thought a few of the other SEC qbs. would go higher. I figured he would go as a free agent, but honestly thought it would be better than Cleveland. & also with a team that didn't draft a qb. I was hoping with a very good qb that he could learn good mechanics from ! But hey maybe this is just a stepping stone for Connor, he can prove himself and another or maybe much better team will pick him up later. :happycoc:

I totally agree.

GarnetSwarm1990 05-11-2014 04:18 PM

Improving his arm strength is not about lifting weights. It's about stretching out those quick twitch muscles. Bigger arms don't mean more arm strength unless you are doing throwing drills to improve those other muscles too. Can he improve it? Yes, some. He'll never have the arm strength of Drew Brees but he can have the arm strength of an average QB in the league and that's good enough to have a long career.

Evilchicken2 05-11-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

What's surprising to you? The NFL is a passing league right now, and Connor doesn't have the stats or measurables. Sure he's a winner, and sure he's a hard working Christian guy, SO WHAT? The NFL wants guys that look good on paper.