CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Other Gamecock Sports (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Division I softball field of 64 announced (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206469)

FlorenceCock 05-11-2014 11:33 PM

Division I softball field of 64 announced

Quote:

http://i2.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/nc...?itok=qIRY4klU Shane Bevel | NCAA Photos

Jessica Vest and Oklahoma will look to defend their 2013 championship.

Committee releases 64 teams in 2014 Division I softball championship

NCAA.com

Last Updated - May 11, 2014 22:33 EDT
Contact | Archive | RSS
INDIANAPOLIS -- Oregon was named the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Division I Softball Championship on Sunday when the NCAA Division I Softball Committee announced the 64-team field. The Ducks, champions of the Pacific-12 Conference, are 49-7-1 and will play Utah Valley, an automatic qualifier from the Western Athletic Conference.
Interactive Bracket Printable
Thirty-two conferences were awarded an automatic qualification, while the remaining 32 slots were filled with at-large selections to complete the bracket. The top 16 teams were seeded nationally and will play at campus sites this weekend.
Team pairings were determined by geographic proximity, with the exception that teams from the same conference were not paired during regional competition.
The Southeastern Conference led all leagues with 11 teams selected to the championship tournament. The Big Ten and Pacific-12 Conferences each placed five teams in the championship tournament, respectively. Six teams are making their first appearance in the tournament: Bryant, Charleston Southern, Dartmouth, Utah Valley, SIU-Edwardsville and Texas Southern.
Only 11 schools have been crowned the NCAA Division I softball champion since the tournament started in 1982, and eight are in this year’s bracket.
Quote:

Tallahassee Regional – May 16-18 at Tallahassee, Florida
South Carolina (35-20) vs. South Florida (41-15)
No. 8 seed Florida State* (50-6) vs. Fordham (36-18)
http://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/ar...l-championship

JerseyBird 05-12-2014 12:39 AM

Re: Division I softball field of 64 announced

Cool - Git Dat Bull!

Rebel4ever 05-12-2014 02:41 AM

If we win the regional, possible matchup with ASU who we beat earlier this year. Stars lining up for a trip to OKC?

scfastpitch 05-12-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4ever (Post 4155499)
If we win the regional, possible matchup with ASU who we beat earlier this year. Stars lining up for a trip to OKC?

I don't know . The stars have us facing a pitcher who pitched for teamUSA last summer in our first game . We'll see .

doccock 05-12-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scfastpitch (Post 4155521)
I don't know . The stars have us facing a pitcher who pitched for teamUSA last summer in our first game . We'll see .

This. And if we get past that we most likely get the #8 seeded team on their home field. It's a tough draw.
doc

JerseyBird 05-12-2014 08:36 AM

Well it's double elimination so there's a loss to give. Not that we plan on losing :cocky: :swingcoc: :cocky:

behindenemylines 05-12-2014 09:38 AM

Pretty cool exposure on ESPN!

JerseyBird 05-12-2014 09:44 AM

Newbie question - since it's double elimination but only three days to play, do they each play 2 games the first day, then a potential doubleheader for the two remaining teams on the final day?

scfastpitch 05-12-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4155553)
Newbie question - since it's double elimination but only three days to play, do they each play 2 games the first day, then a potential doubleheader for the two remaining teams on the final day?

Not sure what you're asking . It's a standard 4 team double elimination . On the third day , barring rain delays , their should be a 2-0 team playing the one remaining 2-1 team . The 2-1 team would have to win twice to win the regional .

scfastpitch 05-12-2014 12:26 PM

If you click on the interactive bracket , and then click on our bracket , it will give you the schedule for each day .

Rebel4ever 05-12-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scfastpitch (Post 4155521)

Crazier things have happened.

JerseyBird 05-12-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scfastpitch (Post 4155571)
Not sure what you're asking . It's a standard 4 team double elimination . On the third day , barring rain delays , their should be a 2-0 team playing the one remaining 2-1 team . The 2-1 team would have to win twice to win the regional .

Thanks - what I was thinking was that each team would have to play two different opponents on the first day, but I see that the extra game would be on the 2nd day for two of the teams (the loser of the winners and the winner of the losers). Makes more sense that way as my scenario would have 4 games on day 1 but only 1 game on day 2.

COCKYWOOD 05-12-2014 05:37 PM

:woo::woo::woo: Just win! USA ! :wink::wink::wink: