CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Proving Ground (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Discussion: Half of the JUCO Top Ten Players (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206475)

sgacock 05-12-2014 01:08 PM

Discussion: Half of the JUCO Top Ten Players

Reviewed the Juco Top Ten players on 247 and was a bit shocked that I recognized exactly half of them. Why? Because we are in STRONG POSITION with those five. How strong? We either have a commitment or have 100% of the predictions going to us at this time.

# 2 Marquavius Lewis: 6-4, 271 SDE from Huthinson (KS) Juco - originally from Greenwood. 10 of 10 predictions

# 3 D.J. Jones: 6-2, 310 DT from East Mississippi Juco - originally from Piedmont/Wren HS. 3 of 3 predictions

#4 Dante Sawyer: 6-3, 260 WDE from East Missippi Juco, originally signed with us last year out of N. Gwinnette. According to Kornblut, he is still all Gamecock and pushing current teammate DJ Jones hard to come here.4 of 4 predictions

#8 Davon Durant: LB 6-2, 240 ILB from Butler (KS) CC. Originally from Greenwood 9 of 9 predictions.

# 10 Paris Palmer: 6-8 305 OT from Lackawanna (PAP CC, originally from Plymouth, NC COMMITTED

A lot has to play itself out, but I'm stoked by these prospects. I sure hope Sawyer gets it done in one year!

2000grad 05-12-2014 01:26 PM

Re: Half of the JUCO Top Ten Players

sweet

Travelin 05-12-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgacock (Post 4155707)
Reviewed the Juco Top Ten players on 247 and was a bit shocked that I recognized exactly half of them. Why? Because we are in STRONG POSITION with those five. How strong? We either have a commitment or have 100% of the predictions going to us at this time.

# 2 Marquavius Lewis: 6-4, 271 SDE from Huthinson (KS) Juco - originally from Greenwood. 10 of 10 predictions

# 3 D.J. Jones: 6-2, 310 DT from East Mississippi Juco - originally from Piedmont/Wren HS. 3 of 3 predictions

#4 Dante Sawyer: 6-3, 260 WDE from East Missippi Juco, originally signed with us last year out of N. Gwinnette. According to Kornblut, he is still all Gamecock and pushing current teammate DJ Jones hard to come here.4 of 4 predictions

#8 Davon Durant: LB 6-2, 240 ILB from Butler (KS) CC. Originally from Greenwood 9 of 9 predictions.

# 10 Paris Palmer: 6-8 305 OT from Lackawanna (PAP CC, originally from Plymouth, NC COMMITTED

A lot has to play itself out, but I'm stoked by these prospects. I sure hope Sawyer gets it done in one year!

Great info. TY and points to ya.

Thenardier 05-12-2014 01:38 PM

Too early to get hyped about recruiting. Long way to go before signing day, though, that is a neat fact.

cockymac 05-12-2014 03:25 PM

Its never too early to get hyped about recruiting.

thekob 05-12-2014 03:35 PM

Why didn't we get #1? Spurrier mailing it in recruiting-wise I'll bet. Obviously our coaches don't care enough to recruit the top guys...

Seriously though, cool to see. Seems like these guys would address immediate needs on the OL and DL and also contribute immediately at LB. Hopefully this will translate into our D again being stellar this year, although in more of a team aspect.

FearThethumbandDJ 05-12-2014 03:38 PM

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...ke_pokemon.gif

MWard 05-12-2014 04:10 PM

IF we get all 3, it will be huge. These guys are MUCH more prepared for Division 1 ball than most all true freshman.

weatheredxtown 05-12-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekob (Post 4155794)
Why didn't we get #1? Spurrier mailing it in recruiting-wise I'll bet. Obviously our coaches don't care enough to recruit the top guys...

Seriously though, cool to see. Seems like these guys would address immediate needs on the OL and DL and also contribute immediately at LB. Hopefully this will translate into our D again being stellar this year, although in more of a team aspect.

I don't think we need a RB like that tho.

MWard 05-12-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weatheredxtown (Post 4155812)
I don't think we need a RB like that tho.

I would take Robinson or Kamara if they wanted to commit today, IMO. Really just b/c of a bird in hand type of thing, but they both can play ball and it's not a 100% lock that we're going to get any better RB.

Acockolypse Now 05-12-2014 04:25 PM

Normally I wouldn't be stoked about signing so many Juco's, but last year's smaller class means that we have a few holes to fill until the new guys come in.

brat 05-12-2014 04:27 PM

While I hope we do well with these guys in recruiting, I tend to be more cautious about hanging our success around Juco's. They have little time to learn our system and play, of course, and for whatever reason, many in our past have not been stellar, to put it mildly.

SOS has been reluctant to bring many in for one class and would not like this to be a regular thing. Too easy to get top heavy in your classes, but then again, we have more people declaring for the NFL and not staying long enough to graduate that in the past.

Oh, well, our coaches know best, just another sign of the times, perhaps.

sgacock 05-12-2014 04:33 PM

Is Jones on campus today?

MWard 05-12-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat (Post 4155821)
While I hope we do well with these guys in recruiting, I tend to be more cautious about hanging our success around Juco's. They have little time to learn our system and play, of course, and for whatever reason, many in our past have not been stellar, to put it mildly.

SOS has been reluctant to bring many in for one class and would not like this to be a regular thing. Too easy to get top heavy in your classes, but then again, we have more people declaring for the NFL and not staying long enough to graduate that in the past.

Oh, well, our coaches know best, just another sign of the times, perhaps.

Who was the highest rated JUCO we've brought in? I don't remember, so I'm genuinely asking. Was it Rok? I looked at the 247 JUCO rankings going back to '09. The highest rated one from then to now is #16 Abu Lamin. Just looking at the guys in the Top 10 every year I saw some really big names, guys now playing in the NFL. I'm sure there were several busts too, but a lot of the guys in the Top 10 for that year were All Stars in college.

Also, a lot of the "big" programs were often recruiting these Top 10 JUCO guys (bama, auburn, fsu, even oregon....) We already have huge holes to fill on the DL and we'll have holes to fill everywhere after this season. I'm okay with gambling on JUCO's b/c I see them as being much more ready for Div I football at the start of 2015, as opposed to many of the HS Sr's we're recruiting right now. Mainly b/c of the S&C programs these guys are in and years of experience. Even a bad JUCO team would whoop up on a good HS team, b/c of the size/strength advantage.

roosterdude21 05-12-2014 04:43 PM

Awesome info. Most of those positions require a year or two in order to develop so the fact that they are JUCO's is just fine with me.

MWard 05-12-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgacock (Post 4155828)
Is Jones on campus today?

yes

Liquid_nails 05-12-2014 07:07 PM

Great info

FanofCarolina1 05-12-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4155726)
Too early to get hyped about recruiting. Long way to go before signing day, though, that is a neat fact.

neat.

HeadCockFan 05-12-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 (Post 4156019)
neat.

Swell.

FeartheSpur 05-13-2014 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWard (Post 4155839)
Who was the highest rated JUCO we've brought in? I don't remember, so I'm genuinely asking. Was it Rok? I looked at the 247 JUCO rankings going back to '09. The highest rated one from then to now is #16 Abu Lamin. Just looking at the guys in the Top 10 every year I saw some really big names, guys now playing in the NFL. I'm sure there were several busts too, but a lot of the guys in the Top 10 for that year were All Stars in college.

Also, a lot of the "big" programs were often recruiting these Top 10 JUCO guys (bama, auburn, fsu, even oregon....) We already have huge holes to fill on the DL and we'll have holes to fill everywhere after this season. I'm okay with gambling on JUCO's b/c I see them as being much more ready for Div I football at the start of 2015, as opposed to many of the HS Sr's we're recruiting right now. Mainly b/c of the S&C programs these guys are in and years of experience. Even a bad JUCO team would whoop up on a good HS team, b/c of the size/strength advantage.

Maybe jerrell king?