CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Can we still get a top 8 seed? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206488)

ucan'tlickourcocks 05-12-2014 07:33 PM

Can we still get a top 8 seed?

Can we still get a top 8 seed?What do we have to do to earn it? Is it too late?

We all saw last year in Chapel Hill just how big that Super Regional home field advantage can be!

Weekly polls released 5/12
#8 USA Today Coaches
#9 NCBWA
#12 RPI
#15 Perfect game
#17 Baseball America
#17 Collegiate Baseball

Thoughts please???

ucan'tlickourcocks 05-12-2014 07:38 PM

Re: Can we still get a top 8 seed?

Chasing Omaha says no........
http://www.chasingomaha.com/college-...ns-592014.html

Does have us hosting a regional, then potentially facing Virginia in a super regional.
Am I the only one who does not overly fear UVA?

Also, am I correct that there is no seeding past the top 8? Meaning that we could have been the 9th team,
yet we get the luxury of playing the #1 team Virginia in the Super Regional?

Add, UNC and Liberty would be a tough regional!!!

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary

jaybar 05-12-2014 07:40 PM

Need to take at least 2 of 3 from Vandy, and win at least 2 games in the SEC tourney to make it. Otherwise, we need some other folks ahead of us to stumble.

aftertwobowls 05-12-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks (Post 4155929)

Does have us hosting a regional, then potentially facing Virginia in a super regional.

Also, am I correct that there is no seeding past the top 8? Meaning that we could have been the 9th team,

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary

Those projections are a joke. Completely left off Cal Poly.

GarnetSwarm1990 05-12-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary

I don't fear Virginia either. Their strength is their pitching and our pitching is better.

This team can beat any team in the country. Just need timely hitting and not leave runners on base.

I still expect to get to Omaha. Just need a few things to go right.

usc1 05-12-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary

That regional would be brutal. Liberty is good enough to host and while UNC may be down they have enough talent to beat us any given day.

ucan'tlickourcocks 05-12-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar (Post 4155930)
Need to take at least 2 of 3 from Vandy, and win at least 2 games in the SEC tourney to make it. Otherwise, we need some other folks ahead of us to stumble.

So that would put us at 18-12 SEC, and assuming we beat Citadel tomorrow nite, would put us at 44-14 overall??? Would that be enough?

weatheredxtown 05-12-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 (Post 4155936)
I don't fear Virginia either. Their strength is their pitching and our pitching is better.

This team can beat any team in the country. Just need timely hitting and not leave runners on base.

I still expect to get to Omaha. Just need a few things to go right.

*GASP* YOU SAID THE WORD!!!!

markp_vip 05-12-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary

That wouldn't be too bad. I know last time we played in a Regional up there we took care of business. Might be tough for my family. They all went to UVA, but are huge Gamecock fans. My parents have had season tickets for years and think they would pull for the Cocks even though my dad's a Virginia alum.

Coulwoodwarlord 05-12-2014 09:55 PM

I'm resigned to the fact that we get what we get. In truth, I'm not worried about a Top 8 seed if we can get healthy. Love to see us take the series against Vanderbilt, as long as we bring Max and Connor along slowly, we should be fine. The quest to go west isn't that tough a trail, we just can't try to hoe the whole row in one fell swoop. One game at a time. Live to play another day. We could have easily taken the Super's at Chapel Hill last year. Don't get hung up on that shit.

JerseyBird 05-12-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord (Post 4156039)
I'm resigned to the fact that we get what we get. In truth, I'm not worried about a Top 8 seed if we can get healthy. Love to see us take the series against Vanderbilt, as long as we bring Max and Connor along slowly, we should be fine. The quest to go west isn't that tough a trail, we just can't try to hoe the whole row in one fell swoop. One game at a time. Live to play another day. We could have easily taken the Super's at Chapel Hill last year. Don't get hung up on that shit.

It is what it is

catdaddy66 05-12-2014 10:31 PM

It will certainly be tough to get it but it can be done IMO. All it takes is winning... Keep winning and it sets up well for us. 2/3 is a must when we go to Nashville, and a better showing in the conference tourney is the only way (+ one vs the Citadel). It's available, but will we take it? I believe we will, but that's just me.

jojaba71 05-12-2014 11:40 PM

I think a national seed is entirely possible. I will never give up on my school. Call me a sunshine pumper if you must!

uscnoklahoma 05-13-2014 01:04 PM

Yes. Win tonight, then 2 out of 3 or sweep Vandy, and then win 2 in the tournament and I think we are a #8 seed. I'm just thrilled we are almost back to full strength. The team had the magic when we were healthy....got a feeling it is about to come back. :wink:

B&GSpur 05-13-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4155951)
That regional would be brutal. Liberty is good enough to host and while UNC may be down they have enough talent to beat us any given day.

Just a thought, I have family in Kansas, one which plays for the J Hawks and their thinking is that they might be coming to Columbia.

U-Dub Gamecock 05-13-2014 06:10 PM

Win tonight, take 2 out of 3 in Nashville... Win at least 1(maybe 2) in Hoover... We get a national seed... Anything less, we don't get it.

usc1 05-13-2014 06:29 PM

We have a better resume than several teams ahead of us in the national seed hunt. Including FSU IMO (or at least on par). I think people still can't get past our UGA series loss. But with Schrock back we're easily a top 8 team. Hopefully we prove it with a series win against Vandy and the selection committee rewards us.

ucan'tlickourcocks 05-13-2014 07:50 PM

So it seems a 18-12 conf record and a 44-14 overall record could get it done........

God I hate Vandy! If we could win a series in Nashville...... I would be extremely pleased!

How about winning 3 in the SEC tourny...... 45-14 just has a better ring to it! ;)
Course, if history means anything, then flopping in the SEC tourny is not necessarily a bad thing!

U-Dub Gamecock 05-14-2014 07:32 AM

Well, won last night... Now let's get 2 out of 3 in Nashville...

superfly 05-14-2014 08:05 AM

If we go on a 15 game win streak...we national champions....that's how difficult it can be. I am so happy for 2 in a row and a 3rd would just make us the powerhouse of the decade. It's no wonder that winning it is almost impossible and back to back is seldom heard of......