CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   88lb Cobia out of Charleston (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206529)

Frosty 05-14-2014 09:25 AM

88lb Cobia out of Charleston

1 Attachment(s)
5lbs short of the state record.

Caught this with another guide on our day off. Fish ate a live blue crab pitched in front of it after we saw her on the surface. Biggest edible fish I have ever caught.

The Yancey 05-14-2014 09:46 AM

Re: 88lb Cobia out of Charleston

Good eating!

gamecock88 05-14-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 4157042)
5lbs short of the state record.

Caught this with another guide on our day off. Fish ate a live blue crab pitched in front of it after we saw her on the surface. Biggest edible fish I have ever caught.

Awesome catch. Are you a guide?

Frosty 05-14-2014 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes. And to clarify, the other guide "caught it" I saw it and put the boat on her. I did gaff it which got exciting and put it in the gloo.

I fish out of the IOP marina.
Shameless self promotion to follow

www.advoutdoors is my website. It is dated and needs an overhaul
You can also find me on facebook at Adventure Outdoors Charter Fishing and Boat Tours.

Special discounts for Cockytalk members. :)

SanAntonioCock 05-14-2014 10:26 AM

I thought this was a snake thread.
Is a cobia a saltwater catfish?

gamecock88 05-14-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 4157069)
Yes. And to clarify, the other guide "caught it" I saw it and put the boat on her. I did gaff it which got exciting and put it in the gloo.

I fish out of the IOP marina.
Shameless self promotion to follow

www.advoutdoors is my website. It is dated and needs an overhaul
You can also find me on facebook at Adventure Outdoors Charter Fishing and Boat Tours.

Special discounts for Cockytalk members. :)

Great. I may contact you soon. Taking my son out of port royal next month for his 13th birthday. Using a guide that was recommended to us by someone else. We vacation at Fripp every year but also make trips to Charleston every fall too.

markymark550 05-14-2014 10:39 AM

Nice catch!

cocky0 05-14-2014 10:47 AM

Oh it's just a little black fish, maybe 6 lbs. It's the camera angle that makes it look so large.

Thenardier 05-14-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocky0 (Post 4157088)
It's the camera angle that makes it look so large.

that's what she said.

Nassau Gamecock 05-14-2014 11:44 AM

love them fresh or smoked into fish dip. Do you find them wormy - used to see them like that from the gulf?
Do you fly fish charters for reds?

markp_vip 05-14-2014 01:05 PM

We use those for bait. JK, nice damn catch. How long did it take to reel that sucker in?

d20636 05-14-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocky0 (Post 4157088)
Oh it's just a little black fish, maybe 6 lbs. It's the camera angle that makes it look so large.

You're with DNR?

:lol:

cocky0 05-14-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d20636 (Post 4157221)
You're with DNR?

:lol:

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Karl Childers 05-14-2014 02:34 PM

Need a bigger cooler.:wink:

Cock Kool-Aid 05-14-2014 02:45 PM

I thought I recognized that marina... Went out of that same marina a couple weeks ago fishing for Reds, but got skunked. Apparently it's a little early in the season. We also hit up the jetties to fish for sea bass, flounder, and some other species (I believe), with no luck. I'm not an avid angler- just joined a couple of guys I know who have fished down there a good bit. One of them mentioned wanting to target Cobia, but apparenlty those are a little further out than they felt comfortable taking a 17 foot Key Largo on that day... oh and someone said something about having to chum to catch Cobia.

Anyways, nice fish, man.

Frosty 05-14-2014 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4157304)
I thought I recognized that marina... Went out of that same marina a couple weeks ago fishing for Reds, but got skunked. Apparently it's a little early in the season. We also hit up the jetties to fish for sea bass, flounder, and some other species (I believe), with no luck. I'm not an avid angler- just joined a couple of guys I know who have fished down there a good bit. One of them mentioned wanting to target Cobia, but apparenlty those are a little further out than they felt comfortable taking a 17 foot Key Largo on that day... oh and someone said something about having to chum to catch Cobia.

Anyways, nice fish, man.

The Reds are here. To answer some of the questions asked, I don't do any fly fishing charters since my boat is a 24 Pathfinder with a top. I usually send those charters to one of my flats boat buddies.
The fish wasn't wormy but the consistency of the meat was a lot like raw chicken. It is good eating, even though I have had better. So far we have griilled and fried it.

Copperhead 05-14-2014 08:05 PM

Bouys or open water with bottom? Nevermind. I wouldn't tell me either. At least come clean with the bait. P.L. told me about this yesterday, so close to State guys. That fat joker must have screamed some line off when it realized it was hooked. I do love me some lemonfish. How was JR's arm afterwards?

Copperhead 05-14-2014 08:15 PM

Oh, forgot to add that I have an excellent and pretty simple recipe (30 min and done)for stew if you want it. I'll post it tomorrow on this thread

Frosty 05-14-2014 08:39 PM

We drove all over the ocean looking for them and found that one a mile off dewees inlet on the surface. Pitched a live blue crab in front of it and it was Game on.

CockyLifer 05-15-2014 12:05 AM

Some beautiful fish you have there friend.:-o