CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   ACC vs ACC (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206553)

kick_ball 05-15-2014 11:02 AM

ACC vs ACC

the acc wants to play non-conference games against ... duh duh duh ... themselves

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ther-acc-teams

Quote:

"It's going to be more challenging to find nonconference games," James said. "A conference like the SEC doesn't want to play us. Florida has Florida State, so we're not going to have an opportunity to play them."

offered with no commentary

ScottK 05-15-2014 11:12 AM

Re: ACC vs ACC

What? I skimmed through the article but how does playing a team in your conference count as a non conference game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kick_ball 05-15-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottK (Post 4157885)
What? I skimmed through the article but how does playing a team in your conference count as a non conference game?

they would play their 8 conference games and then another game against a conferece team that wouldnt count towards their conferece record

the example they gave as NC State wont play Duke for a long time but since they are so close, a bus ride, they may want to schedule them as a "non-conferece" game

rioninusc 05-15-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

They just schedule it, and don't count it as a conference game. My question is why are they only at 15 teams? Are they hoping ND will eventually join them?

Spurrier told teams like BAMA/AU to schedule UT/UGA as a non conference game the years they didn't play. It would of helped getting through the SEC quicker with no cross division rivals.

crowcutta 05-15-2014 11:34 AM

if youre that concerned about not playing enough teams in the other division then go to a 9 game schedule. have each team play the same amount of home games within their division, go with division record as the way of crowning the division champ with overall conference record as the 2nd tiebreaker and call it a day. that in essence lessens the significance of the outside division conference opponents as well but at least it isnt the farce that the nonconference conference game would be.

spurrier brought up something similar, but it was a dig at alabama more than anything.

Lonnie 05-15-2014 11:36 AM

Still a bunch of cupcake games....

SCohioBoy 05-15-2014 11:39 AM

Next step is they will just hand out thier own NC, like Daboy wants.

Todd803 05-15-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Remember it's only unthinkable if you don't think it. Non-conference games with in-conference teams, what's confusing about that? Only that no one does it at all, ever, at all. Well it sure as heck won't help their strength of schedule.

COCKDIESEL 05-15-2014 11:52 AM

I thought the idea was to add to your SOS not make it weaker.

bhusc2002 05-15-2014 12:03 PM

"A conference like the SEC doesn't want to play us"

Here is a quick list I grabbed off the internet of SEC vs ACC games from last season:

8/29 - UNC at Carolina
8/31 - VPI vs Alabama (Played in Atlanta)
8/31 - Georgia at Clemson
9/7 - Florida at Miami
11/30 - Clemson at Carolina
11/30 - FSU at Florida
11/30 - Wake at Vanderbilt
11/30 - Georgia at Georgia Tech

That's 8 games of SEC vs ACC. It will increase next year with UK playing Louisville, since Louisville will be ACC.

Cockypantherfan 05-15-2014 12:12 PM

So instead of going outside the conference to play a non conference game they are trying to count another conference opponent as "non-conference". To me it seems like they are just trying to pad their W-L in order to make it easier for ACC teams to reach the playoffs. Of course a team like NC St. would rather play Virginia or whoever instead of playing say a team from the Big 10 or something like that. Freaking losers breeding a losing mentality.

robgusc76 05-15-2014 12:20 PM

Its only unthinkable if you dont think it.

bhusc2002 05-15-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4157959)

It's only unplayable if you don't play it!

Lonnie 05-15-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL (Post 4157932)
I thought the idea was to add to your SOS not make it weaker.

:clap::clap::clap:

rdwylie 05-15-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4157959)

It is also ununderstandable if you don't understand it.

Lalli25 05-15-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4157897)
They just schedule it, and don't count it as a conference game. My question is why are they only at 15 teams? Are they hoping ND will eventually join them?

Spurrier told teams like BAMA/AU to schedule UT/UGA as a non conference game the years they didn't play. It would of helped getting through the SEC quicker with no cross division rivals.

ND is the 15th team in the league, except in football. ND agreed to play like 5 ACC teams a year in football, to qualify for ACC bowl slots but won't be an full member. It is similar to what they did with the Big East.

I actually have no problem with leagues doing this. I think the SEC should do this rather than the 9 game conference schedule. Let teams who have rivalries or are in close proximity and want to save money, play every year. At the end of the day, it is likely to be a more enjoyable game for the fans than some random FCS school or a low FBS school.

CockyLifer 05-15-2014 01:37 PM

Hey if this starts when they go to picking who plays the conference championship can we pick and choose which conference losses count towards our "actual" total.

JerseyBird 05-15-2014 01:55 PM

It's only Non-conference if they aren't in your...oh nvmd

CockyLifer 05-15-2014 02:15 PM

:clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4158045)
It's only Non-conference if they aren't in your...oh nvmd

:clap:

HUGEGARNETCOCK 05-15-2014 02:27 PM

This is a joke! Conference is conference. Scapegoat