CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Blue water at Folly (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206564)

usc1 05-15-2014 10:48 PM

Blue water at Folly

Has anyone been down to Folly over the last few weeks? Don't think SC has ever seen this shade of blue at the shore. I went over to Folly last week and it felt like I was in The Caymans or Jamaica. Pretty awesome sight to see.

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...s-xyxy-xyxy-xy

ccured 05-15-2014 10:55 PM

Re: Blue water at Folly

That's crazy

SwampFox 05-15-2014 11:04 PM

Enjoy it while it last.

uscGRAD04 05-15-2014 11:09 PM

Maybe its the gators

ElectricCock 05-15-2014 11:35 PM

Spent some time there over the weekend it was beautiful

Spurticus 05-15-2014 11:41 PM

Caused by Global Warming

Transmaniacon 05-16-2014 02:32 AM

It is because there is no sand. I don't know why that article makes it seem so mysterious. I was at Folly Saturday. There currently is a huge steel pipe pumping sand right there on the beach. If you go in the water, you'll feel like you're walking on cobblestone, which has to be a little dangerous for bodysurfing and the like. It does look cool, though.

Travelin 05-16-2014 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 4159085)
It is because there is no sand. I don't know why that article makes it seem so mysterious. I was at Folly Saturday. There currently is a huge steel pipe pumping sand right there on the beach. If you go in the water, you'll feel like you're walking on cobblestone, which has to be a little dangerous for bodysurfing and the like. It does look cool, though.

Everyone loves a mystery!

eightohhthree 05-16-2014 09:49 AM

Thats awesome. Have never seen it in Folly like that. Blue, clear water is why I vacation at the Emerald Coast every year. Can't beat it.

usc1 05-16-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 4159085)

Yeah I saw that and figured it might be contributing to it. Folly should keep doing what they're doing though, there's no beach with water like that right now within 500 miles and certainly not in SC.

Tony 05-16-2014 09:54 AM

I recall an older woman who lived at Isle of Palms, most of her life I believe. She said one summer day the ocean was completely still and flat, like a mill pond. No waves or ripples even on the beach. That had to be creepy!

Gamecocks1137 05-16-2014 10:46 AM

I went down to Folly the week of the Spring Game, water didn't look all that blue to me.

HeadCockFan 05-16-2014 10:55 AM

It's from a water density effect, caused by the dredging. The same thing happened on the sound side of the outerbanks about ten years ago. Something happens to the water above a dredged area that makes it more dense than normal. On the edge of this boundary, the water can fall into an underwater basin, which forces less dense clean water on top of it. The double layer can cause weird light effects. I remember seeing a large green spot in the sound, which was usually dark brown. I made up all of this.

bigdawg77 05-16-2014 11:08 AM

Sweet

MisterClowney 05-16-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 4159182)
I recall an older woman who lived at Isle of Palms, most of her life I believe. She said one summer day the ocean was completely still and flat, like a mill pond. No waves or ripples even on the beach. That had to be creepy!

Sounds gulf side of Florida on days where the wind isn't blowing.

smoovecock 05-16-2014 12:51 PM

Those damn Smurfs are messing around with all the Pot Heads and Hypies again....

Jethro Beaver 05-16-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoovecock (Post 4159344)
Those damn Smurfs are messing around with all the Pot Heads and Hypies again....

Yup, Smurff Pi$$.

jrussjr 05-16-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoovecock (Post 4159344)

Done smurfed up again!!