CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Going to Isle of Palms next month.. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206570)

M.C. 05-16-2014 12:30 PM

Going to Isle of Palms next month..

I have never been to Charleston before. Any suggestions on what to do would be
appreciated.

Points for suggestions!

Thanks
M.C.

Gamecocks1137 05-16-2014 12:31 PM

Re: Going to Isle of Palms next month..

A walk down Church Street is a must.

usc1 05-16-2014 12:46 PM

Going there for the month? Nice. Too many suggestions to list right now

M.C. 05-16-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4159334)
Going there for the month? Nice. Too many suggestions to list right now

haha no just for a week

roosterdave 05-16-2014 01:17 PM

You're going to have a huge list before this is all said and done, so I'll only offer 2 things. Eat at Fleet Landing. Take a Ghost tour or Carriage Tour.

M.C. 05-16-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosterdave (Post 4159363)
You're going to have a huge list before this is all said and done, so I'll only offer 2 things. Eat at Fleet Landing. Take a Ghost tour or Carriage Tour.

Thanks for the ideas..the more the better this way I can just keep going back to this thread

jccgogamecocks 05-16-2014 01:29 PM

Hymans seafood is a must. They have agreat bloody mary as well.

GamecockNGA 05-16-2014 01:33 PM

Eat breakfast at Toast and Horminy Grill

ktguen 05-16-2014 02:06 PM

+1 for Hominy Grill

Copperhead 05-16-2014 02:15 PM

Where on IOP; beach house, Sea Cabins, or The Palms(only asking to be able to give you some things that may be walking distance) and do you have kids with you?

kick_ball 05-16-2014 02:16 PM

Hominy Grill for breakfest + Blind Tiger pub for lunch + pane e vino dinner add in a trip to patriots point/fort sumter = a great day in the holy city

M.C. 05-16-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 4159438)
Where on IOP (beach house, Sea Cabins, or The Palms} and do you have kids with you?

It is a beach house and one kid my daughter everyone else is over 21

USCBatgirl21 05-16-2014 03:17 PM

Fleet Landing - sit on the porch if you can, Hanks, Boathouse at Breech Inlet for seafood. I don't like Hymans. Used to before I moved here, but found it's the classic tourist trap and you can find much better seafood for the same price elsewhere in Charleston. Pane e Vino is a good recommendation too. Hominy Grill is a must for breakfast, as well as Boulevard Diner for breakfast (or lunch). And I'm embarrassed to admit that I have no idea of Jestine's has reopened yet after the kitchen fire. If it has, go there for some good Southern food. Tommy Condon's Irish Pub on Church is good too.

Lucas' Belgian Chocolates at the corner of State and Market for the chocolate dipped strawberries. Seriously...these strawberries are the size of your hand. AWESOME to munch on while walking through the Market.

Also, it's a requirement to do the harbor tour to Ft Sumter at least once in your life, and a Charleston Carriage Tour. The Ghost Tours are fun too.

Other than that, just enjoy having your toes in the sand and a cold beverage in hand.

davidmc467 05-16-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jccgogamecocks (Post 4159381)
Hymans seafood is a must. They have agreat bloody mary as well.

No, Hymans is not a must.

Don't go to Hymans.

So many better options.

rrsandersjr 05-16-2014 03:48 PM

On IOP, breaksfast at the Sea Biscuit, casual beachfront dining at Coconut Joes, fine dining at The Boathouse. On Sullivans, Poes(the best burgers) & Taco Mac for casual, Salt is cool place for casual and fine dining and High Tymes has the best brunch.

pitchcock 05-16-2014 04:20 PM

Seems like the only people that recommend Hyman's live somewhere other than Charleston. To me it's a classic tourist trap, but apparently a lot of people like it.

If you're looking for "family" places to eat, Page's Okra Grill in Mt Pleasant is pretty good, but be warned it can get crowded. Might be tough to get tables for a big group together.

The Wreck on Shem Creek is dumpy and difficult to find, and the seafood is simply served on paper plates. It's overpriced a bit now compared to what it used to be before it was "discovered" by everyone, but it's hard to beat the view of Shem Creek while you're drinking a beer waiting on a table. They do serve boiled peanuts on the tables, so if someone in your family has a peanut allergy (like my daughter), stay away.

Likewise, Bowen's Island out towards Folly is equally (or more) dumpy than the Wreck, serves seafood on paper plates, but has a great water view. Personally, I like Bowens more than the Wreck, but both are good.

You can't go wrong at a beachouse buying some shrimp at Shem Creek and making Frogmore stew or just boiled shrimp.

If you get a chance park by the Ravenel Bridge and walk the bridge over the river, the view is great. Walk the Battery, and my favorite walk is the upper end of Folly by the Lighthouse. Great place for pictures.

garnet_black215 05-16-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockNGA (Post 4159385)
Eat breakfast at Toast and Horminy Grill

Every time me and my girlfriend go to Charleston, Toast is always PACKED. I'm talking 25-30 people waiting outside the restaurant. I've always wanted to go there but don't feel like waiting.

Also, reading this thread and the 15 best places to eat in Charleston thread in Carolina Eats makes me realize how many places in Charleston I need to visit.

Biocockanics 05-16-2014 04:52 PM

Kudu's if you're a coffee or beer guy...watch out for the hipsters...they're everywhere

http://kuducoffeeandcraftbeer.com/

Gamecocks1137 05-16-2014 05:17 PM

Most of those craft beer places I avoid, their beer sucks.

Biocockanics 05-16-2014 05:35 PM

mainstreamist.