CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Marcus Lattimore statue (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206586)

Cock Kool-Aid 05-17-2014 01:04 PM

Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Why hasn't that happened yet?

kingoftheroost 05-17-2014 01:10 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Well, in my opinion, because it shouldn't, at least not based on what he has done to this point. It could change in the future, though.

TonyVercetti 05-17-2014 01:16 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Why would it?

He didnt win a heisman, didnt win a sec chpionship or national championship .

Didnt break the rushing record.

Sure hes a great gamecock. And one of the best. But his career never reached its potential.

Rebel4ever 05-17-2014 01:31 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
HBC needs one after he does what he came here to do. I want him to break Bear Bryant's SEC wins record.

uscgamecocks88 05-17-2014 01:39 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Marcus was a hell of a player, but he didn't win a championship. Hell, he only played in one bowl game, and it wasn't even for an entire quarter.

I think spurrier deserves a statue. Or rename the field after him or something.

trapper82 05-17-2014 01:49 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4ever (Post 4160229)
HBC needs one after he does what he came here to do. I want him to break Bear Bryant's SEC wins record.

When he wins the SEC here and breaks Bear Bryant record here he should get a statue and the field named Spurrier Field at WB stadium. He is an legend now, if he pulls those things off he is top 3-5 college coach of all time.

And yes, then we can nickname the stadium "The Spur"

Gamecocks1137 05-17-2014 01:51 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4160243)
When he wins the SEC here and breaks Bear Bryant record here he should get a statue and the field named Spurrier Field at WB stadium. He is an legend now, if he pulls those things off he is top 3-5 college coach of all time.

And yes, then we can nickname the stadium "The Spur"

Nah, IMO if he wins and SEC here and breaks Bear Bryant's Record, then most likely he will have won a National Title as well. He would be the best of all time in my book.

uscfreek88 05-17-2014 01:55 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
ML is my favorite Gamecock of all time....but if you dont win a NC, you dont get a statue....same for Spurrier

Cock Kool-Aid 05-17-2014 02:04 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
IDGAF about anything that's been said in this thread to this point.

Marcus Lattimore's contributions to this program exceed any physical award, trophy, championship IMO.

I was being partially facetious, but I really do feel that he should be honored in some way... besides what's been done so far. His career, stats, performances, etc were all cut short by very unfortunate, severe, tragic injuries... That's not his fault and I don't feel his legacy should be tainted by that. In fact, I think it's even more reason for the University to extend a gesture.

The guy is an inspiration IMO and is someone that all our future players, and even coaches/staff, can look up to. I think having his image/name visible as much as possible would be a positive.

weatheredxtown 05-17-2014 02:07 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Sure, Marcus should be honored. But not with a statue. MAYBE retiring his number, but most likely just a plaque.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandstorm2001 05-17-2014 02:09 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
A statue would be a lot of overkill.

Spurrier_Superior_One 05-17-2014 02:13 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
George Rogers won a Heisman and doesn't have a statue, Tommy Suggs won an ACC Championship and doesn't have a statue. Lattimore never played a full season so his full potential was never reached but just because a player is popular doesn't not merit a statue. His name is on the Concourse of Champions for his TD records which is appropriate but he hasn't earned a sign on the 4 Towers much less a statue. This constant yearly praise of recent players as are these players the best ever needs to stop. Just as it wasn't long after Connor Shaw's final game ended he was called the best QB in USC history, well what about Suggs, Ellis, Tanneyhill, Mitchell, Garcia each have accomplishments that seperates them apart, they are great in their own right but until someone not named Big George Rogers wins a Heisman he is the greatest Gamecock player of all time.

Dizzy01 05-17-2014 02:14 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Does Big George have a statue? He at least won the Heisman.

Cockypantherfan 05-17-2014 02:14 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyVercetti (Post 4160224)
Why would it?

He didnt win a heisman, didnt win a sec chpionship or national championship .

Didnt break the rushing record.

Sure hes a great gamecock. And one of the best. But his career never reached its potential.

This. Everyone loves Marcus and he was great but his career doesn't warrant a statue.

Yearofthegamecock 05-17-2014 02:17 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4160260)
George Rogers won a Heisman and doesn't have a statue, Tommy Suggs won an ACC Championship and doesn't have a statue. Lattimore never played a full season so his full potential was never reached but just because a player is popular doesn't not merit a statue. His name is on the Concourse of Champions for his TD records which is appropriate but he hasn't earned a sign on the 4 Towers much less a statue. This constant yearly praise of recent players as are these players the best ever needs to stop. Just as it wasn't long after Connor Shaw's final game ended he was called the best QB in USC history, well what about Suggs, Ellis, Tanneyhill, Mitchell, Garcia each have accomplishments that seperates them apart, they are great in their own right but until someone not named Big George Rogers wins a Heisman he is the greatest Gamecock player of all time.

But Shaw is the best qb in USC history

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

uscgamecocks88 05-17-2014 02:29 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Well they did name it George Rodgers Blvd..

Gamecocks1137 05-17-2014 02:32 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4160260)
George Rogers won a Heisman and doesn't have a statue, Tommy Suggs won an ACC Championship and doesn't have a statue. Lattimore never played a full season so his full potential was never reached but just because a player is popular doesn't not merit a statue. His name is on the Concourse of Champions for his TD records which is appropriate but he hasn't earned a sign on the 4 Towers much less a statue. This constant yearly praise of recent players as are these players the best ever needs to stop. Just as it wasn't long after Connor Shaw's final game ended he was called the best QB in USC history, well what about Suggs, Ellis, Tanneyhill, Mitchell, Garcia each have accomplishments that seperates them apart, they are great in their own right but until someone not named Big George Rogers wins a Heisman he is the greatest Gamecock player of all time.

Well, from my standpoint, Marcus has done more for this University than any of the people you mentioned. Yeh Rodgers won a Heisman, Suggs an ACC, but neither of them did what Lattimore has done for this program. Lattimore almost single handidly changed the atmosphere of South Carolina football.

FlorenceCock 05-17-2014 02:36 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
https://warosu.org/data/vr/img/0006/...7812999945.gif

BlueHerons 05-17-2014 02:38 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4160272)
Well, from my standpoint, Marcus has done more for this University than any of the people you mentioned. Yeh Rodgers won a Heisman, Suggs an ACC, but neither of them did what Lattimore has done for this program. Lattimore almost single handidly changed the atmosphere of South Carolina football.

Actually, Spurrier has done more for South Carolina than anyone else.

Spurrier_Superior_One 05-17-2014 02:41 PM

Re: Marcus Lattimore statue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4160272)
Well, from my standpoint, Marcus has done more for this University than any of the people you mentioned. Yeh Rodgers won a Heisman, Suggs an ACC, but neither of them did what Lattimore has done for this program. Lattimore almost single handidly changed the atmosphere of South Carolina football.

Had Big George, Sharpe, Suggs, Tanneyhill had they played in today's up to the second sports news and social media their play would have brought the exact same level of media exposure. If any player can be given credit for helping with the changing of the atmosphere at USC is Stephen Gilmore, he never gets the credit he deserves for his part in changing the culture.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.