CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   AT&T to announce DirecTV takeover (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206588)

The Yancey 05-17-2014 03:31 PM

AT&T to announce DirecTV takeover

AT&T Inc is set to announce its expected acquisition of top U.S. satellite TV operator DirecTV on Sunday, according to a report by online news website Buzzfeed.com.

A spokesman for AT&T said the firm would make no comment on the report. DirecTV did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

AT&T has been in active discussions to buy DirecTV for nearly $50 billion (29.7 billion pounds), or low to mid-$90s per share, and has been working to finalize a deal in the next few weeks, Reuters reported last Monday.

Citing a source close to DirecTV, Buzzfeed.com said that DirecTV chief executive Mike White has told senior executives a deal had been reached and would be announced Sunday.

Reuters reported this week that AT&T was working with investment bank Lazard Ltd in talks for a potential takeover of DirecTV.

http://news.msn.com/science-technolo...-sunday-report

FlorenceCock 05-17-2014 03:54 PM

Re: AT&T to announce DirecTV takeover

The DOJ has to do something about all of these huge corporations merging and making monopolies.

Gamecock303 05-17-2014 04:07 PM

as long as DirecTV carries the SEC network I dont care who owns them

Gamecocks1137 05-17-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecock303 (Post 4160346)
as long as DirecTV carries the SEC network I dont care who owns them

This^ I was starting to get worried for a minute there.

CaptainCock91 05-17-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlorenceCock (Post 4160329)
The DOJ has to do something about all of these huge corporations merging and making monopolies.

I think the DOJ still has to approve it.

Gamecocks1137 05-17-2014 07:03 PM

Technically it is not really a monopoly seeing how there are numerous other companies who offer TV/Internet service.

2000grad 05-17-2014 08:54 PM

if AT&T is smart, they will keep the DirecTV name when they enter into certain areas so that they will be allowed there. AT&T is not allowed in Lexington. If they kept some type of separate division and allow them to run under that name and almost as a para AT&T entity, they can go into places but they are not allowed in.

Gamecocks1137 05-17-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4160996)
if AT&T is smart, they will keep the DirecTV name when they enter into certain areas so that they will be allowed there. AT&T is not allowed in Lexington. If they kept some type of separate division and allow them to run under that name and almost as a para AT&T entity, they can go into places but they are not allowed in.

I have had Direct TV for almost 20 years, I am a very valued customer, and they give me slack in areas at times I am sure they don't everyone else. Will this be erased as soon as AT&T takes over? That is all I am worried about.

b381l 05-17-2014 10:09 PM

This puts A T & T on par with Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon being able to offer a complete package (phone, internet and TV) to DIRECTV customers. DIRECTV now offers internet service but it's very expensive.

Cock Kool-Aid 05-17-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4161064)
This puts A T & T on par with Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon being able to offer a complete package (phone, internet and TV) to DIRECTV customers. DIRECTV now offers internet service but it's very expensive.

If they're just taking over directv existing satellite network then there's still lots of places where people will have the tv service but no AT&T internet available.

Gamecocks1137 05-18-2014 06:38 PM

Its Official.. AT&T buys DirecTV for 48.5 Billion dollars.
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/05/..._20140518&_r=0

b381l 05-18-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4161071)
If they're just taking over directv existing satellite network then there's still lots of places where people will have the tv service but no AT&T internet available.

this helps AT&T get their foot in the doors of Directv satellite customers (like myself).

RudeCock 05-18-2014 07:30 PM

I guess the DTV subscribers will have the SEC Network. Big acquisition but I guess if it was alright for Comcast then it should be alright for AT&T. I like AT&T because they aren't scared to spend money to get what they want.

The Yancey 05-18-2014 07:31 PM

While it may be bad news from an anti-competitive standpoint is is good news for my Direct TV stock. :)